Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How do I evaluate studies and theories?

I know for studies you use GRAVE, but what do you use for theories?

ReputationRep:
    you can use SPODA
    supporting evidence, problems with that evidence, opposing evidence, different theories and application to real life

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tanisha0729)
    you can use SPODA
    supporting evidence, problems with that evidence, opposing evidence, different theories and application to real life
    thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OrdinaryStudent)
    How do I evaluate studies and theories?

I know for studies you use GRAVE, but what do you use for theories?
    We use SCOUT
    Supporting evidence
    Conflicting evidence
    Opposing theories
    Usefulness
    Testability of supporting evidence

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hame)
    We use SCOUT
    Supporting evidence
    Conflicting evidence
    Opposing theories
    Usefulness
    basically the exact same as above

So generally you need supporting and opposing evidence, a different theory (as a comparison) and application (to real life), as well as evaluation of the methodology of supporting and opposing studies if you want, but you don't need to learn that for everything

ReputationRep:
    Hello guys,

I self-teach Psychology and I'm usually lost on the 8/12 mark questions

Can you please help?

Thank you so much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rileystringer1)
    basically the exact same as above

So generally you need supporting and opposing evidence, a different theory (as a comparison) and application (to real life), as well as evaluation of the methodology of supporting and opposing studies if you want, but you don't need to learn that for everything
    (Original post by hame)
    We use SCOUT
    Supporting evidence
    Conflicting evidence
    Opposing theories
    Usefulness
    thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ata2ud)
    Hello guys,

I self-teach Psychology and I'm usually lost on the 8/12 mark questions

Can you please help?

Thank you so much!
    on the 8 markers you have to do 4 description points and 4 evaluation points (usually 2 SEL- State, evaluate and link to the study and question)
    on 12 markers it's the same but 6 description points and 6 evaluation points so usually 3 SELs

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hame)
    on the 8 markers you have to do 4 description points and 4 evaluation points (usually 2 SEL- State, evaluate and link to the study and question)
    on 12 markers it's the same but 6 description points and 6 evaluation points so usually 3 SELs

Posted from TSR Mobile
    THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Not to seem too demanding, but what exactly are SELs? and how would we approach the evaluate section of SELs?

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Not to seem too demanding, but what exactly are SELs? and how would we approach the evaluate section of SELs?

Thank you!
    That's no problem!!
    The S is either the GRAVE or SCOUT point.
    The E is an explanation of the previous point
    The L is the link back to the question
    for example
    Evaluate Milgrams original study SEL would be:
    (S) Milgrams study is high in reliability
    (E) This is due to the standardised procedures and lab setting. This limited confounding variables and the standardised procedures meant that the study could be reproduced and would produce the same results in order to check for reliability.
    (L) For example each participant was given a sample shock of 45v before the study and was the asked to ask the 'learner' questions and give shocks from 15v-450v in 15v intervals for any wrong answers given.

If this doesn't make sense let me know and I'll try to better explain it!! and if you want to know anything else I'd be happy to help

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hame)
    That's no problem!!
    The S is either the GRAVE or SCOUT point.
    The E is an explanation of the previous point
    The L is the link back to the question
    for example
    Evaluate Milgrams original study SEL would be:
    (S) Milgrams study is high in reliability
    (E) This is due to the standardised procedures and lab setting. This limited confounding variables and the standardised procedures meant that the study could be reproduced and would produce the same results in order to check for reliability.
    (L) For example each participant was given a sample shock of 45v before the study and was the asked to ask the 'learner' questions and give shocks from 15v-450v in 15v intervals for any wrong answers given.

If this doesn't make sense let me know and I'll try to better explain it!! and if you want to know anything else I'd be happy to help

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you so much!!!

Just one small thing haha, what's the SCOUT point?
    From the example, I've understood what you said, but I thought the SCOUT point had to include Supporting evidence, Conflicting evidence, opposing evidence, usefulness, and whatever the T means Please clarify

I love you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <3

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much!!!

Just one small thing haha, what's the SCOUT point?
    From the example, I've understood what you said, but I thought the SCOUT point had to include Supporting evidence, Conflicting evidence, opposing evidence, usefulness, and whatever the T means Please clarify

I love you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <3
    You use GRAVE to evaluate studies and SCOUT to evaluate theories so because I was evaluating Milgrams I used the V from GRAVE, hope that helps!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hame)
    You use GRAVE to evaluate studies and SCOUT to evaluate theories so because I was evaluating Milgrams I used the V from GRAVE, hope that helps!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It does! Do you mind me asking if you're doing the A level or AS course?

ReputationRep:
    It does! Do you mind me asking if you're doing the A level or AS course?
    of course not! I'm doing the AS course this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hame)
    of course not! I'm doing the AS course this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi! I'm also taking the AS this year and I was wondering what your were planning on doing/ have done for the practicals?

(I'm home schooled so it's a bit harder for me to get mine done)

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Devinely)
    Hi! I'm also taking the AS this year and I was wondering what your were planning on doing/ have done for the practicals?

(I'm home schooled so it's a bit harder for me to get mine done)

Thanks
    hey!!
    we've done all the practicals for the 4 sections. They have been:
    social- self perception of obedience in a males and females via a questionnaire
    cog- see whether categorisation of words would increase the number of words recalled from prepared word lists of 30 words
    biology- aggression levels via self report compared to height
    learning- whether makes or females are most likely to hold open the door for there

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hame)
    hey!!
    we've done all the practicals for the 4 sections. They have been:
    social- self perception of obedience in a males and females via a questionnaire
    cog- see whether categorisation of words would increase the number of words recalled from prepared word lists of 30 words
    biology- aggression levels via self report compared to height
    learning- whether makes or females are most likely to hold open the door for there

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hello!

Sorry for the late reply. I just wanted to say thanks for the post, it's been a lot of help

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm doing a Unit 1 resit after two years away from study and have forgotten how to revise everything. I'm also doing this independently so don't have any teachers or anything to ask. I'm going by the specification online, but the wording of the assessment objectives are confusing me.
    For example, in the Social approach 2b is: Identify, describe and apply unstructured, structured and semistructured interviews, open and closed questions, alternative hypothesis and issues around designing surveys.

What does it mean apply? Apply to what?
    I'd appreciate anyone shedding some light on this, I have no clue what it means. Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by R.E.W)
    Hey, I'm doing a Unit 1 resit after two years away from study and have forgotten how to revise everything. I'm also doing this independently so don't have any teachers or anything to ask. I'm going by the specification online, but the wording of the assessment objectives are confusing me.
    For example, in the Social approach 2b is: Identify, describe and apply unstructured, structured and semistructured interviews, open and closed questions, alternative hypothesis and issues around designing surveys.

What does it mean apply? Apply to what?
    I'd appreciate anyone shedding some light on this, I have no clue what it means. Cheers
    I think this is referring to them asking you to plan your own survey, or give you a scenario and you have to plan the survey for the person in the scenario and how they would go about it

ReputationRep:
    I thought that too, but isn't that number 6?

6. Evidence of practice: short survey: (3)

(a) Devise and conduct one practical to gather data relevant to topics covered in the Social Approach, which must be a survey (questionnaire or interview) to gather relevant data. The survey should gather both qualitative and quantitative data. This practical must be designed and conducted according to ethical principles.
    Suitable examples:
    - gender differences in obedience
    - prejudicial attitudes towards age
    - in group/out group attitudes.

(b) Make design decisions in devising an interview schedule/ questionnaire including sampling decisions.

(c) Collect data and present an analysis of both the qualitative and quantitative data and draw brief conclusions about the topic from the analyses.

It's more the phrasing I don't get. Number 7 is identify, describe and apply the following: (then all the methodology, again).

Is apply just applying them to real life? As in, an example? I can't think of what else it would mean.. Thanks for your help.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.