The Student Room Group

Dropping two AS subjects now

Hello there,
I would like to drop History and Biology as I am not enjoying them and they would not contribute to my pursuit of a finance related career/economics degree at university. Therefore, is there any chance I could drop them now and continue with my two other subjects (Economics and Geography). I would pick up Maths and Computer Science next year (which are two subjects I enjoy and would contribute in me attaining my chosen career path) and stay an extra year to complete A2 Maths and the Computer Science A Level. Will this be possible at this stage of the year?
Original post by aj122
Hello there,
I would like to drop History and Biology as I am not enjoying them and they would not contribute to my pursuit of a finance related career/economics degree at university. Therefore, is there any chance I could drop them now and continue with my two other subjects (Economics and Geography). I would pick up Maths and Computer Science next year (which are two subjects I enjoy and would contribute in me attaining my chosen career path) and stay an extra year to complete A2 Maths and the Computer Science A Level. Will this be possible at this stage of the year?

It depends on your school and also whether or not a university is happy with a levels being taken over 3 years.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
It depends on your school and also whether or not a university is happy with a levels being taken over 3 years.

I have emailed universities such as UCL and Cambridge. UCL stated that it may be an issue regarding an economics degree however they are unable to provide and accurate answer as it is dependent on the strength of the application, grades and number of applicants that year. Cambridge stated that it would be a problem however it is required to inform individual colleges.

I am becoming increasingly interested in school leaver programmes and was worried whether the extra year taking Maths and Computer Science would hinder my chances of gaining enrolment on one of these programmes.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do as I am in a complex situation which if fairly serious?

Quick Reply

Latest