• TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by acupofgreentea)
    The strange thing is everyone I know who lives in Widnes shops at the Morrisons. :erm:

While it is great because it means you practically have Tesco to yourself when you go, it's also a tad concerning. Is there something about that Tesco Widnesians aren't telling us outsiders? :ninja:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Also, I don't have a Morrisons near me, so you're merely emphasising your supermarket privilege here. :hand:
    Every Widnesian I know does too! :lol: I hate it. It's so expensive in there! A lot of people I've asked have preconceived ideas about Tesco though and won't go there out of force of habit :lol:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Where I live full-time, we have ASDA, Morrisons, Waitrose (LOL), Tesco (:love:), Sainsbury's, Co-op, ALDI, Lidl, Iceland and various others…. so definitely very overprivileged in the supermarket department… :hand:

ReputationRep:
    40/100.

Interesting.

ReputationRep:
    anything > buzzfeed

ReputationRep:
    47/100

ReputationRep:
    56, I think that's all the gayness though lol

ReputationRep:
    66/100

Then again, it's Buzzfeed, so I think I'll just disregard it completely.

ReputationRep:
    59/100, "quite privileged". BS quiz tbh, lol @ selecting "I am a man" giving you privilege points... Oh, and apparently I missed out on points for not being able to select "I've never been called a fag" even though I'm not gay, my mates are just lads being lads and calling each other ****.

ReputationRep:

Some (most) of these questions annoy me though, particularly the 'are your parents rich or not' ones. They're so binary and more about 'typical things that kids with rich parents do', and 'if you don't do them, you must be poor' when the reality might be 'I have no interest in doing them'.

'I have never been mocked for my accent' - if you tick that it lowers your score because the assumption is you must have a strong regional accent, which I'm guessing is meant to suggest a working class background. Tbh having a posh voice can also sometimes lead to being mocked.

'I went to an elite college' - Is this is the US equivalent of the Russell Group? Or is this only the likes of Oxbridge, Durham, Imperial? etc. I go to a Redbrick University, is that 'elite'? Well, it's in the top 20, but not the top 10, so therefore I must be severely underprivileged...

'I had a car in high school' - Lots of people have cars in high school whether their parents are well-off or not, actually bothering to learn and pay insurance for it is a choice.

'I studied abroad' - Most people at university have this option, if you can't 'afford it' you can get funding for it. Again, personal choice. I couldn't be bothered to take a year out for study, I wanted to finish university sooner and graduate at the same time as everyone else I knew.

'I have never been depressed' - I think depression/mental health problems have just as much to do with intelligence as financial difficulty (by which I mean stupid people tend to be happier. But then that means being stupid is a 'privilege'.

'I went to Summer camp' - Again, personal choice. I didn't go because I had no interest and I don't have obsessive, ambitious parents who insist I do things that 'other middle-class children do'. That doesn't necessarily mean I'm 'not middle-class' (well, it probably does in these stupid class-obsessed times).

'I've always had cable' - My parents could probably afford cable if they really wanted to but they're aware it's just hundreds of channels of crap.

'I've never had a roommate' - God is this still a thing? In most universities no one has to share a room.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaskOfKeaton)

Some (most) of these questions annoy me though, particularly the 'are your parents rich or not' ones. They're more about 'typical things that kids with rich parents do', and 'if you don't do them, you must be poor', rather than simply having no interest in doing them.

'I have never been mocked for my accent' - if you tick that it lowers your score because the assumption is you have a strong regional accent, but having a posh accent can also lead to being mocked, but sounding posh means you probably are posh, which is a 'privilege', so how does that work?

'I went to an elite college' - Is this is the US equivalent of the Russell Group? Or is this only Oxbridge, Durham, Imperial? etc. I go to a Redbrick University, is that 'elite'? Well, it's in the top 20, but not the top 10, so therefore I must be severely underprivileged...

'I had a car in high school' - Lots of people have cars in high school whether their parents are well-off or not, actually bothering to learn and pay insurance for it is more of a matter of choice.

'I studied abroad' - Most people at university have this option, if you can't 'afford it' you can get funding for it. Again, personal choice. I couldn't be bothered to take a year out for study and I wanted to graduate at the same time as everyone I'd already met.

'I have never been depressed' - Depression/mental health problems has more to do with intelligence/mentality than financial difficulty - stupid people arguably don't get depressed as much, or as easily. But then that means being stupid is a 'privilege'. Some of the most well educated people I know are depressed/neurotic.

'I went to Summer camp' - Again, personal choice. I didn't go because I had no interest and I don't have obsessive, ambitious parents who insist I do these things that 'other middle-class children do'. That doesn't necessarily mean I'm from a poor background.

'I've always had cable' - My parents could afford cable if they wanted to but they are intelligent to realise that most TV is crap (and they're more into reading books), but no, I don't have it so therefore I'm not privileged...

'I've never had a roommate' - God is this still a thing in university accommodation? At my university no one has to share a room, and not everyone who goes to it is from a rich background.
    Disgusting. Stop trying to justify your privilege and respect the struggles of the not so privileged people among us.

ReputationRep:
    Come at me
    Feels good having it easy in life!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NickLCFC)
    Disgusting. Stop trying to justify your privilege and respect the struggles of the not so privileged people among us.
    The thing is I'm not privileged at all. I might be in the sense that I'm a white, Christian (not religious), heterosexual male, but I'm not 'rich' (which makes all the difference in the world). The gap between the rich and the poor is so big now that just about anyone who doesn't have their own yacht is doomed. In the grand scheme of things I'm probably just as stuffed as you are.

ReputationRep:
    As an upper middle-class, white, cisgender, able, male shitlord I'm at the pinnacle of privilege and deserve to be lynched.

I'm so sorry society, I'm ashamed of my very existence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexion)

"You are the most privileged"

Meh
    haha in your face tededeeee

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dodgypirate)
    As an upper middle-class, white, cisgender, able, male shitlord I'm at the pinnacle of privilege and deserve to be lynched.

I'm so sorry society, I'm ashamed of my very existence.
    Good boy

ReputationRep:
    God save England.

What a load of nonsense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Popcorns)
    Good boy
    Took the "test" and I got 62/100.

What did you get?

ReputationRep:
    81, think the test was a load of s*** though, like yes I've been mocked for my accent because its apparently 'posh' so that makes me less privileged?

ReputationRep:
    How about some questions like...

Do you have to walk miles to get clean water?

Are you fleeing war, genocide or famine?

Are your community imprisoned or killed for their beliefs on a daily basis?

No, this is just a way for our soft populace to feel like "victims" when they are still unspeakably privileged to compared to the rest of the world.

That fact that you can get online and even answer the sh*tty test is a sign you're amoungst the most privileged. Grow up. Your problems are tiny compared to what other people face on a daily basis all around the world.

SS

ReputationRep:
    Agreed with everyone who said it's a ******** quiz least of all because of all the American cultural references.

27 out of 100 wah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supersaps)
    How about some questions like...

Do you have to walk miles to get clean water?

Are you fleeing war, genocide or famine?

Are your community imprisoned or killed for their beliefs on a daily basis?

No, this is just a way for our soft populace to feel like "victims" when they are still unspeakably privileged to compared to the rest of the world.

That fact that you can get online and even answer the sh*tty test is a sign you're amoungst the most privileged. Grow up. Your problems are tiny compared to what other people face on a daily basis.

SS
    Take it you maxed the test out then :rofl:

100/100

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.