So how exactly do A-levels work? Watch

frognation22
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
As a student who goes to an international school and does IB, I have always wondered this. I.e. sometimes I see students post their results and it will show: Maths Unit A: A
Maths Unit B: A
Maths Unit C: B
How can there be three different results for the same subject area?!
Or I see students who have received their results post them and it will say: AABBCC
And it gets me quite confused because I always thought we generally take only three A-levels?

I know it's a rather random question, but it would be nice to have this clarified regardless
kieran12321LFC
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by frognation22)
As a student who goes to an international school and does IB, I have always wondered this. I.e. sometimes I see students post their results and it will show: Maths Unit A: A
Maths Unit B: A
Maths Unit C: B
How can there be three different results for the same subject area?!
Or I see students who have received their results post them and it will say: AABBCC
And it gets me quite confused because I always thought we generally take only three A-levels?

I know it's a rather random question, but it would be nice to have this clarified regardless
I've never seen that particular "Unit", thing with A level Maths but there are different modules which are graded individually
frognation22
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by kieran12321LFC)
I've never seen that particular "Unit", thing with A level Maths but there are different modules which are graded individually
Thanks for the response! If you don't mind me asking, what does it mean when it says A-level Biology Unit 1, Unit 2 etc? Do you revise for all units or do you pick the unit you like most and revise it?
kieran12321LFC
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by frognation22)
Thanks for the response! If you don't mind me asking, what does it mean when it says A-level Biology Unit 1, Unit 2 etc? Do you revise for all units or do you pick the unit you like most and revise it?
I think for the sciences, you've got 4 Units that you revise for. Also in Physics (not sure about Biology), there's part of a unit which is optional i.e. you pick the bit you like. A level Maths is different to the sciences because it has 6 tests and they are generally called "modules", rather than "units"
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Guardian Offices, Kings Cross, London Postgraduate
    Mon, 2 Sep '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (221)
12.46%
Excited (166)
9.36%
Worried (309)
17.43%
Terrified (390)
22%
Meh (186)
10.49%
Confused (39)
2.2%