Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Renting Function Rooms. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    When you rent a function room privatly does it mean that the private drinking law applies?

*Edit* by private drinking law i mean that in private premises people under the age of 18 can drink alchohol.

ReputationRep:
    I should think that it does, providing that drinks are supplied by you. I would check with the person hiring out the room. I really ought to know - I am on the club committe and have attended liecening law conferences.

ReputationRep:
    I dont think so, becuase the premisis has a responsibility to uphold the law whether it is a private function or not. If minors are caught drinking they caould be fined.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't have thought so either. Private drinking law can't apply when you're renting a public place.

ReputationRep:
    Toss!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rayban)
    Toss!
    In fact, even over 18s won't be able to drink unless the venue has a license anyway.

ReputationRep:
    When you rent a function room privatly does it mean that the private drinking law applies?

*Edit* by private drinking law i mean that in private premises people under the age of 18 can drink alchohol.
    if the room is shut to the public, yup. are you planning an 18th?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie4)
    In fact, even over 18s won't be able to drink unless the venue has a license anyway.

Well i was planning on getting a function room at a pub so the liscence thing isnt really a problem. And its for a 16th, Might just tell the pub its a 18th to be safe. Im not expecting people under 16 to get served at the bar just to be able to drink inside the place is alright.

ReputationRep:
    Well i was planning on getting a function room at a pub so the liscence thing isnt really a problem. And its for a 16th, Might just tell the pub its a 18th to be safe. Im not expecting people under 16 to get served at the bar just to be able to drink inside the place is alright.
    i'm not sure... because they are buying drinks from a bar i don't think it's allowed. a pub will almost certainly not allow a 16th. lisencing law says you are not allowed to buy drinks if you are under 18 and you are not allowed to buy them for other people if they are under 18. i'm pretty sure usual licensing law applies, i went to an 18th last night and one of my friends was IDed.

lou xxx

ReputationRep:

hmm i think they'll know if it's a 16th- pubs are usually quite good with cataching young people out, they'll probably turn a blind eye if the majority of people look 18/have ID, but for 16......

how about renting like a scout hall or something? my friend had that for her 18th, and you were allowed to bring your own alcohol. don't know what the licensing rules in such places are, but this was for an 18th.

ReputationRep:
    Lots of people there will be over 18, so it could easily be made for them to think that its someone else's birthday...

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.