Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Alright, I'm coming from spain and have already applied for five unis, my best option is without doubt Coventry, my situation with a math degree is the follwing,I am totally sure I want to go for a maths degree, and would love to finish my degree and be able to go further taking an MSc in probably CS BUT My system here is totally different from the UK and I can do linear geometry, functions with one variable and matrices, systems of equations etc... I know there you have further maths, which includes imaginary numbers and series which are both something I haven't seen yet not to mention mechanics and decision which are really interesting and I wish I had studied in UK but I didn't, next year I'm going there and I have heard of demonstrations and things like that on the internet while doing some research on the degree. I've seen sources from MIT really interesting by the way in case someone wants to have a look at them, and a book called "How to prove it", well I got started with Spivak and it was crazy for me, I know that is the most difficult aspect of a degree in maths for everybody, so the question basically is Will I be prepared for a Mathematics BSc with what I know? any tips on demonstration? is this book enough if I understand it in depth for me to be not so scared when this terrible subject is already in front of me? is it vital to perform great at high school in order to be a good mathematician and if not does it mean a higher level is recquired or viceversa? I just need to get in touch with someone with experience in maths at uni level that helps me out and guides me somehow, here at cov I haven't seen too many people willing to help in that sense, math undergradates are not so easy to find.

Thanks in advance here is the website I've found:

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathematics/
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by antonioOoO)
    Alright, I'm coming from spain and have already applied for five unis, my best option is without doubt Coventry, my situation with a math degree is the following,I am totally sure I want to go for a maths degree, and would love to finish my degree and be able to go further taking an MSc in probably CS BUT My system here is totally different from the UK and I can do linear geometry, functions with one variable and matrices, systems of equations etc... I know there you have further maths, which includes imaginary numbers and series which are both something I haven't seen yet not to mention mechanics and decision which are really interesting and I wish I had studied in UK but I didn't, next year I'm going there and I have heard of demonstrations and things like that on the internet while doing some research on the degree. I've seen sources from MIT really interesting by the way in case someone wants to have a look at them, and a book called "How to prove it", well I got started with Spivak and it was crazy for me, I know that is the most difficult aspect of a degree in maths for everybody, so the question basically is Will I be prepared for a Mathematics BSc with what I know? any tips on demonstration? is this book enough if I understand it in depth for me to be not so scared when this terrible subject is already in front of me? is it vital to perform great at high school in order to be a good mathematician and if not does it mean a higher level is recquired or viceversa? I just need to get in touch with someone with experience in maths at uni level that helps me out and guides me somehow, here at cov I haven't seen too many people willing to help in that sense, math undergradates are not so easy to find.

Thanks in advance here is the website I've found:

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathematics/
    Coventry do not require further maths, so they will go over things like imaginary numbers and matrices.
    You will need to look up some things about series, like arithmetic and geometric series.

Have a look on here: http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-a-levels/mathematics-2008.coursematerials.html#filter Query=category:Pearson-UK:Category%2FExam-materials&filterQuery=category:P earson-UKxam-Series%2FJune-2014

Coventry expect all students to have sat the exams: C1,C2,C3,C4. So have a look at the exam papers for those and see what topics you know how to answer and what you don't. You'll need to work on any you don't.

Uni level maths is slightly different to high school, but you need to be decent at high school maths to understand the uni level stuff.

The website you have found can be useful, but a lot of stuff on there is quite advanced and you will not be expected to know that stuff before you start.

I recommend this book: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bridging-Uni.../dp/1848002890

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rayquaza17)
    Coventry do not require further maths, so they will go over things like imaginary numbers and matrices.
    You will need to look up some things about series, like arithmetic and geometric series.

Have a look on here: http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-a-levels/mathematics-2008.coursematerials.html#filter Query=category:Pearson-UK:Category%2FExam-materials&filterQuery=category:P earson-UKxam-Series%2FJune-2014

Coventry expect all students to have sat the exams: C1,C2,C3,C4. So have a look at the exam papers for those and see what topics you know how to answer and what you don't. You'll need to work on any you don't.

Uni level maths is slightly different to high school, but you need to be decent at high school maths to understand the uni level stuff.

The website you have found can be useful, but a lot of stuff on there is quite advanced and you will not be expected to know that stuff before you start.

I recommend this book: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bridging-Uni.../dp/1848002890
    Man these resources are priceless, my maths exams are exactly like this, is it solid enough?
    I cannot wait to buy that book tbh, what uni r u going to? I'd like to know more people studying maths at uni so far I've only come across journalists 😂😂
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Man these resources are priceless, my maths exams are exactly like this, is it solid enough?
    I cannot wait to buy that book tbh, what uni r u going to? I'd like to know more people studying maths at uni so far I've only come across journalists 😂😂
    If yours are like that, then you'll be fine.

I'm actually in my third year at Newcastle!
    There's lots of us studying maths here on TSR!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rayquaza17)
    If yours are like that, then you'll be fine.

I'm actually in my third year at Newcastle!
    There's lots of us studying maths here on TSR!
    Thanks for being so kind! I forgot the link with the exams btw 😂
    http://www.musat.net/web_2bach/Selec...tividadsol.pdf
    I checked your profile and your results are absolutely amazing! I hope everything will go well at uni. Whats ur key to getting those results?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Thanks for being so kind! I forgot the link with the exams btw 😂
    http://www.musat.net/web_2bach/Selec...tividadsol.pdf
    I checked your profile and your results are absolutely amazing! I hope everything will go well at uni. Whats ur key to getting those results?
    I recognise the maths, but sorry I don't understand the questions because I can only read English.

Thank you. I hope all goes well for you too.

The key is hard work and lots of practise!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.