Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    When I first joined college I opted for a L3 BTEC instead of A-Levels, I completed the first year but eventually left with 'half' the qualification.

I'm wanting to complete my A-Levels so I can progress onto Uni, that being said, most colleges round here, (or maybe all?) seem to only allow school leavers, 16-18, to complete their A-Levels.

I'll be turning 20 in June, what are my options? I know I could complete another L3 BTEC with distinctions and most likely get into most Uni's, but I'm just not feeling another BTEC..

I'm currently working so do have money but how can I go about completing my A-Levels to get the UCAS points I require?

Thanks
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Frolicly)
    When I first joined college I opted for a L3 BTEC instead of A-Levels, I completed the first year but eventually left with 'half' the qualification.

I'm wanting to complete my A-Levels so I can progress onto Uni, that being said, most colleges round here, (or maybe all?) seem to only allow school leavers, 16-18, to complete their A-Levels.

I'll be turning 20 in June, what are my options? I know I could complete another L3 BTEC with distinctions and most likely get into most Uni's, but I'm just not feeling another BTEC..

I'm currently working so do have money but how can I go about completing my A-Levels to get the UCAS points I require?

Thanks
    You can self teach and then pay exam centres to sit the exams but if your aim is university why not do an access course for a year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    You can self teach and then pay exam centres to sit the exams but if your aim is university why not do an access course for a year?
    Going to be honest with you here.. I've never heard of these until now. Luckily there's quite a few colleges around me that offer these after a quick search.

After looking them up, I'm assuming they're basically a course that gets you 'ready' for Uni aswell as, from what I've read, a qualification equivalent to a full Level 3 qualification / A-Level?

I know you may not know the specifics as obviously places are different but I guess it's worth an ask. I've currently got a certificate for the first year I completed on my programming BTEC, an access course I'm looking at is asking for the usual GCSE's but a L2 qualification in the subject area. Do you have any idea the equivalent to 'half' a L3 extended diploma? I'll most likely ring them up later on today anyway. Thanks for your reply nonetheless!
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Going to be honest with you here.. I've never heard of these until now. Luckily there's quite a few colleges around me that offer these after a quick search.

After looking them up, I'm assuming they're basically a course that gets you 'ready' for Uni aswell as, from what I've read, a qualification equivalent to a full Level 3 qualification / A-Level?

I know you may not know the specifics as obviously places are different but I guess it's worth an ask. I've currently got a certificate for the first year I completed on my programming BTEC, an access course I'm looking at is asking for the usual GCSE's but a L2 qualification in the subject area. Do you have any idea the equivalent to 'half' a L3 extended diploma? I'll most likely ring them up later on today anyway. Thanks for your reply nonetheless!
    Yes they are I d only be guessing but I think either a 90 credit diploma or a national certificate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Yes they are I d only be guessing but I think either a 90 credit diploma or a national certificate
    Thank you for your help!

ReputationRep:

Thanks
    Buy a textbook, read it, book the exams.

ReputationRep:
    You could also consider an Access course which is designed to get you to Uni. This is a year course and gives you a L3 qualification. I'm going to Oxford Brookes in September after doing one at Banbury College.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.