Turn on thread page Beta

Financial Support Between BSc and PGCE?! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I wondered if someone could help me before I sit on the phone on hold to student finance for the foreseeable future...

Upon starting my undergraduate degree I was pursuing an MComp Computer Science degree which is a regular BSc degree with an extra year for a *masters* qualification on top, but within the undergraduate funding.

This course was 4 years long, however since then I have decided to graduate regularly with a BSc Hons as I want to (and have a firm place) pursue a PGCE in Computing at a different university.

This meant me changing my MComp degree to a BSc degree with my current university, which as I have just discovered has reduced my upcoming student finance payment (by £500!) In what I can only assume is because I am not *classed* as a student with my current university over the summer.

Obviously being a student, I'm on a tight budget which I have stuck to so I don't have any financial implications... until now.

In this scenario what happens?

I have now applied for my finance for my PGCE, but what happens during these summers months? Am I officially not classed as a student so I can't receive funding for this time? (I am still paying rent over the summer, etc)

Is there no 'pass over' in this time between degrees with student finance as technically... I am and will remain full time student.

If while mid-June until September I am not classed as a student is there any financial support I could get?

Even before this I planned on getting a full-time job over the summer to earn some extra cash... however I am concerned with me being £500 backlogged with no absolute guarantee I would have a job waiting that this could be a problem.

I have looked into the viability of claiming job-seekers while I find a job within the summer months, so I at least am getting the funding I have budgeted for... can anyone confirm if this is a valid option? (If I am not classed as a student within the transition between degrees and I am actively looking for full time work, this seems valid.)

Any information you could give me would be very much appreciated... I have only just found this out in the off chance of logging into my student finance account, so I am flapping quite a bit right now.

Thanks in advance
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by AsMaCu)
    Hey, I wondered if someone could help me before I sit on the phone on hold to student finance for the foreseeable future...

Upon starting my undergraduate degree I was pursuing an MComp Computer Science degree which is a regular BSc degree with an extra year for a *masters* qualification on top, but within the undergraduate funding.

This course was 4 years long, however since then I have decided to graduate regularly with a BSc Hons as I want to (and have a firm place) pursue a PGCE in Computing at a different university.

This meant me changing my MComp degree to a BSc degree with my current university, which as I have just discovered has reduced my upcoming student finance payment (by £500!) In what I can only assume is because I am not *classed* as a student with my current university over the summer.

Obviously being a student, I'm on a tight budget which I have stuck to so I don't have any financial implications... until now.

I have now applied for my finance for my PGCE, but what happens during these summers months? Am I officially not classed as a student so I can't receive funding for this time? (I am still paying rent over the summer, etc)

Is there no 'pass over' in this time between degrees with student finance as technically... I am and will remain full time student.

If while mid-June until September I am not classed as a student is there any financial support I could get?

Even before this I planned on getting a full-time job over the summer to earn some extra cash... however I am concerned with me being £500 backlogged with no absolute guarantee I would have a job waiting that this could be a problem.

I have looked into the viability of claiming job-seekers while I find a job within the summer months, so I at least am getting the funding I have budgeted for... can anyone confirm if this is a valid option? (If I am not classed as a student within the transition between degrees and I am actively looking for full time work, this seems valid.)

Any information you could give me would be very much appreciated... I have only just found this out in the off chance of logging into my student finance account, so I am flapping quite a bit right now.

Thanks in advance
    You definetly won't get any student finance over the summer. JSA is a possibility I think. Bare in mind you ll lose your exemption with council tax too so you ll need to pay that over the summer.

ReputationRep:

Thanks in advance
    What about a summer job?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sportycb)
    What about a summer job?
    Absolutely a summer job is what I want to do. But as mentioned above, there is no absolute guarantee of getting a summer job, this in combination with being £500 worse off isn't where I want to be. I'm trying to minimise the damage at this stage to find out all possible options if the best case scenario (going straight into a summer job) fails.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Presumably when you graduate you cease to be a student and therefore you will have the fallback of the benefist system.
    JSA for you and another one for Housing benefit and council tax benefit. You will need to look up which council deals with it. Just type in housing benefit and he name of the city you are in. Get your claims in as soon as you cease being a student i.e when term finishes if thats when finance ends. No backdating.

Obviously yoi look for a job at the same time.
    HB can take ages, so you may have to have a chat with your bak about overdrafts.

https://www.gov.uk/jobseekers-allowance/overview

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely a summer job is what I want to do. But as mentioned above, there is no absolute guarantee of getting a summer job, this in combination with being £500 worse off isn't where I want to be. I'm trying to minimise the damage at this stage to find out all possible options if the best case scenario (going straight into a summer job) fails.
    Ah I suppose that is true for most people. I am in a profession that summer is the one time of year you can be guarenteed work. I teach English abroad and the UK summer schools are always in the hunt for teachers (as well as other roles).
    My friend was in a similar position, in that she wanted to get some summer work before going into an Educational degree (she changed degrees after a year - long story). She dealt with the pastoral and admin care as well as participating in activities and observing lessons as she was considering TEFL herself.

As it is teaching related with secondary aged kids if you want details please ask. Obviously I can't guarentee anything and the hours are long but the pay is good.

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.