Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I applied for a competition funded PhD ages ago. I first spoke to the supervisor who was really keen and said that I was the ideal candidate for it and to put in the formal application form. The project was going through the DTC funding stream but he said that the department will still have the chance to fund it if I'm not successful with that.

So I applied and didn't hear any news for a couple of months ( I applied in november and the closing date wasn't until january) and then at the end of january he emailed saying i will be invited for interview and that said they are hoping to divide the projects (because there were a few) between the top two candidates with me being the second, and as for funding i should apply through the DTC which he helped with my application for.

I then had my interview but the DTC application was not mentioned, they just said that they pick the best candidates who get funding and then the ones who missed out on ESRC funding if they still think they are good the department will fund them.

This was a few weeks ago now and i haven't heard anything, last week the department emailed to say i will hear early this week about their decision but I still haven't, I'm totally confused about both the funding and if I have actually got a place! I hate being in this limbo.

any insight/advice would be appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Well good luck to you! It sounds like the department is interested in you - and they may fund you! This is excellent! PhD funding is not easy to come by and you might be almost there with it.

I realise the wait is stressful but I don't think it's time to freak out and panic. They said this week so if you don't hear I think you should ring on Friday. Academics can be slow (something you may have to get used to) but I do hope for you that your supervisors are not that slow!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by isitisisitis)
    Well good luck to you! It sounds like the department is interested in you - and they may fund you! This is excellent! PhD funding is not easy to come by and you might be almost there with it.

I realise the wait is stressful but I don't think it's time to freak out and panic. They said this week so if you don't hear I think you should ring on Friday. Academics can be slow (something you may have to get used to) but I do hope for you that your supervisors are not that slow!

Thanks for the reply!

I know fingers crossed, I really love this project so would be made up if I could get the funding which is why I'm getting stressed waiting to hear!

Should I ring the department or the supervisor directly? I've had contact with both so not really sure who it would be emailing me with the decision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by megan_15.12)
    Thanks for the reply!

I know fingers crossed, I really love this project so would be made up if I could get the funding which is why I'm getting stressed waiting to hear!

Should I ring the department or the supervisor directly? I've had contact with both so not really sure who it would be emailing me with the decision.
    Yes, really good luck to you! What's your topic?

I would say ring the supervisor (they are your personal contact).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.