Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Career women are less feminine? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I was reading an interesting study(I will try to find it) that says on average men are put off and even intimidated by strongly driven career women, and I was wondering if the young men of tsr do share this veiw

ReputationRep:
    Other studies suggest career women tend to be unhappier too...

"University of Pennsylvania researchers Betsey Stevenson and Justin Wolfers studied the happiness of women in the United States from the 1970s through present day and found an astounding conclusion: the more society accommodated women, gave them jobs, and scholarships, and supported them living single, and encouraged them to pursue their own private dreams and goals, to dress and act as masculine as they wanted to, and to shun any ideas of universal beauty or happiness in pursuit of their own private desires, the LESS happy they were."

From the paper’s abstract:

"By many objective measures the lives of women in the US have improved over the past 35 years, yet we show that measures of subjective well-being indicate that women’s happiness has declined both absolutely and relative to men. The paradox of women’s declining relative well-being is found across various datasets, measures of subjective well-being, and is pervasive across demographic groups and industrialized countries. Relative declines in female happiness have eroded a gender gap in happiness in which women in the 1970s typically reported higher subjective well-being than did men. These declines have continued and a new gender gap is emerging–one with higher subjective well-being for men."

ReputationRep:
    Opposite for me:laugh:, if I meet a strongly driven career women, it makes me admire them more (and being hopefully strongly driven myself by then) I dont think that makes them less feminine but is an attractive trait

However if they earn significantly more than I do....
    Spoiler:
    Show
    then Id be proud of them

ReputationRep:
    And being perceived as feminine by men is, after all, the ultimate goal of all women... *Sigh*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    And being perceived as feminine by men is, after all, the ultimate goal of all women... *Sigh*
    Being perceived as attractive by men is still largely the ultimate goal for women (and ideally finding one who is handsome, intelligent, funny and well-off to take care of them). if you believe otherwise, then you're delusional.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Whether they are put off by a career driven women or not, that doesnt mean career womenare actually less feminine.

Why would you care just becayse a woman has decided to pursue a career? I doubt they care what men think and do quite well by themselves.

They choose to raise a family= fine.
    They choose to have a career= fine
    They choose to do both= fine

Men do surveys saying one is more feminien than the other= silly

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.