Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How often do you have a cheat day?

And how much do you actually eat on a cheat day? Do you go all out or still control how much you put away?

ReputationRep:
    foot long subway, 16 inch thick pizza, garlic bread, cheesecake.

ReputationRep:
    IIFYM means it's cheat day every day

ReputationRep:
    A cheat meal is always a better option than a cheat day IMO. One indulgent meal a week isn't going to hurt your progress, whereas with one day eating what you like you could quite easily undo an entire weekly deficit. I can lose 3lbs a week eating a large takeaway meal on a Saturday night, but any leftovers from that one meal go in the bin or to someone else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    A cheat meal is always a better option than a cheat day IMO. One indulgent meal a week isn't going to hurt your progress, whereas with one day eating what you like you could quite easily undo an entire weekly deficit. I can lose 3lbs a week eating a large takeaway meal on a Saturday night, but any leftovers from that one meal go in the bin or to someone else.
    Thank you! That's exactly what I've been doing once a week. But I thought it was too much because some people I know cheat only monthly. Yeah I agree, it's better to have a cheat meal that a cheat day because I've seen how easily I gain weight again after a whole day of eating what I want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aarora)
    Thank you! That's exactly what I've been doing once a week. But I thought it was too much because some people I know cheat only monthly. Yeah I agree, it's better to have a cheat meal that a cheat day because I've seen how easily I gain weight again after a whole day of eating what I want.
    Bare in mind that you might gain a little temporary weight even just from one cheat meal - the body will take all that food and replenish glycogen and retain water, but it won't be fat weight and it'll drop off again once you carry on dieting. But that's the idea of the cheat meal - just to give your system a bit of a kick up the bum, and in short and simple terms trick it into thinking you've finished dieting and normalise everything. If I know that I'm going out on a Saturday night while I'm cutting I tend to have my cheat meal during the day before I go out if I'm not planning on eating out - then I retain a bunch of glycogen and intra-muscular water and I look more muscular while not looking any fatter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CheckMeowt)
    IIFYM means it's cheat day every day
    Not quite - a lot of people cut on IIFYM but a cheat meal (as in, a meal where you pretty much eat what you like and temporarily mostly disregard caloric intake) is still advisable as it replenishes glycogen stores and gives your metabolism a kick up the ass.

ReputationRep:
    I also have a cheat meal rather than a day. I have mine on Sunday nights and it usually involves pizza and Ben & Jerry's! I also have a vanilla latte on Friday mornings to congratulate myself for getting through the week.

I eat about 2200 calories a day though (of good food) as I have an overactive thyroid (I'm female) and I hover close to being underweight. Trying to bulk.

ReputationRep:
    Everyday is my cheat day.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.