Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, which halls would be best placed for a first year medical student from outside Scotland? Thank you
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by ky23)
    I haven't received emails about the delays (someone mentioned above that they received emails), so I'm relying on this thread to get updates on the accommodation offers? Any idea when they'll be sent out?

Hi ky23 ,

Yes, the offers will start going out this week so keep checking your emails and you’ll hopefully receive something in the next few days. If you have any concerns about your application please drop us an email or give us a call and we can check your account.

Best wishes,

Alexander
    Accommodation Services

ReputationRep:
    Is there any way to find out more about the offer? Such as getting some pictures of the room / common areas? Can I find out who my room mates would be? I got an offer for Murano which was my last preference and the more I read about it, the less I like it. I'm worried about not being able to find private accommodation in September, but the only good thing I've read about Murano is the social life and that sounds like an additional downside to me - more noise!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psuspark)
    Is there any way to find out more about the offer? Such as getting some pictures of the room / common areas? Can I find out who my room mates would be? I got an offer for Murano which was my last preference and the more I read about it, the less I like it. I'm worried about not being able to find private accommodation in September, but the only good thing I've read about Murano is the social life and that sounds like an additional downside to me - more noise!
    Sorry about that :/ It's weird that you're one of the first to receive an offer and you get your last choice. Maybe nobody wanted Murano but they had to spread us evenly? I got my first - Cairncross.
    But why do you think you won't find anything private?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peet79)
    Sorry about that :/ It's weird that you're one of the first to receive an offer and you get your last choice. Maybe nobody wanted Murano but they had to spread us evenly? I got my first - Cairncross.
    But why do you think you won't find anything private?
    I won't be in Glasgow until September 3rd. I originally planned to come a month early to give myself time to find somewhere to stay, and settle in but that didn't work out. Everyone will be looking for places in September, so I'm worried about availability - and also where to stay short term while I hunt - I bet all the hostels and reasonably priced AirBnBs will be booked full. If I stay in halls, that's a major headache out of the way, but I hate noise and drunk people and staying in a party house is a nightmare for me. If I knew my room mates will keep the kitchen clean and won't make too much noise, I'd go for it.

I seem to be one of the first ones to get it, but I put in my application very late since I wasn't planning on staying on halls at all, so that's why everywhere else is full I guess. I believe Murano is the biggest one, so they still have space.

ReputationRep:
    I won't be in Glasgow until September 3rd. I originally planned to come a month early to give myself time to find somewhere to stay, and settle in but that didn't work out. Everyone will be looking for places in September, so I'm worried about availability - and also where to stay short term while I hunt - I bet all the hostels and reasonably priced AirBnBs will be booked full. If I stay in halls, that's a major headache out of the way, but I hate noise and drunk people and staying in a party house is a nightmare for me. If I knew my room mates will keep the kitchen clean and won't make too much noise, I'd go for it.

I seem to be one of the first ones to get it, but I put in my application very late since I wasn't planning on staying on halls at all, so that's why everywhere else is full I guess. I believe Murano is the biggest one, so they still have space.
    You can try Campusboard.co.uk, I found a room in a student flatshare for next year and I used Skype for the viewing and to discuss the contract. There were some places available in flats with other students, maybe you'll find something that suits you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dana1201)
    You can try Campusboard.co.uk, I found a room in a student flatshare for next year and I used Skype for the viewing and to discuss the contract. There were some places available in flats with other students, maybe you'll find something that suits you.
    Thanks! I was just on that website earlier. I've decided to risk it and take my chances finding something private. I just don't feel comfortable signing a 9 month lease for a room I haven't seen even in pictures with no idea who my room mates would be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by becca.stewart41)
    Hi, which halls would be best placed for a first year medical student from outside Scotland? Thank you
    Hi, I'm a medical student outside of Scotland and I went for murano purely to meet lots of people as it's the most sociable. Hope this helps.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by becca.stewart41)

Hi becca.stewart41,

It would really just depend on which residences you like the look of. Most of our halls are within 20 minutes’ walk of the main University campus and are also close to good transport links should you be studying at any of the hospitals so getting around shouldn’t be an issue. Pricing is also the same across the halls so you would just need to consider what each residence has on offer and if it suits your requirements. For more information on all of our residences please see the links below and hopefully this will help in your decision.

https://youtu.be/OVfaGioc_jk

Self-catered residences

Catered residence

If you would like to see more images of the residences, including 3D images of bedrooms, you can also check out our Flickr page.

Hope this helps but if you have any other questions please let us know.

Best wishes,

Alexander
    Accommodation Services
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep

Hi psuspark.

Absolutely, if you’d like to find out more information about Murano Street please visit our website -Murano Street Student Village. There are also images of the Murano Street and 3D images of the bedrooms available on our Flickr page.

Hope this helps.

Alexander
    Accommodation Services

ReputationRep:
    Hi, when are we likely to know which accommodation we got allocated to? I have heard it's by the 1st of September, but I'm concerned that if I don't get the choice I wanted to, I won't be able to find another accommodation (maybe not university-affiliated, if needed) in such a short notice before the start of the semester.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gnoria)
    Hi, when are we likely to know which accommodation we got allocated to? I have heard it's by the 1st of September, but I'm concerned that if I don't get the choice I wanted to, I won't be able to find another accommodation (maybe not university-affiliated, if needed) in such a short notice before the start of the semester.
    The offers are coming out already for unconditional offer holders so if you still haven't met your conditions, I believe you'll hear back as soon as you send in your results. But I think they try to save some spaces in every house for the people that get their exam results late, so there should be a good chance of you getting a place you like

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peet79)
    The offers are coming out already for unconditional offer holders so if you still haven't met your conditions, I believe you'll hear back as soon as you send in your results. But I think they try to save some spaces in every house for the people that get their exam results late, so there should be a good chance of you getting a place you like
    Thanks for the response I have received my results and I met the conditions so I got accepted to the university (got the acceptance letter etc.). My issue is that on the accommodation website it says that the university can let us know which accommodation we got into up until the 1st of September. But I'm worried that if I get something I don't like and would rather consider non-university-affiliated accommodation, I won't be able to find one in such short notice, as freshers already starts on the 11th of September. Any suggestions?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the response I have received my results and I met the conditions so I got accepted to the university (got the acceptance letter etc.). My issue is that on the accommodation website it says that the university can let us know which accommodation we got into up until the 1st of September. But I'm worried that if I get something I don't like and would rather consider non-university-affiliated accommodation, I won't be able to find one in such short notice, as freshers already starts on the 11th of September. Any suggestions?
    I think you should soon receive an offer, I got mine the day they started sending them out, and so did many other people. They probably try to get them out as soon as possible. And even if you aren't satisfied, you should be able to find a decent place to live in two months if you try Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I have already received an offer for Murano which I accepted but was wondering when we find out exact details about the flat we will be staying in as well as who we will be sharing the flat with?Thanks
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep

Hi gnoria ,

We are currently working through the allocations so you should receive your offer very shortly. If you think there may be any issues with your application please send us an email with your details and we can check it for you.

Best wishes,

Alexander
    Accommodation Services
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by mnolan99)
    I have already received an offer for Murano which I accepted but was wondering when we find out exact details about the flat we will be staying in as well as who we will be sharing the flat with?Thanks

Hi @mnolan99,

All room and address details are finalised in early September and will be released upon check in.

Best wishes,

Alexander
    Accommodation Services

ReputationRep:
    Is it possible to give a date unconditional offer holders will receive an accommodation offer at the latest? Applied for accommodation in March, would really like to receive an update any time soon! Thank you in advance!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi Mettee,

Yes, you should hopefully receive something at the end of this week or early next week. If you don’t hear anything back by then please drop us an email and we can check your account.

Best wishes,

Alexander
    Accommodation Services

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I applied for accommodation on the 2nd April as a conditional offer holder for medicine. However, I also have an unconditional offer for another course at the University of Glasgow, which I have put as my insurance choice on UCAS, so I will definitely be starting the university in September. As my firm choice is conditional, I wasn't expecting to hear anything from accommodation services until around mid-August, after the SQA results day. I just wanted to check that if I weren't to meet my conditions for medicine, I would have to submit a separate accommodation application as someone who is enrolling in an insurance course. I realise that you allocate on a first-come-first-served basis, so would such a situation mean that I'm unlikely to be given one of my preferred choices, even though I originally submitted an application in April?

I live around 30 miles from Glasgow's West End, however due to limited public transport options in my town, I would need to allow at least 2 hours commuting time each way if I were to stay at home. Would this guarantee an offer of accommodation, or would you advise that I start looking at private accommodation , as I would really like to move to Glasgow?

Many thanks!

University open days

1. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
  2. University of Glasgow
    All Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.