Turn on thread page Beta
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by owl26shml)
    Hi there,

I applied for accommodation on the 2nd April as a conditional offer holder for medicine. However, I also have an unconditional offer for another course at the University of Glasgow, which I have put as my insurance choice on UCAS, so I will definitely be starting the university in September. As my firm choice is conditional, I wasn't expecting to hear anything from accommodation services until around mid-August, after the SQA results day. I just wanted to check that if I weren't to meet my conditions for medicine, I would have to submit a separate accommodation application as someone who is enrolling in an insurance course. I realise that you allocate on a first-come-first-served basis, so would such a situation mean that I'm unlikely to be given one of my preferred choices, even though I originally submitted an application in April?

I live around 30 miles from Glasgow's West End, however due to limited public transport options in my town, I would need to allow at least 2 hours commuting time each way if I were to stay at home. Would this guarantee an offer of accommodation, or would you advise that I start looking at private accommodation , as I would really like to move to Glasgow?

Many thanks!

Hi owl26shml ,

If you didn’t meet the conditions of your offer of study for medicine then your accommodation application would automatically move to your insurance choice and you wouldn’t have to submit another one. As you applied fairly early on in the process you would still have a good chance of getting one of your preferred choices.

Due to large intakes in previous years we have had to introduce a travel restriction for applicants who stay within reasonable commuting distance to the University. This year the cut off was considered to be a journey time in the region of 1 hour 20 minutes so if it is going to take you 2 hours to get here then you should be ok. If you think that there are going to be any issues however please contact us and we can investigate your case further.

Best wishes,

Alexander
    Accommodation Services

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I am an EU student and I am planning to arrive in Glasgow on September 6th or 7th in order to open a bank account, see if I can find a car insurance, and other small things that won't get in the way afterwards. However I've read that in order to open a bank account, I need a proof of address, but when will I get it ? Is it sent by mail in August, or is it given when we arrive in the residence on the 8th (I'm in Murano) ? If so, is there a way to fetch it a day earlier (7th), even though I'm settling on the 8th, since I would really like to open the account while my father is still with me ?

Thanks a lot !
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    We have a forum for international students now - please join us and find out who is coming from your country to UofG in 2017!

ReputationRep:
    My partner will be attending the University of Glasgow as a postgraduate student next September. We will be staying in one of the family apartments the University provides. Since I am not a student at the University of Glasgow, will I still have free access to gym facilities, please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psuspark)
    Is there any way to find out more about the offer? Such as getting some pictures of the room / common areas? Can I find out who my room mates would be? I got an offer for Murano which was my last preference and the more I read about it, the less I like it. I'm worried about not being able to find private accommodation in September, but the only good thing I've read about Murano is the social life and that sounds like an additional downside to me - more noise!
    Hi Psuspark,
    I had booked a room in private accommodation but I'm no longer coming to Glasgow and looking for someone to take it over. Let me know if you would be interested. It's called unite students - Kelvin court
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Bellamione)
    Hello,

I am an EU student and I am planning to arrive in Glasgow on September 6th or 7th in order to open a bank account, see if I can find a car insurance, and other small things that won't get in the way afterwards. However I've read that in order to open a bank account, I need a proof of address, but when will I get it ? Is it sent by mail in August, or is it given when we arrive in the residence on the 8th (I'm in Murano) ? If so, is there a way to fetch it a day earlier (7th), even though I'm settling on the 8th, since I would really like to open the account while my father is still with me ?

Thanks a lot !

Hi Bellamione,

Unfortunately we can’t issue proof of address letters until you have checked in to your accommodation. You will be able to request one on the 8th either online through your accommodation account or by contacting us at the Accommodation Office.

Best wishes,

Alexander
    Accommodation Services
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by eemia94)
    My partner will be attending the University of Glasgow as a postgraduate student next September. We will be staying in one of the family apartments the University provides. Since I am not a student at the University of Glasgow, will I still have free access to gym facilities, please?

Hi eemia94,

Unfortunately, only the accommodation contract holder has free access to the gym facilities. You will be still be able to use the gym facilities but you would need to apply for your own membership. For more information on this please visit the GU Sport website.

Best wishes,

Alexander
    Accommodation Services

ReputationRep:
    Hi, when will you start sending offers to those who became unconditional today?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Electrify)
    Hi, when will you start sending offers to those who became unconditional today?

Hi Electrify,

We’re processing the allocations as we speak so we will hopefully have the offers sent out on Monday or Tuesday of next week

Best wishes,

Alexander
    Accommodation Services

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I applied for accommodation in early March when my offer was conditional, and I've just been accepted today. When should I receive an offer, I'm a bit worried about sorting my travel arrangements with such short notice. And what are the chances of me getting my first choice? Thanks.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by h_annah22)
    Hi, I applied for accommodation in early March when my offer was conditional, and I've just been accepted today. When should I receive an offer, I'm a bit worried about sorting my travel arrangements with such short notice. And what are the chances of me getting my first choice? Thanks.

Hi @h_annah22,

Don’t worry, the results are coming through to us today and tomorrow so we should have the bulk of the offers out by Monday/Tuesday next week.

Unfortunately we wouldn’t be able to estimate your chances of getting your first choice as it would depend on availability and when you applied etc. Keep checking your emails though and we’ll have your offer with you early next week

Best wishes,

Alexander
    Accommodation Services

ReputationRep:
    Hello,I read somewhere on your website that bus trips to Ikea were organised between the 8th and the 11th or 10th as a way for new students to buy their linen, crockery etc... ie all basics needed to live within the halls of residence. Is that true? If so, could you provide memore information on this subject?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by louisack)
    Hello,I read somewhere on your website that bus trips to Ikea were organised between the 8th and the 11th or 10th as a way for new students to buy their linen, crockery etc... ie all basics needed to live within the halls of residence. Is that true? If so, could you provide memore information on this subject?
    Hi louisack,

Yes, we will be putting on bus trips from the halls to IKEA this arrivals weekend. We are just finalising the details at the moment but if you keep an eye on our Facebook and Twitter pages we will be announcing the full details very shortly.

Best wishes,

Alexander
    Accommodation Services

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I have submitted by application by the 22nd of August, just wondering when I will receive my accommodation offer? Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Hello
    I will be staying at Cairncross House and I have an issue with shipping of my personal belongings. As I am an international student, I have no choice but to use delivery services to bring my things to uni. As far as I know there is no storage facilities at Cairncross House, so I cannot send it before my arrival. However, I was wandering if my package could be delivered on the day of my arrival, just a few hours in advance. Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by siege98)
    Hello
    I will be staying at Cairncross House and I have an issue with shipping of my personal belongings. As I am an international student, I have no choice but to use delivery services to bring my things to uni. As far as I know there is no storage facilities at Cairncross House, so I cannot send it before my arrival. However, I was wandering if my package could be delivered on the day of my arrival, just a few hours in advance. Thank you.
    Hi there, this thread is for general accommodation questions and since your question is specific to the Cairncross house it's maybe better to email them directly at [email protected]

Hope this helps as you'll want to get an answer asap
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Free Bus Trips to IKEA

Looking to buy basic home essentials and some other less essential stuff to brighten up your room?

Then look no further!

We have organised free bus trips to IKEA on the following dates:

Sunday 3rd September

Leaving from:

Saturday 9th September

Leaving from:

A member of the Living Support Team will be there to meet you.

Sunday 10th September

Leaving from:

A member of the Living Support Team will be there to meet you.

For students joining the tour from Cairncross House, a member of the Living Support Team will meet you at the Common Room at 10.20 am. They will then walk you to Kelvinhaugh Gate which is a short walk away.

For students joining the tour from Maclay Residences, a member of the Living Support Team will meet you at Maclay's Central Services building at 10.15 am. They will then walk you to Kelvinhaugh Gate which is a short walk away. Bus will stop at Maclay Residences on the way back from IKEA.

Buses will leave from IKEA at 4pm.

Apart from IKEA there are plenty of leisure opportunities available at intu Braehead, it'll be a fun day with your new flatmates!

Don't worry if you aren't able to make any of these dates though. The Students Representative Council will also be running trips to IKEA on Friday 15th September, leaving from the Memorial Gate at 10am and 11.30am.

Book your place

Sunday 3rd September

Saturday 9th September

Sunday 10th September

*Trip is only available for students staying in University of Glasgow accommodation.

Happy Shopping!

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

How much storage space is there in cairncross house bedrooms? I've seen photos, but wondered if there was room to bring boxes and whether there was room under the bed for storage?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm a first year RUK undergraduate starting in a couple of weeks - I've been put into Maclay residences (postgraduate), but been told that there's a whole block of undergraduates there. Of course not quite what I had in mind but I understand why, being a late applicant. I was really hoping to have that 'student experience' this year, and I'm just a little worried that I'll be missing out, having read a few things saying e.g postgraduates report parties, it's too far from other first years, etc.

Can anyone provide some reassurance about life in Maclay as a first year? Is it actually true that maclay people can go to kelvinhaugh and cairncross and chill over there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PatrickStar2021)
    Hi,

I'm a first year RUK undergraduate starting in a couple of weeks - I've been put into Maclay residences (postgraduate), but been told that there's a whole block of undergraduates there. Of course not quite what I had in mind but I understand why, being a late applicant. I was really hoping to have that 'student experience' this year, and I'm just a little worried that I'll be missing out, having read a few things saying e.g postgraduates report parties, it's too far from other first years, etc.

Can anyone provide some reassurance about life in Maclay as a first year? Is it actually true that maclay people can go to kelvinhaugh and cairncross and chill over there?
    I lived in Maclay in my first year! The two blocks with Sandyford Street addresses were undergrad for us and it was actually really good. Obviously there's a smaller student population there, but Cairncross is close that we made friends there and also you get really really close with the people in your block. I'd recommend you do join societies and clubs to make friends outside of halls, but I'd recommend that to everyone as I didn't do that in first year and it made second year hard. Postgrads rarely reported us, it was more if you had parties in the kitchen with the window open that you'd get noise complaints. Overall it was a really good hall and I think it was a pretty good student experience-I'm still really close with a lot of the people I lived with in first year and I still live with one of them!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
  2. University of Glasgow
    All Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.