Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

I put in my application for accommodation 6 days ago and am currently awaiting my offer. However due to some weird, unforeseen circumstances I had previously made and withdrawn two other applications prior to receiving an offer. I was wondering, will that affect my chances of getting offered a place in accommodation or not?

Also I was wondering if I am guaranteed one of the 6 places I ranked for accommodation on my application or if it is possible I will receive a place in an an accommodation that I didn't rank?

Thanks for your answer in advance!
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eilidhrose)
    Hi,

I've put Glasgow as my firm choice but only have a conditional offer and live in Glasgow already. I've applied for accommodation but is it likely I will get accommodation at all? I'd be happy with basically all six of my choices and just want accommodation in general but don't know if I'll get it due to my conditional offer and proximity to the campus.

Hi eilidhrose

Congratulations on an excellent choice:yy: Yes, as long as you have submitted an application for accommodation before the 22nd of August guarantee deadline and meet the conditions of your course of study we will be able to offer you a place in University Halls. It would only be in exceptional circumstances that we would have to delay applications from students who live within the Greater Glasgow area and this would usually only be for the first couple of weeks of session. If you have applied for accommodation already though you should be absolutely fine.

All the best with your exam results

Alexander
    Accommodation Services

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by getaclucy)
    Hello!

I put in my application for accommodation 6 days ago and am currently awaiting my offer. However due to some weird, unforeseen circumstances I had previously made and withdrawn two other applications prior to receiving an offer. I was wondering, will that affect my chances of getting offered a place in accommodation or not?

Also I was wondering if I am guaranteed one of the 6 places I ranked for accommodation on my application or if it is possible I will receive a place in an an accommodation that I didn't rank?

Thanks for your answer in advance!

Hi getaclucy

No, that shouldn’t have any bearing on your accommodation application. As long as you have submitted an application for session 2016/2017 then we will be able to allocate you. If you are in any doubt about the status of your application please email us at [email protected] and we can make sure that everything is has gone through ok.

As far as your chosen residences go, whilst we will do our very best to get as high up your list of preferences as we can, it is sometimes not possible to offer every student one of their preferred choices. In the event that this happened though we would offer you a suitable alternative.

Best wishes,

Alexander
    Accommodation Services

ReputationRep:
    Hi, sorry to bother again.

I just received an offer from Kelvinhaugh Gate and I'm reading through the contract and it says (I quote):
    • "The Student shall make payment of the balance of the Fees (after deduction of the paid prepayment) by Direct Debit in equal monthly instalments. Full details are available athttp://www.gla.ac.uk/undergraduate/f...nt/#d.en.27797" Am I not able to split the payment in two then?

Then, I went to check that link they provided me and it says the direct debit card needs to be from a UK bank and I assume it refers to the bank transfer as well, but...since I'm an Erasmus student currently living in Spain that's impossible for me. I have to pay from a bank from Spain, I just don't have any other choice. Besides, I have to make the prepayment with my debit card from my bank here as well in order to accept the offer so I don't know what to do. Do they not let me pay because my bank account and debit card are in Spain?

Sorry for bothering again!

ReputationRep:
    Hi asun.dunham,

We recommend students paying by direct debit if possible.This is the option chosen by most students as it allows you to split the payment in various instalments. To set up a direct debit you need to have a UK Bank Account. Most students open a free bank account once they are in Glasgow, check out How To. Direct Debit can be set up at the beginning of the course.

If you do not have a UK Bank Account, it is possible to pay by card or bank transfer from a non UK account. If you chose to pay this way you will not be able to split your payment in multiple instalments,eg. if you wish to pay in 2 instalments or more you may need to contact the Student Credit Control Team.

You can make the prepayment online with a non UK bank card but please note that some foreign debit cards are not accepted, if this happens please try using a credit card. This should work

Once the prepayment has been made you do not need to worry about the payment of the rest of the fees. These should be paid once you are in accommodation.

It sounds more complicated than it actually is

Sandra
    Accommodation Services

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I am currently applying for accommodation as a post graduate student. I am currently on the room preference section and would like to know the difference between the Maclay Residences Single ensuite and premium options.

Also if I need '52 week lets' does that mean I cannot choose the residences that have a strike through the '52 week lets' option.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi Taggatle,

The difference between the single and the premium rooms at Maclay Residences is their size:

Single rooms are generally 12 square meters with a standard size single bed (91 x 190 cm).

Double rooms are generally 16 square meters with a standard UK size double bed (137 x 190 cm).

You can select any of our postgraduate residences regardless of the length of your contract.

Hope this helps when submitting your application

Sandra
    Accommodation Services

ReputationRep:
    Hello, what time can I move all my things on 9th September because I am moving all my things from England and am struggling to manage everything and need to know when

ReputationRep:
    Hi Jj977,

Nice to hear you are already planning your big move to Glasgow

Your room will be ready for entry from 4pm on the 9th of September. In August you'll receive an email from us asking you to complete an e-induction, here you'll be able to book an arrival slot to advise residence staff of your intended arrival date and time.

Have a look at our Arrival Guides for more information.

Sandra
    Accommodation Services

ReputationRep:
    When I applied for accommodation, I put the names of a couple friends down in the hopes that we might be lucky and end up getting put together. Two of us applied just after the applicants day, and the other one finally applied not long ago.

We all put down the same choices down as our first 4, in order: Queen Margaret, the two options for Cairncross, and then a regular Murano room.

The two of us who applied a while ago both got Murano, our 4th choice, whereas the other guy who just got a response tonight has been placed in Cairncross, his 3rd choice. I'm pretty confused how he managed to get a higher choice than us after applying so much later; how does the selection system work exactly?

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

I have finished my course and I am awaiting my certificate which will not be available before 15th of July! Obviously if I do not have a certificate I do not get an unconditional offer and if I don't get an unconditional offer I do not get my offer for the accommodation. Isn't there anything else I can provide in the place of my certificate to get an unconditional offer and the accommodation offer? My condition for being accepted was to graduate with a 2:1 which I did.

Thank you!
    Alex

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, I have received an offer for accommodation but at my 6th choice, and honestly I only entered choices past my top 3 because you had to. I don't understand how I only got my last choice considering I applied very early and have an unconditional offer?

Is it at all possible to change to one of my preferred ones?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    University of Glasgow Accommodation
    Hi, just wondering since I need to wait until August to hear about accommodation, how likely is it that there would be any outside-UofG private accommodation still available? Just in case I got my 6th choice, which I really don't like. I'd be happy with any of my 1st to 5th choices, but if it was the 6th then I would have to book elsewhere, i'm guessing by that time they'd all be sold out though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abraaacadabra)
    When I applied for accommodation, I put the names of a couple friends down in the hopes that we might be lucky and end up getting put together. Two of us applied just after the applicants day, and the other one finally applied not long ago.

We all put down the same choices down as our first 4, in order: Queen Margaret, the two options for Cairncross, and then a regular Murano room.

The two of us who applied a while ago both got Murano, our 4th choice, whereas the other guy who just got a response tonight has been placed in Cairncross, his 3rd choice. I'm pretty confused how he managed to get a higher choice than us after applying so much later; how does the selection system work exactly?
    Hi abraaacadabra,

Unfortunately situations like this can occur in the allocations process. We allocate all applications in the date order in which they are received and, in general, students who apply early do have a better chance of being offered one of their top preferences. However, if an early applicant rejects or withdraws their application, the space that has been vacated will go back into the pot for re-allocation and will be offered to the students who are next in line. This can lead to students who apply later gaining higher preference than someone who applied earlier and, without knowing the specifics of your application, is probably what has happened here.

Hope this explains the process.

Best wishes,

Alexander
    Accommodation Services

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RAlexO)
    Hi!

I have finished my course and I am awaiting my certificate which will not be available before 15th of July! Obviously if I do not have a certificate I do not get an unconditional offer and if I don't get an unconditional offer I do not get my offer for the accommodation. Isn't there anything else I can provide in the place of my certificate to get an unconditional offer and the accommodation offer? My condition for being accepted was to graduate with a 2:1 which I did.

Thank you!
    Alex

Hi @RAlexO,

Well done on meeting your conditions. Unfortunately we can only send out offers when we have received confirmation from Admissions that your status is officially updated. However, as you already know your results, it may be worthwhile contacting your academic department to see if they can do anything to expedite the process.

Best wishes,

Alexander
    Accommodation Services

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hugeJamesS)
    Hi there, I have received an offer for accommodation but at my 6th choice, and honestly I only entered choices past my top 3 because you had to. I don't understand how I only got my last choice considering I applied very early and have an unconditional offer?

Is it at all possible to change to one of my preferred ones?

Thanks
    Hi @hugeJamesS,

Unfortunately we always have to ask for the six preferences for the application because we simply don’t have enough spaces to offer everyone their preferred choice. If you’ve received your 6th choice it can only be because your other preferences are not available. At this stage there isn't great deal we can do but in September we will be opening up our transfer requests so if you arrive and aren’t able to settle in to your residence we will be able to start looking for another option for you.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Alexander
    Accommodation Services

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thermometer)
    University of Glasgow Accommodation
    Hi, just wondering since I need to wait until August to hear about accommodation, how likely is it that there would be any outside-UofG private accommodation still available? Just in case I got my 6th choice, which I really don't like. I'd be happy with any of my 1st to 5th choices, but if it was the 6th then I would have to book elsewhere, i'm guessing by that time they'd all be sold out though?

Hi @thermometer,

There’s certainly a lot of private accommodation for students in Glasgow but we wouldn’t have any way of knowing what availability would be like come August.If you are considering going private just be aware that there are several additional factors that you would need to take into consideration. For instance, contracts in the private sector are often longer that those offered by the University and are very difficult to get out of should you have to leave your course. There may also be issues with things like council tax etc so just be very careful when looking in the private sector. Hopefully you’ll get one of your preferred choices though and it won’t be an issue.

Best wishes,

Alexander
    AccommodationServices

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by University of Glasgow Accommodation)
    Hi @thermometer,

There’s certainly a lot of private accommodation for students in Glasgow but we wouldn’t have any way of knowing what availability would be like come August.If you are considering going private just be aware that there are several additional factors that you would need to take into consideration. For instance, contracts in the private sector are often longer that those offered by the University and are very difficult to get out of should you have to leave your course. There may also be issues with things like council tax etc so just be very careful when looking in the private sector. Hopefully you’ll get one of your preferred choices though and it won’t be an issue.

Best wishes,

Alexander
    AccommodationServices
    Thanks so much, I'll remember that! I'm just confused about how you said to the person above that their 1st-5th choices were ALL unavailable; how is that possible at this early stage for someone with an unconditional offer? do the rooms really go that fast

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thermometer)
    Thanks so much, I'll remember that! I'm just confused about how you said to the person above that their 1st-5th choices were ALL unavailable; how is that possible at this early stage for someone with an unconditional offer? do the rooms really go that fast

No problem at all @thermometer.Yes, the rooms do go fast but we have a system in place to ensure that the accommodation is distributed fairly throughout the application period and that students applying with a conditional status aren’t disadvantaged when it comes to getting one of their top preferences. The fact that a student with an unconditional has received an offer for their 6th preference shouldn’t have any bearing on your chances of getting one of your preferences.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Alexander
    Accommodation Services

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

Could you recommend me a residence hall that is best for an international postgraduate student, not too noisy, with a good location, and a reasonable price? Also, "shared" in "Students Apartments" and "Cairncross House" is only the kitchen and the bathroom or the bedroom too? To be more spesific, I don't mind sharing the kitchen but I would prefer to have my own bathroom/shower. Thanks in advance!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 7, 2017
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.