Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AZBrit)
    It's Sept 8th and if it is the same as the January dates match, keys can be picked up in the afternoon depending on which residence. I haven't seen anythign posted fro September yet.

http://www.gla.ac.uk/services/accomm...qs/#d.en.40678

I am also coming form the US (Phoenix) the week before with my son - what will your daughter be studying?
    Hi- we are from the Los Angeles area- not too far from you. My D is studying computer science. We should get them to start a FB Glasgow page!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm currently applying for accomodation for 2017/18. I'm confused about Kelvinhaugh Gate as I've heard it's for post grad and older undergrad. Do first years generally stay there? I don't want to live somewhere there are no first years in case I struggle to make friends. Thanks!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by ScottishFold)
    Since we are from the US, we will be arriving the week before Freshers week to help my daughter check into her halls. Do you know when students have access to their accommodations? Since Freshers week starts Sept 11th, I am hoping it is the Saturday before (Sept 9) or sooner.
    Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi ScottishFold ,

Yes, AZBrit is absolutely correct. The contracts this year will begin at 4pm on Friday 8 September so you’ll have access to your room from that point on.

Best wishes,

Alexander
    Accommodation Services
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by sarahe6)
    Hi, I'm currently applying for accomodation for 2017/18. I'm confused about Kelvinhaugh Gate as I've heard it's for post grad and older undergrad. Do first years generally stay there? I don't want to live somewhere there are no first years in case I struggle to make friends. Thanks!

Hi @sarahe6,

Yes, Kelvinhaugh Gate is an undergraduate residence so you would be amongst first year students. In previous years Kelvinhaugh Gate was a postgraduate residence but last year we changed it to undergraduate and it has been very popular

Best wishes,

Alexander
    Accommodation Services

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I was wondering if we get to choose the kind of people we room with (e.g. party people/not party people).

Also, are international students mixed in with non-international people, or are they usually sorted separately.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

This will depend on which halls of residence you are staying in. For example, the Murano Street Student Village are a complete mix of all types of students, including home and international students.

If you are female, however, you can request a female-only flat.

Cheers,
    Greg (4th year student)
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by meatballspesto)
    Hi,

I was wondering if we get to choose the kind of people we room with (e.g. party people/not party people).

Also, are international students mixed in with non-international people, or are they usually sorted separately.

Hi meatballspesto,

When we are allocating the rooms we primarily take into account age, gender and level of study in order to place students near to others with similar interests but unfortunately we just don’t have the information to allocate students according to their lifestyles and personalities.

We don’t assign rooms on the basis of nationality so international and domestic students will all be allocated together.

Best wishes,

Alexander
    Accommodation Services

ReputationRep:
    Are there buses from the halls to the uni?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I was wondering if it would be possible to have some of my stuff shipped to my accommodation a few days prior to my arrival as I will be flying to glasgow for university and i don't want to take too much luggage on the plane with me.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by zoop123)
    Are there buses from the halls to the uni?

Hi zoop123 ,

All of our residences, with the exception of Wolfson Hall, are within 20/25 minutes’ walk of the main University campus so there aren’t any buses that run directly. There are good public transport options around all of the residences so if you wanted to catch a bus to campus that would definitely be an option but most students tend to make their way in on foot.

Best wishes,

Alexander
    Accommodation Services
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by janettojo)
    Hi, I was wondering if it would be possible to have some of my stuff shipped to my accommodation a few days prior to my arrival as I will be flying to glasgow for university and i don't want to take too much luggage on the plane with me.

Hi janettojo ,

Unfortunately our residences don’t really have any secure storage areas where you your things could be held so it would definitely be best to wait until you have arrived before having anything sent through.

Best wishes,

Alexander
    Accommodation Services

ReputationRep:
    Hi UofG,

I have applied for Kelvinhaugh Gate for this year but i am worried i wont be among many other freshers as i've heard it is mixed with postgrads and just haven't heard much talk of kelvinhaugh gate at all. I'm probably just being paranoid but just wanted to check!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi Woody4v ,

No need to worry, Kelvinhaugh Gate is an exclusively undergraduate residence so you would be amongst first year students

Best wishes,

Alexander
    Accommodation Services

ReputationRep:
    Any word yet on when accommodation replies will be going out for unconditional offer holders?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by AZBrit)
    Any word yet on when accommodation replies will be going out for unconditional offer holders?

Hi AZBrit,

Yes, we’re just finalising some last details but we should have the offers sent out within the next two weeks.

Best wishes,

Alexander
    Accommodation Services

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I was wondering if, as a single-semester exchange student from NZ, I am likely to be allocated a place in accommodation. If so, should I expect to receive an offer at the same time as unconditional offer holders or later in the allocations process? I completed my application form about a month ago.

Thanks
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by amykb)
    Hi,

I was wondering if, as a single-semester exchange student from NZ, I am likely to be allocated a place in accommodation. If so, should I expect to receive an offer at the same time as unconditional offer holders or later in the allocations process? I completed my application form about a month ago.

Thanks

Hi amykb,

Yes, as long as you are coming through the Study Abroad programme you will be guaranteed accommodation We’re actually just in the process of finalising the accommodation offers at the moment so we’ll hopefully have something with you in the next few weeks.

Best wishes,

Alexander
    Accommodation Services

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    I am about to apply for accomodation and I have some doubts. I am intrested mainly in Student appartments and Cairncross House. What is the difference between twin room in those properties? In case of both twin and single rooms in those two, how many rooms share one bathroom/kitchen?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I submitted my housing application in March and I got an unconditional offer from the University two weeks ago. When can I expect to get an update on my accommodation status?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by vonbroten)
    Hi! Are students at the Glasgow school of art eligible for UoG halls, as their diplomas are awarded by your uni?
    Hi Vonbroten,

We are a great student accommodation based in Paisley, right next to the train station and only an 8 minute journey to Glasgow City Centre. We have a number of Glasgow School of Art Students staying with us who absolutely love it here. It's a great atmosphere, with students from all over the world and studying at different Universities.

You can check out our webpage http://freshstudentliving.co.uk/location/paisley/ or give me a call on 0141 212 9859.

Hopefully speak soon

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
  2. University of Glasgow
    All Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.