Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hi
    I'm posting on behalf of my friend who wants to do veterinary medicine at the University of Surrey 2017 entry
    her gcse are
    art-c
    maths-A
    res mat -A
    French - B
    History - A
    Biology - A
    Physics - A
    English Literature - B
    English Langauge - B
    RE - B
    Chemistry B

When she spoke to some representatives they said an A in Chemistry wasn't necessary at GCSE to take the course but some research says otherwise. If she took triple Science and these are her grades do she have a chance of being accepted to the course?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soph1el0u1se)
    hi
    I'm posting on behalf of my friend who wants to do veterinary medicine at the University of Surrey 2017 entry
    her gcse are
    art-c
    maths-A
    res mat -A
    French - B
    History - A
    Biology - A
    Physics - A
    English Literature - B
    English Langauge - B
    RE - B
    Chemistry B

When she spoke to some representatives they said an A in Chemistry wasn't necessary at GCSE to take the course but some research says otherwise. If she took triple Science and these are her grades do she have a chance of being accepted to the course?
    Hi there, I think its best if your friend who wants the answer posts this question as applying to vet med is very different from any other course, mainly in regard to the work experience requirements. Its therefore a lot easier to answer a question from someone who alrady knows a bit about the application process (which she should if she's done her GCSEs).
    Also Chemistry GCSE is easy compared to A-level so if she struggled with that then it doesn't bode well i'm afraid. Having said that if she is motivated and work hard then I'm sure she would make the top grades.
    I don't know much about Surrey's admissions but simply applying to one vet school may not be the best idea if she has her heart set on being a vet. I know at Liverpool, the academic requirements are a baseline and they only interview those who are above that (and ranked according to work experience). Best thing to do would be to find some current students at Surrey and to ask them what sort of grades they had/their friends had at GCSE.
    Feel free to ask more questions or get the 'friend' to message me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soph1el0u1se)
    hi
    her gcse are
    art-c
    maths-A
    res mat -A
    French - B
    History - A
    Biology - A
    Physics - A
    English Literature - B
    English Langauge - B
    RE - B
    Chemistry B

"GCSE: Minimum five subjects at grade A or above to include Chemistry, Biology and Physics (or double science).

Mathematics and English Language required at a minimum of grade B"

She would need an A in chemistry at GCSE level for 2017 entry. Surrey are very specific with their requirements, and will not accept applicants who do not meet the criteria when applying.

I considered applying to Surrey a few years ago. I didn't have the GCSEs required but I had extenuating circumstances. I rang Surrey up and I was told that no matter what my circumstances were, they would not look at my application, despite the fact Nottingham and Bristol had told me to give them a doctors letter before applying because of my reasons for not obtaining the GCSEs they required.

I wouldn't advise your friend to just apply to the one vet school, but to apply for 4 since you get 4 on your application. I also wouldn't advise anyone to set their heart on purely one vet school.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 24, 2016

University open days

1. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  2. University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  3. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.