Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I can't decide whether to apply for a Business course or an ICT course, and although there are a lot of joint courses for business and ICT which I'm considering, I want to apply for a separate course each (if that makes sense) in case I change my mind about the other subject. Does anyone have any tips for writing my personal statement? How should I focus on both? Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by caitlinchristie)
    I can't decide whether to apply for a Business course or an ICT course, and although there are a lot of joint courses for business and ICT which I'm considering, I want to apply for a separate course each (if that makes sense) in case I change my mind about the other subject. Does anyone have any tips for writing my personal statement? How should I focus on both? Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This is a terrible idea. One thing universities are looking for from a PS is that you know what you're getting in to (people who are undecided or applying for completely the wrong course are very likely to drop out - so universities tend to reject them to save the hassle)

if you're unsure of which to apply for then it's generally a good idea to write a PS for both (ie write 2 PSs), you'll usually find that one is a lot easier to write than the other which is a good hint about which you should go for.

Plus if you have a PS for both subjects then you can get on with putting together you application in the Autumn but delay actually applying. Schools and colleges tend to have early deadlines because they want reassurance that applicants aren't all going to ask for a reference within a few weeks of the deadline. If you tell your referee that you're unsure and so are preparing for either applying to all business or all ICT courses then they'll usually be happy for you to do your bits, add their reference and then send it back to you for you to finalise which PS to send and which courses to apply to.

You have 9 months to make the decision about which to apply to - USE IT. Don't apply early with an unfocused application. Use your summer to research different courses and options and figure out which course really is right for you (for example instead of either/or have you looked into the range of IT for business/organisations courses - they offer a range of topics that could cover both interests and make you highly employable - these are better than a combined course in many cases as combined courses are generally treated as the poor relation in many universities).
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I think PQ has hit the nail on the head there.

Just to add my own experiences - one of my UCAS choices was unrelated to my PS. The University still considered me and gave me an interview, but it was clear to me that they didn't really like that I was their "2nd" option. I had to draft another PS and sent it to them my e-mail. I was grilled a lot at interview (when most other students applying to the same course weren't). Despite already meeting their grade requirements as stated on their website (I had a gap year in which I took up a new subject), I was still required to achieve a very high grade in my "extra" subject.

So it's not impossible to apply and get an offer to a course which isn't mentioned in your PS, this will depend on the course and uni itself and it's FAR better to have a more focused PS.

If you are equally passionate about both ICT & Business then I wouldn't rule this out as a combined degree. If you don't like it after 1 year there *might* be the option of doing an internal transfer / or to start afresh the following year (bear in mind you can only get your degree length + 1 year of funding from student finance).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
    Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.