Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, trying to do some research for my boyfriend in case he could get some more money; we have a friend who receives more money due to his dad having bipolar disorder and his mum caring for him, and know of another person who receives more money on account of not talking to or seeing his parents (actually not sure if that is strictly true but I know he gets more loan because of it). My boyfriend gets minimum loan due to his dad having a government job, but he hasn't seen or heard from his mum in two years, so gets no financial support from her whatsoever, and she is likely to be suffering from a mental illness. His dad has a partner who contributes nothing financially to him and he's struggling - does anyone know if there's a possibility he could receive money from SFE? Cheers
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by teganrowe)
    My boyfriend gets minimum loan due to his dad having a government job, but he hasn't seen or heard from his mum in two years, so gets no financial support from her whatsoever, and she is likely to be suffering from a mental illness. His dad has a partner who contributes nothing financially to him and he's struggling - does anyone know if there's a possibility he could receive money from SFE? Cheers
    I'm afraid that your boyfriends entitlement will already be calculated based on his dad and his dad's partner's household income. His mum wont factor into it.

Does your boyfriend get no support beyond the minimum at the moment? If so then his dad's household income must be above £58k after deducting pension contributions. If that sounds a lot higher than expected then it could be that your boyfriend's dad isn't completing the finance forms or is omitting information about pension contributions.

If your boyfriend has claimed all that he is entitled to then he should approach his university student support office to ask about university bursaries and scholarships and hardship funds.

It isn't clear from your post whether it is your boyfriend who is struggling or his dad?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.