Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was just thinking about what it means to really "find yourself". It's a phrase that we hear so often that it can sound a little corny and cliché. Frequently we hear and give advice to our friends, read tips online, articles in magazines, but sometimes it just feels like empty words and sort of unrelatable (not sure if that's even a word but yeah..) When I stop and think about what "finding myself" really means, I struggle to understand or really think of how to actually apply it to my own life. I don't know, I'm probably just rambling. Does anyone feel me??!! What does it means for you guys? Do you feel like you have found yourself? And if you have, what were the steps you took in doing so?

For me, I don't even feel like I've begun to, but I'm only in my early twenties still. Maybe it's a journey you are constantly on throughout your whole life? I mean, I know what I don't want and don't like, but I still don't feel like I KNOW me yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinkerbelle2)
    I was just thinking about what it means to really "find yourself". It's a phrase that we hear so often that it can sound a little corny and cliché. Frequently we hear and give advice to our friends, read tips online, articles in magazines, but sometimes it just feels like empty words and sort of unrelatable (not sure if that's even a word but yeah..) When I stop and think about what "finding myself" really means, I struggle to understand or really think of how to actually apply it to my own life. I don't know, I'm probably just rambling. Does anyone feel me??!! What does it means for you guys? Do you feel like you have found yourself? And if you have, what were the steps you took in doing so?

For me, I don't even feel like I've begun to, but I'm only in my early twenties still. Maybe it's a journey you are constantly on throughout your whole life? I mean, I know what I don't want and don't like, but I still don't feel like I KNOW me yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    to find yourself you search yourself on google maps

ReputationRep:
    I think finding yourself is being really self aware, and then confident in yourself. But I guess because of the personal nature of it, online advice and stuff is going to be pretty vague. I don't know that its a journey you're on for your whole life, but I certainly wouldn't expect many people in our age range have truly found themselves.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

http://drqs7w59yc2ot.cloudfront.net/...backwards.jpeg

ReputationRep:
    Interesting quote Stefano, I like it 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dean01234)
    I think finding yourself is being really self aware, and then confident in yourself. But I guess because of the personal nature of it, online advice and stuff is going to be pretty vague. I don't know that its a journey you're on for your whole life, but I certainly wouldn't expect many people in our age range have truly found themselves.
    Yeah I think so too! You're right!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I guess I'm lucky in that I've long had a strong sense of identity stemming from my religious beliefs (not to say that one needs to have religious beliefs in order to have an identity - not true at all! People can have an identity without being religious; similarly, those with religious beliefs may not necessarily have a strong sense of identity) :jebus:

I guess I 'found' myself in a most unexpected way, when I was not really looking for myself. I was at uni and found myself in a position where I was learning to love and look after someone who was very ill. That experience was very tough and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy... but it DID teach me a lot about myself and who I really am :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    I guess I'm lucky in that I've long had a strong sense of identity stemming from my religious beliefs (not to say that one needs to have religious beliefs in order to have an identity - not true at all! People can have an identity without being religious; similarly, those with religious beliefs may not necessarily have a strong sense of identity) :jebus:

I guess I 'found' myself in a most unexpected way, when I was not really looking for myself. I was at uni and found myself in a position where I was learning to love and look after someone who was very ill. That experience was very tough and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy... but it DID teach me a lot about myself and who I really am :yes:
    Hey, thanks for sharing! That's a wonderful way to find yourself!

Yeah I have heard that religion can give you a strong sense of identity, that's a really positive thing.

Wow, caring for someone very ill must've been really tough at times, but rewarding too; it's amazing as it goes to show you must be a very kind and giving person. It's something to be proud of! YOU did that! It probably gave you a lot of confidence within yourself too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Hey, thanks for sharing! That's a wonderful way to find yourself!

Yeah I have heard that religion can give you a strong sense of identity, that's a really positive thing.

Wow, caring for someone very ill must've been really tough at times, but rewarding too; it's amazing as it goes to show you must be a very kind and giving person. It's something to be proud of! YOU did that! It probably gave you a lot of confidence within yourself too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I dunno, at the time I felt like I was just doing what any half-decent person would do in the circumstances. It did give me a lot of confidence within myself though because it showed me that I had all these qualities that were totally opposite to what people had said about me (and consequently, what I had internalised). So overall, whilst it was rather challenging and less than ideal, I think it was an experience worth having

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    I dunno, at the time I felt like I was just doing what any half-decent person would do in the circumstances. It did give me a lot of confidence within myself though because it showed me that I had all these qualities that were totally opposite to what people had said about me (and consequently, what I had internalised). So overall, whilst it was rather challenging and less than ideal, I think it was an experience worth having
    That's cool tho. A lot of people are just compassionless (prob not a word but he) idiots who have no empathy towards others and it genuinely concerns me sometimes! Aww I bet the people said mean things about you didn't properly know you. It's really nice to feel you have a purpose. I like to think if I was in a situation where my parents or other relatives needed looking after I'd try my best to provide as much as I could myself but would probably need to rely on extra support too. I've done care work before but I can imagine there's totally different emotions involved when it's someone you actually know well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think it just means being introspective and focusing on:

- Your important ''moral'' principles in life
    - Your general values/norms
    - What interests and passions matter to you the most.

I think people are constantly bombarded with the message "find yourself" because, in reality, not that many people are self-aware or pay a lot of attention to what really goes on inside their mind.

At least that's my take on it

ReputationRep:
    but how do you find or discover those??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MoonRocket)
    but how do you find or discover those??
    Yeah that's the tricky part!?
    I suppose by experimenting and at least discovering what you definitely don't like, which narrows it down! Different jobs, living in different places, different experiences, different friends - working out what makes you feel good and happy and alive, that sort of thing I suppose!
    Like I know working in retail is definitely not for me (tbh it's not for many people!) and hopefully I won't have to work in a shop again! And I'm trying to learn not to surround myself with people that treat me like crap or use me. I find it difficult to find people that I feel value as much as I do them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 7, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.