Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakepds)
    This is wrong. ALL OXBRIDGE DEGREE OFFERS ARE BASED ON 3 A LEVELS AS NOT EVERY SCHOOL CAN AFFORD TO TEACH MORE THAN THAT. THERE IS NO POINT IN DOING MORE THAN 3/4 A LEVELS.

Despite you enjoying the subjects, you have to love them to do well at A Level. It isn't just about doing the class work and home work, you have to do extra reading and consolidation as well: so make sure you enjoy them.

For anyone that is going to call me out on the 3 A Level stance, claiming that you need more than that; I go to the 16th best state school in the country. This year, 21 boys got offers to Oxford and Cambridge, only 3 are doing 4 A levels. They don't tell us to do 3, they strongly discourage doing 4 as well.

Additionally, with the current restructuring of A Levels, there will be no possibility to drop the subject and still have a qualification as they are phasing out AS, so think carefully about your decision.
    Cambridge is a bit more lenient (wrt grades) than ICL when it comes to ChemE, Yes a typical offer from Camb ChemE is A*A*A but I didn't just say Cambridge did I? The majority of offers for ICL ChemE are A*A*AA, op would ideally be considering both so I listed the highest of the 2 as the target.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QuibblerWaffle)
    Hey
    I'm in y12 and currently taking:

Physics
    Maths
    Further Maths
    Chemistry
    Spanish

and want to do chemical engineering at Imperial so pretty much the same as you.

From what I've researched, Chemistry and Maths are compulsory and Further Maths and physics are HIGHLY recommended which basically means your chances are highly reduced if you don't take the full a-level.

I took Spanish because I am fluent in it since I am Spanish but neither Imperial nor Cambridge will it take into account because I am already taking four other subjects.

IT IS MUCH BETTER TO GET 3 A* THAN 5 A, or even 1A* and 3A. If I were you I would drop philosophy as it is time consuming and irrelevant for chemical engineering,

hope it helps,
    Alonso

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlonsoAMG)
    I'm in y12 and currently taking:

Physics
    Maths
    Further Maths
    Chemistry
    Spanish

and want to do chemical engineering at Imperial so pretty much the same as you.

From what I've researched, Chemistry and Maths are compulsory and Further Maths and physics are HIGHLY recommended which basically means your chances are highly reduced if you don't take the full a-level.

I took Spanish because I am fluent in it since I am Spanish but neither Imperial nor Cambridge will it take into account because I am already taking four other subjects.

IT IS MUCH BETTER TO GET 3 A* THAN 5 A, or even 1A* and 3A. If I were you I would drop philosophy as it is time consuming and irrelevant for chemical engineering,

hope it helps,
    Alonso
    Thanks, I've recently contacted my sixth form/college and requested only Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Further Maths - it makes the most sense and I'd probably end up regretting taking 5

ReputationRep:

Thanks in advance :cute:
    I know a lot of other people would have told you this, and you may have already made your decision, but honestly it's a bad idea to do 5 A-Levels. You have, most likely, deeply underestimated how difficult A Levels are, especially in the courses you want to do. The people that did this at my school (the year above me, I'm in year 12 currently) would have been on track to achieve 4 As (but they were 'confident' they could do just as well in 5) and ended up with something like AABB at AS - not bad grades, but nowhere near what they needed and would have gotten.

5 A levels in unnecessary and will put unneeded pressure on you. It is highly unlikely you'd perform as well, especially since the 5 you are deciding on doing are fairly intense. Drop philosophy (it's irrelevant to what you want to do) and focus on doing well in the other 4. EPQ is also somewhat beneficial - I've just finished it and some of the people in my class got lower offers based on it.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I've recently contacted my sixth form/college and requested only Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Further Maths - it makes the most sense and I'd probably end up regretting taking 5
    Never mind, I just read this
    It's a good choice to make, IMO, but definitely look into doing the EPQ! As I said, some people got lower offers dependent on their EPQ grade (I know Southampton University definitely do this).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by celloel)
    I know a lot of other people would have told you this, and you may have already made your decision, but honestly it's a bad idea to do 5 A-Levels. You have, most likely, deeply underestimated how difficult A Levels are, especially in the courses you want to do. The people that did this at my school (the year above me, I'm in year 12 currently) would have been on track to achieve 4 As (but they were 'confident' they could do just as well in 5) and ended up with something like AABB at AS - not bad grades, but nowhere near what they needed and would have gotten.

5 A levels in unnecessary and will put unneeded pressure on you. It is highly unlikely you'd perform as well, especially since the 5 you are deciding on doing are fairly intense. Drop philosophy (it's irrelevant to what you want to do) and focus on doing well in the other 4. EPQ is also somewhat beneficial - I've just finished it and some of the people in my class got lower offers based on it.
    Thanks anyways:lol:

(Original post by celloel)
    Never mind, I just read this
    It's a good choice to make, IMO, but definitely look into doing the EPQ! As I said, some people got lower offers dependent on their EPQ grade (I know Southampton University definitely do this).
    Of course I will, haven't really looked into the EPQ so not entirely informed about how it works but will definitely give it a try when I reach that stage
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Thanks anyways:lol:

Of course I will, haven't really looked into the EPQ so not entirely informed about how it works but will definitely give it a try when I reach that stage
    Most unis don't drop grades for EPQ. Some will state that they do (like Southampton as cell said) but again its very rare. Really the EPQ makes you sound more interesting in your personal statement, if its related to the course then it shows your enthusiasm and you learn some very important skills for uni. I finished it last month so I can answer any questions on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vikingninja)
    Most unis don't drop grades for EPQ. Some will state that they do (like Southampton as cell said) but again its very rare. Really the EPQ makes you sound more interesting in your personal statement, if its related to the course then it shows your enthusiasm and you learn some very important skills for uni. I finished it last month so I can answer any questions on it.
    What did you do your EPQ in (does it link directly to the degree you'd like to pursue)?
    How long does it take to complete?
    Does it have to be presented in essay form?
    Is it really time consuming?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    What did you do your EPQ in (does it link directly to the degree you'd like to pursue)?
    How long does it take to complete?
    Does it have to be presented in essay form?
    Is it really time consuming?
    My title was "Will be ever be able to colonise planets outside of our solar system?", I'm applying for civil engineering so entirely unrelated.

Started around the end of AS summer term and main research was during the summer holiday, report writing started in September and I finished it in February.

It's either a large report/essay or a smaller report/essay with an artifact (e.g. video). You also have a production log, you should have a planner and diary and finally there is a presentation at the end.

Research was for me but my organisation during the holiday was appalling and I mostly went for the idea of doing as much as possible each day, if you can manage your time properly then it will be so much less stressful. I ended up normally during the academic year doing about 4-6 hours a week. A guy I knew didn't plan so well and literally spent an entire free day making alterations for 12 hours.

ReputationRep:
    Hey

I've chosen my A level subjects and was thinking of taking the following:
    Maths
    Chemistry
    Physics
    Further maths
    Philosophy
    I might end up doing an EPQ in Computer Science

I am an aspiring Chemical Engineer and have high hopes for myself to study at either Cambridge or Imperial:awesome:
    I will be dropping further maths and philosophy at A2.

Is the workload of 5 AS subjects too much to cope with?
    Will I have a lot of free periods, if any at all?
    Will I have time for a social life?

I understand there's this whole concept of "it's better to achieve 4A's than 2A's and 3B's" but I know I can do well. I plan on going over briefly all of my subjects during the summer holidays and doing revision regularly (not just because I'll have to but genuinely because I really like learning). When I first made the decision I was thrilled and excited to get GCSE's over and done with but now I feel like I've made the wrong choice and possibly underestimated a-levels? It'd be great to hear some stories of how well people have coped/coping with 5 a-levels or with any of the subjects I've chosen above.

It will be hard work, and i doubt you will get any free periods, but it is possible.
    A girl i went to 6th form with got 5 A's and 1 C at a-level. This was the last year before the A* grade at a-level came in, so A*'s wherent possible, but she did get full marks in quite a few modules.

ReputationRep:
    Hey

I've chosen my A level subjects and was thinking of taking the following:
    Maths
    Chemistry
    Physics
    Further maths
    Philosophy
    I might end up doing an EPQ in Computer Science

I am an aspiring Chemical Engineer and have high hopes for myself to study at either Cambridge or Imperial:awesome:
    I will be dropping further maths and philosophy at A2.

Is the workload of 5 AS subjects too much to cope with?
    Will I have a lot of free periods, if any at all?
    Will I have time for a social life?

I understand there's this whole concept of "it's better to achieve 4A's than 2A's and 3B's" but I know I can do well. I plan on going over briefly all of my subjects during the summer holidays and doing revision regularly (not just because I'll have to but genuinely because I really like learning). When I first made the decision I was thrilled and excited to get GCSE's over and done with but now I feel like I've made the wrong choice and possibly underestimated a-levels? It'd be great to hear some stories of how well people have coped/coping with 5 a-levels or with any of the subjects I've chosen above.

Doing 5 A-Levels is certainly impressive, but you are better off getting 4 high A*'s than 5 low grades.

My recommendation, don't undertake an extra A-Level at the expense of the other four. My friend's sister is studying Chemical Engineering at Cambridge, and received offers from all 5 of the universities she applied to, and took Maths, Further Maths, Bio, Chem and Physics in her first year, but then dropped Biology at the end of the year.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HardWorker78615)
    Doing 5 A-Levels is certainly impressive, but you are better off getting 4 high A*'s than 5 low grades.

My recommendation, don't undertake an extra A-Level at the expense of the other four. My friend's sister is studying Chemical Engineering at Cambridge, and received offers from all 5 of the universities she applied to, and took Maths, Further Maths, Bio, Chem and Physics in her first year, but then dropped Biology at the end of the year.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do!

I'm sticking with 4 now
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I'm sticking with 4 now
    Thanks
    I think you made the best choice, good luck with everything!

ReputationRep:
    5 AS is possible but 5 full a levels? Nope, you'll HAVE to drop for A2, if you get a uni offer it'll only include 3, 4 max so holding onto the 5th will make the other grades insecure. I was passionate about doing 5, I'm now doing 4 and boy it's a load. Those are hard depth topics and require multiple skills. It's all easy and fun at first but when you get to the hard stuff it's a struggle to push yourself. You'll always have to revise and make it your life, personally I'd say do 4 and focus on non academic studies/activities especially for Philosophy since it's not a highly respected a level but having knowledge around it is, it'll give you something non academic to talk about in your university interview and PS and will allow you to enjoy the topic without stress and could in fact help you get away from stress, I speak from experience

ReputationRep:
    why not do IB INSTEAD you do more subjects
    just stick to 4 if you want to do a levels

ReputationRep:
    I'm sticking with 4 now
    Thanks
    Hey, just saw this

Hope everything worked out!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.