Turn on thread page Beta

Is fish meat or not? watch

• View Poll Results: Are vegetarians who eat fish truly vegetarians?
    Yes
    52.54%
    No
    44.07%
    Not sure
    3.39%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by homeland.lsw)
    ohhhh of course.
    But what if I went...I don't really like beef/pork/lamb/chicken but love fish+seafood so will eat those for the rest of my life...
    That's normal right?
    I wouldn't call that a moral reason (I shouldn't actually be calling anythign a moral reason as I don't really follow ''morality''but it's the only word I can think of) just a personal preference xD

Fish is a lot nicer than beef/pork/lamb by far.

ReputationRep:
    Formally, no. For people who are vegetarian for moral reasons they would find it fairly ridiculous to claim that you are vegetarian if you also happen to eat fish as the wrongness is still the same.

Informally, and practically, it quite reasonable. People are usually serving red or white meat and saying you are a vegetarian helps inform them of this preference, especially when many people might not know what pescatarian means.Further, for those who are 'vegetarian' for health reasons, they often just do it so they don't red meat, which means again calling yourself vegetarian may be acceptable.

(Original post by Inexorably)
    I wouldn't call that a moral reason (I shouldn't actually be calling anythign a moral reason as I don't really follow ''morality''but it's the only word I can think of) just a personal preference xD

Fish is a lot nicer than beef/pork/lamb by far.
    by normal I meant logical, nothing to do with morals

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by homeland.lsw)
    by normal I meant logical, nothing to do with morals
    Then yeah that's a perfectly reasonable thing to do if you'd prefer to do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juichiro)
    Is this a joke? Fish, like every other animal, has meat. What made you think otherwise?
    i've definitely met people who insist they're vegetarian although they eat fish...

ReputationRep:
    Who tf said fish is not meat?!
    nucdev
    Spoiler:
    Show
    doba salao

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefatone)
    here's the definition of flesh
    the soft substance consisting of muscle and fat that is found between the skin and bones of a human or an animal

so does this apply to fish or don't they have this?

wat. fish is meat for vegetarians? so they're thus not vegetarian, they're Pescatarians
    Well what do you think is between the skin and bones of a fish?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Haddock)
    Well what do you think is between the skin and bones of a fish?
    i think it's meat but others seem to think differently

ReputationRep:
    here's the definition of flesh
    the soft substance consisting of muscle and fat that is found between the skin and bones of a human or an animal

so does this apply to fish or don't they have this?

wat. fish is meat for vegetarians? so they're thus not vegetarian, they're Pescatarians
    And that definition also applies to fish, why on earth would you think they don't have muscles or fat? How do you think they move?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spv)
    Who tf said fish is not meat?!
    nucdev
    Spoiler:
    Show
    doba salao
    all those who voted yes on this poll

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    And that definition also applies to fish, why on earth would you think they don't have muscles or fat? How do you think they move?
    all those who voted yes seem to think fish is not meat via the definition which google give of vegetarians which is
    a person who does not eat meat or fish, and sometimes other animal products,

ReputationRep:
    Recently i overheard a few people talking about food and they were talking about the general area of vegetarians, meat, fish, protein etc and all that.

Someone however said this " I'm a Pescatarian and i never understood ppl who say they're vegetarian but they still each fish "

Now this interests me.

The definition of meat from google is
    the flesh of an animal

However strictly speaking fish don't have flesh.
    So what constitutes as meat then?
    Many will disagree if i said that fish is a vegetable. If fish is neither meat or vegetable what is it then?

The other point is why do some vegetarians eat fish then call themselves vegetarians? Surely a better title would be Pescatarian?

Google's definition of a vegetarian is
    a person who does not eat meat or fish, and sometimes other animal products
    :facepalm: :facepalm:

Of course fish have flesh, they don't grow on trees do they?

Fish is meat as it is the body of an animal

Which idiots voted no? They clearly failed biology

ReputationRep:
    Fish is....fish

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    :facepalm: :facepalm:

Of course fish have flesh, they don't grow on trees do they?

Fish is meat as it is the body of an animal

Which idiots voted no? They clearly failed biology
    umm the question was are vegetarians truly vegetarians if they eat fish? Thus if you say yes you are supporting that if "vegetarians" eat fish then they're still vegetarians, don't tell me you voted for he wrong thing? xD

if you vote no you say "vegetarians" who eat fish aren't actually "vegetarians" they're Pescatarians

ReputationRep:
    umm the question was are vegetarians truly vegetarians if they eat fish? Thus if you say yes you are supporting that if "vegetarians" eat fish then they're still vegetarians, don't tell me you voted for he wrong thing? xD

if you vote no you say "vegetarians" who eat fish aren't actually "vegetarians" they're Pescatarians
    The title of the OP is misleading, I was voting for 'is fish meat or not?' in which case the answer is obviously yes.

However, I disagree that if you are a vegetarian and eat fish you can be called truly vegetarian; I agree with you in that the correct term is pescetarian
    (P.S: I haven't had my coffee yet )

ReputationRep:
    Fish is meat, yes. Those who only eat fish and vegetables are called pescetarians.

There're several types of semi-vegetarians:
    Pesce (fish)
    Pollo (chicken)
    Lacto (dairy)
    Ovo (egg)
    and the list goes on with raw, fruit etc.

There are also flexitarians, whose diet MOSTLY consist of plants, but who may eat meat once in a while - or only a certain amount per week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    The title of the OP is misleading, I was voting for 'is fish meat or not?' in which case the answer is obviously yes.

However, I disagree that if you are a vegetarian and eat fish you can be called truly vegetarian; I agree with you in that the correct term is pescetarian
    (P.S: I haven't had my coffee yet )
    dam do people even read the question i put out there?
    now it's a mix >.> of people who agree and disagree with the question and thread title >.>

ReputationRep:
    all those who voted yes on this poll
    -___- no sh!t, sherlock.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spv)
    -___- no sh!t, sherlock.
    well people seem to have confused the question actually for the poll and the thread title

ReputationRep:
    i've definitely met people who insist they're vegetarian although they eat fish...
    If I insist that I am vegetarian even though I eat any type of meat, would you believe me?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.