Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Okay so I already have no friends as it is so you're probably thinking - why would you care? I accidentally let it slip to one of my "friends" that I had a girlfriend (who I love very much) and in the spur of the moment I thought it was an excellent idea to openly come out as bisexual (totally NOT a good idea) to be fair I didn't think that I'd have this type of reaction as my "friend" always seemed so anti-homophobic in the past but now she refuses to talk to me, told all of her friends who in turn told all of their friends and all of the girls treat me like I'm some sort of pervert. I'm not a monster I'm a human being with feelings. I know I should be grateful for the fact that I have my girlfriend (which I am) but she goes to a different sixth form. The thing that's bothering me is the snide comments when I'm in class or the disgusted looks I get. Has anyone ever been through this before or can think of any solutions?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Welcome Squad
    That is absolutely ridiculous. It's clear that these people are not at all worth your time, and their reactions are not normal, nor do they reflect the reactions of most. Find yourself some better friends, friends who care for you and will support you. The fact they're making snide comments just shows how immature they are and what kind of people they are. You are far better than them and don't let them get the satisfaction of making you feel upset. Don't retaliate, ignore them. They'll eventually give up and get bored. I'd also advise speaking to someone in your sixth form as behaviour like this is not acceptable.

Don't let anyone get in the way of your happiness.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    In sixth form? That's the kind of stuff you'd expect from 12 year olds, if they have supposedly been spouting anti homophobic messages, they're probably just trying to be 'trendy' or something, definitely not worth your time, they're perverse for treating you badly. Just ignore them as best you can op, I'm sure be away from them eventually and you'll be able to meet better friends

(Original post by Blondie987)
    In sixth form? That's the kind of stuff you'd expect from 12 year olds, if they have supposedly been spouting anti homophobic messages, they're probably just trying to be 'trendy' or something, definitely not worth your time, they're the perverse for treating you badly. Just ignore them as best you can op, I'm sure be away from them eventually and you'll be able to meet better friends
    wouldn't it be 'trendy' to accept LGBTs rather than admonish them? People these days....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by homeland.lsw)
    wouldn't it be 'trendy' to accept LGBTs rather than admonish them? People these days....
    Yeah that's what I'm saying, they've probably just been saying they accept LGBT people to fit in if they are actually homophobic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Okay so I already have no friends as it is so you're probably thinking - why would you care? I accidentally let it slip to one of my "friends" that I had a girlfriend (who I love very much) and in the spur of the moment I thought it was an excellent idea to openly come out as bisexual (totally NOT a good idea) to be fair I didn't think that I'd have this type of reaction as my "friend" always seemed so anti-homophobic in the past but now she refuses to talk to me, told all of her friends who in turn told all of their friends and all of the girls treat me like I'm some sort of pervert. I'm not a monster I'm a human being with feelings. I know I should be grateful for the fact that I have my girlfriend (which I am) but she goes to a different sixth form. The thing that's bothering me is the snide comments when I'm in class or the disgusted looks I get. Has anyone ever been through this before or can think of any solutions?
    You should've have said you were gay instead. Unfortunately, bisexuals are not yet a protected group under the Global Political Correctnesss Treaty.

Yeah that's what I'm saying, they've probably just been saying they accept LGBT people to fit in if they are actually homophobic
    oh...can't read :I
    One day all the homophobic people who still think we live in the medieval period will die, leaving only progressive modern thinking people left

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by homeland.lsw)
    oh...can't read :I
    One day all the homophobic people who still think we live in the medieval period will die, leaving only progressive modern thinking people left
    Haha, I hope it becomes one of those things where kids in the future learn about homophobia and are like: "wth grandma??"

ReputationRep:
    People can obviously choose who they like and who they don't, for whatever reasons. Maybe try surrounding yourself with different people and ignoring the haters.

Haha, I hope it becomes one of those things where kids in the future learn about homophobia and are like: "wth grandma??"
    maybe the people in OP's school have a weird complex that thinks OP will go and perv on them so treat her badly...?

ReputationRep:
    What!?!?!?!?! That is soooooo not right.
    Solutions: ask them what issues they have with you being bisexual, speak to a teacher at your school maybe...??

(Original post by Changing Skies)
    That is absolutely ridiculous. It's clear that these people are not at all worth your time, and their reactions are not normal, nor do they reflect the reactions of most. Find yourself some better friends, friends who care for you and will support you. The fact they're making snide comments just shows how immature they are and what kind of people they are. You are far better than them and don't let them get the satisfaction of making you feel upset. Don't retaliate, ignore them. They'll eventually give up and get bored. I'd also advise speaking to someone in your sixth form as behaviour like this is not acceptable.

Don't let anyone get in the way of your happiness.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm going to talk to my tutor about it - it's just that it's quite hard to talk about. You're right, they're not worth my time.

Your advice is invaluable - thanks x

In sixth form? That's the kind of stuff you'd expect from 12 year olds, if they have supposedly been spouting anti homophobic messages, they're probably just trying to be 'trendy' or something, definitely not worth your time, they're perverse for treating you badly. Just ignore them as best you can op, I'm sure be away from them eventually and you'll be able to meet better friends
    Exactly what I was thinking! You'd have thought they would have outgrown such behaviour as some of them are 18 already. My sister had a bunch of girls bullying her last year because her shoes were from shoe zone and weren't designer. It's all so immature!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 24, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.