Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by economicss)
    Please can anyone explain question 17b here https://1cb7ab25ef4ef909bacd98c7d41a...ZuaGc/REV2.pdf I don't understand how one of the states for October can be 3 because in September none of the destinations are 3 so surely it wouldn't be possible to have 3 in stock at the start of October? Thanks
    Can anyone help please?
    i dont know, you just do it, i made the same mistake

my guess is that you wouldnt know that 3 would be impossible when you do october as you work backwards and havent considered september yet

ReputationRep:
    June 2010 question 4c?

https://3cb8366df74746bcd8eec8f4a703...%20Edexcel.pdf

ReputationRep:
    Hoping a simple graphical DP problem will come up tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    divide your total annual cost by how many arcs you have in your route i think
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Good luck tomorrow :rave:

ReputationRep:
    It it just the total of your path divided by 4? Like each value that you've allocated for each year added up and divided by the years so the average cost per year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fpmaniac)
    Hoping a simple graphical DP problem will come up tomorrow
    everytime i do a dp i write above the different things like state stage etc what they mean.

for example, i might right in the action box (how many units i am building)
    and the destination box (how many units i have left)
    and the state box (how many units i start with)

depending on the context of course

also do your numbers in the value cost in a logical order. for example, do for example income first, then take away the cost, then it becoems a lot easier to chekc after you have done if the numbers all line up in a column

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KloppOClock)
    divide your total annual cost by how many arcs you have in your route i think
    (Original post by lordyP)
    It it just the total of your path divided by 4? Like each value that you've allocated for each year added up and divided by the years so the average cost per year
    I dont know what they've done in the MS

ReputationRep:
    i dont know, you just do it, i made the same mistake

my guess is that you wouldnt know that 3 would be impossible when you do october as you work backwards and havent considered september yet
    Thanks, yeah I'm so confused by it I think the MS must be wrong?!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, yeah I'm so confused by it I think the MS must be wrong?!
    try and find examiner notes for that paper and see what they put for that question

ReputationRep:

for example, i might right in the action box (how many units i am building)
    and the destination box (how many units i have left)
    and the state box (how many units i start with)

That style seems common in a lot of questions. I might just memorise it

ReputationRep:
    try and find examiner notes for that paper and see what they put for that question
    I'm not sure what paper it's from because it's in the review exercise, so annoying, it's really bugging me!

ReputationRep:
    I dont know what they've done in the MS

your route you found is SAEHT

look at all the costs of each part of that route

SA - 37
    AE - 38
    EH - 34
    HT - 21

that is the total cost they are paying, it adds up to 130.

if there are 4 different things that they are paying for, on average, they are paying 130/4 for each arc (the mean cost)

ReputationRep:
    That style seems common in a lot of questions. I might just memorise it
    i also find it easier to write notes on what the question is before im asking

write at the side, what are all the costs/distances you need to consider

that way you will be sure you dont miss any if you go through it like a check list for each part

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure what paper it's from because it's in the review exercise, so annoying, it's really bugging me!
    this exact same situation came up in the 2014 paper, check the mark scheme and examiner report on that.

ReputationRep:
    June 2003?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mxixbl)
    June 2003?
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Do you think they could give us 4 different products for questions like number 8 here https://3cb8366df74746bcd8eec8f4a703...%20Edexcel.pdf would we have to do the dynamic programming differently? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    With DP, would you get penalised for doing your states the opposite way round to the mark scheme? -for example, if the context is number of machines in storage already, is it ok to do it in the order 0 then 1 then 2 or should it be 2 then 1 then 0 (as the eg in the mark scheme shows). Or is there a rule on the order states should be done in?

ReputationRep:
    Do you think they could give us 4 different products for questions like number 8 here https://3cb8366df74746bcd8eec8f4a703...%20Edexcel.pdf would we have to do the dynamic programming differently? Thanks
    well seen as that question is from an actual exam paper... yes

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.