Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I've changed my mind on my university choice, is it too late? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've received all my offers from the 5 universities I've applied to (3 conditional, 2 unconditional). However, I've been a bit stupid and now want to go elsewhere, a completely different uni. Is it too late to apply there or do I have to wait until clearing?

I saw in another post I could decline all 5 offers and go through UCAS extra, but wouldn't that be a bit risky if I didn't get into the new university I want to go to?

ReputationRep:
    You could go through Extra for sure. But make sure this program is available at your uni by checking the UCAS database and even emailing said uni to confirm.

And yes, of course its risky. Considering your different PS and stuff.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Contact the uni concerned first to see what they think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HLT96)
    I've received all my offers from the 5 universities I've applied to (3 conditional, 2 unconditional). However, I've been a bit stupid and now want to go elsewhere, a completely different uni. Is it too late to apply there or do I have to wait until clearing?

I saw in another post I could decline all 5 offers and go through UCAS extra, but wouldn't that be a bit risky if I didn't get into the new university I want to go to?
    The best thing to do if you don't want to decline all your offers via extra is...

Call the university/individual uni department you really want to go to FIRST

Explain to them that you're thinking of declining your offers to put them as an extra choice (even if ur not gonna) , tell them what grades you have etc. And see whether they will accept you or not...or whether they stil have spaces on the programme.

Now depending on what they say ,you can then go from there.

If they do say yes we can accept you...think carefully before you decline all ur offers,because i dont know whether you can get an insurance choice with extra ...

If you still think its risky to go through extra you can wait for clearing....but there is a slim chance your course and uni will be there but it might be there at the same time...you may have to be quick

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HLT96)

What's made you change your mind? This is a high-risk strategy you're proposing.

Is it the subject or the unis you don't like and what do you think can improve by trying again?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HLT96)

If you truly think that you've 100% made a mistake, and definitely don't want to go to any of the universities you originally applied to, and know with your heart that you want to go to the other university - go for it. It's better than being miserable for 3+ years and wondering 'what if'. I know of a few people who have successfully been through Extra. and if you are unsuccessful in Extra, Clearing is still there for you come August.

HOWEVER, think first about why you applied to those universities in the first place. What made you choose them over the one you want now? Are you sure this isn't just a rash decision? Is it the course you don't like, or just the universities?

Whatever you decide, Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HLT96)
    Maybe some one can say if you have to decline all 5?

Can't you just decline 2 or 3 then add 2 or 3 in Track?

How does extra work?

And what about tuition fees. When is the closing date?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by flux capacitor)
    Maybe some one can say if you have to decline all 5?

Can't you just decline 2 or 3 then add 2 or 3 in Track?

How does extra work?

And what about tuition fees. When is the closing date?
    Are you asking for yourself or for the OP?

To enter Extra you cannot hold any other offers. So any offers received have to be declined. The ucas website and tsr explain how extra works. See the stickied extra faq thread in the Applications and UCAS forum.

How you apply has no relevance to tuition fees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Are you asking for yourself or for the OP?

To enter Extra you cannot hold any other offers. So any offers received have to be declined. The ucas website and tsr explain how extra works. See the stickied extra faq thread in the Applications and UCAS forum.

How you apply has no relevance to tuition fees.
    for the op - having to decline all 5 is risky. had they only entered 4 it says you can add 1 using track. so why don't they let u decline just 1 and add one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flux capacitor)
    for the op - having to decline all 5 is risky. had they only entered 4 it says you can add 1 using track. so why don't they let u decline just 1 and add one?
    Because more people would change their minds and mess universities around if they could replace choices so easily. Unis need solid data to make calculations from regarding applications/offers/places, and the possibility for people to switch choices mid-application would screw these up :-) Extra is reserved for people with very genuine changes of mind (for example this situation, or in the event of receiving no offers of course), and UCAS wants to see that you are so committed to this that you will decline all of your offers for it x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aquaxo)
    Because more people would change their minds and mess universities around
    mmmm - I see. Thanks for the answer.

OP needs to give more details like what/where are you thinking of switching to?

ReputationRep:
    A FAR better option than Extra if you having cold-feet about subject choice and/or maybe 'going to Uni' at all, is to drop your UCAS application for this year and reapply in the autumn for 2017 entry.

1) You'll have known grades - much easier to target Uni/courses who will be interested in you.
    2) You can rewrite your PS for the subject you really want to study.
    3) You will have the full range of Unis/courses available to you - not just those in Extra.
    4) You'll have had time to think about what you want to do and why you want to do it.
    5) You can do the rest of your revision and exams in total calm.
    6) You can work, do some travel and be a more confident person by the time you go to Uni.

ReputationRep:
    I decided that I didn't like any of the unis I had applied for - and wanted to go to another one which wasn't on my UCAS list!!! So I contacted another uni, risked it and managed to get onto a course through clearing. It is risky, but DO NOT go to a uni you don't like - you may as well wait for next year to apply if you don't get through clearing (which im sure you will). You will be at uni for 3 years of your life, make sure you like it, after all the money you are spending, it needs to be the perfect one for you! So go through clearing for the uni you love, if you are unfortunate, try again in a year

ReputationRep:
    What were the universities

ReputationRep:
    If all else fails, you could take a gap year and apply then.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a similar situation, I've accepted an offer for pharmacy at Aston University but now I'm having doubts and heard about scholarships to do with accounts and finance. I feel like this will be a better field for me but is it too late? If I was to apply for a scholarship what would happen to my pharmacy offers?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.