Turn on thread page Beta

UK, man arrested for confronting random Muslim in the street, Croydon watch

ReputationRep:
    A stupid tweet, but an even stupider response by the police.

There are rapes, burglaries, murders, assaults, organized crime, modern day slavery, drug dealers and people traffickers that they "lack the funds" to pursue. But they can go after a random guy who tweeted one thing?

Pathetic. This is exactly the reason why it's so easy for terrorists to bomb this country.

ReputationRep:
    Not going to read all the posts yet but why is he arrested yet when people have many times in the past harassed me on street calling me ugly, freak, fat, chased me down street or made "mong" sounds whilst slapping their wrists why do they get away with it despite insulting me based on something out of my control that made me different (I am autistic)

Is it because I am a white male?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Why did the man have to confront her?
    confrontkənˈfrʌnt/verbverb: confront; 3rd person present: confronts; past tense: confronted; past participle: confronted; gerund or present participle: confronting
    1. come face to face with (someone) with hostile or argumentative intent.
    Why did he have to say mealy mouthed

He was obviously trying to shify some sort of responsibiliy on this woman because she was a muslim. It was an offensive and aggressive thing to do. It was also stupid.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    If that's actually what happened, fine. Freedom of Speech is not the freedom to harass or abuse.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Ryouga)
    Not going to read all the posts yet but why is he arrested yet when people have many times in the past harassed me on street calling me ugly, freak, fat, chased me down street or made "mong" sounds whilst slapping their wrists why do they get away with it despite insulting me based on something out of my control that made me different (I am autistic)

Did you report them? Were you or the police able to trace them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    He had no right to approach her in that way. It was also completely dumb. You might excuse it bit a lot of people would be offended at being approached in such a manner. It looks like incitement to racial hatred or some of the other tweets he has made, but its not clear yet.

Quite why you think its acceptable is mystifying.
    He didn't say it's acceptable, he said that the fella shouldn't have been arrested, which I too agree with

ReputationRep:
    What vile, uncouth behaviour. Hopefully his arrest will give him a short sharp shock and teach him to apply manners and basic respect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    If that's actually what happened, fine. Freedom of Speech is not the freedom to harass or abuse.
    Why should someone be arrested cause they said something hurtful. As long as it's non threatening, people should be allowed to say whatever they want regardless of how stupid it is
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    For anyone wanting some links to the story you cna read these and make your own mind up

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...-Brussels.html
    http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entr...b0f4c81e86fc5a
    http://www.standard.co.uk/news/londo...-a3210126.html
    http://www.thejournal.ie/muslim-woma...76642-Mar2016/

ReputationRep:
    It's disappointing to see the PC Police more critical of the responses to the bombings rather than the bombings themselves.

ReputationRep:

Because the police aren't telepathic.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by kieran12321LFC)
    Why should someone be arrested cause they said something hurtful. As long as it's non threatening, people should be allowed to say whatever they want regardless of how stupid it is
    Maybe because its illegal to harass people based on religious grounds.
    What gives him the right to confront people?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by NeoconZionist)
    It's disappointing to see the PC Police more critical of the responses to the bombings rather than the bombings themselves.
    Complete rubbish. this country and its citizens have roundly condemned the terrorist offences. It still doesnt justify this mans behaviour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlwaysWatching)

There are rapes, burglaries, murders, assaults, organized crime, modern day slavery, drug dealers and people traffickers that they "lack the funds" to pursue. But they can go after a random guy who tweeted one thing?
    This is a good point/couple of points.

ReputationRep:
    Did you report them? Were you or the police able to trace them?
    Some yes but was laughed at and/or told to stop wasting police time.

Even when I was 16 and mugged by a group of teenagers and lived 7 miles from town and missed last bus home to report it(and this was time of year it was dark around 4pm and imagine walking country roads with no streetlights so pitch black) police literally sighed at me because I told them it was hard to remember all their faces, and when I asked them to phone parents and tell them about it so they can give me lift they just told them I "missed the bus" so my dad thought he would teach me a lesson and get me to walk but when he found out I was mugged he said he would of given me a lift, and was straight on phone to the police who just went "well he said he didn't want to take it further (lies) as he couldnt identify muggers"

Luckily I managed to get back some of my cash as caught the boys when one of their cousins was there who told them to give me money back, I got back about £6 out of £60(was only a hour after they mugged me) went round to local taxi office and said I only had £6 how far can that get me and was told 3 miles! So even they who were told of my situation and seeing me with cuts decided to rip me off as I found out after other local companies would of charged me £5 to go thte whole 7 miles! Shows how scummy people can be.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe because its illegal to harass people based on religious grounds.
    What gives him the right to confront people?
    I'm not saying I agree with the bloke, quite the opposite in fact, but I don't think it's the place of the law to enforce moral behaviour that causes no direct harm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlwaysWatching)

Pathetic. This is exactly the reason why it's so easy for terrorists to bomb this country.
    Er, what?

Yes, I'm sure the police personally set aside reports of rapes, burglaries, murders, etc, in order to deal with this. Because police cannot possibly deal with crime which isn't on the extreme end, ever.

Or maybe, y'know, they have time to deal with multiple things at once at various levels of serverity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NeoconZionist)
    This was in Croydon.

The bombings were in Belgium.

??????

ReputationRep:
    You cnan just wait and see what the police and CPS decide to proceed with. It was offensive and idiotic in light of current events. he has the right to free speech but he doesnt have the right to harass her.

Btw this was the story

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-35888748
    He had no right to approach her in that way. It was also completely dumb. You might excuse it bit a lot of people would be offended at being approached in such a manner. It looks like incitement to racial hatred or some of the other tweets he has made, but its not clear yet.

Quite why you think its acceptable is mystifying.
    I never said it was acceptable, it was a social faux pas. Poor social etiquette shouldn't be, and currently isn't, a public order offense. Again, based on what we know he wasn't harassing her.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Some yes but was laughed at and/or told to stop wasting police time.

Even when I was 16 and mugged by a group of teenagers and lived 7 miles from town and missed last bus home to report it(and this was time of year it was dark around 4pm and imagine walking country roads with no streetlights so pitch black) police literally sighed at me because I told them it was hard to remember all their faces, and when I asked them to phone parents and tell them about it so they can give me lift they just told them I "missed the bus" so my dad thought he would teach me a lesson and get me to walk but when he found out I was mugged he said he would of given me a lift, and was straight on phone to the police who just went "well he said he didn't want to take it further (lies) as he couldnt identify muggers"

Luckily I managed to get back some of my cash as caught the boys when one of their cousins was there who told them to give me money back, I got back about £6 out of £60(was only a hour after they mugged me) went round to local taxi office and said I only had £6 how far can that get me and was told 3 miles! So even they who were told of my situation and seeing me with cuts decided to rip me off as I found out after other local companies would of charged me £5 to go thte whole 7 miles! Shows how scummy people can be.
    Well that sounds as though you couldnt identify them and would have veen difficult to prove whereas in this case the man identifed himself and his actions.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.