Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

UK, man arrested for confronting random Muslim in the street, Croydon watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Well that sounds as though you couldnt identify them and would have veen difficult to prove whereas in this case the man identifed himself and his actions.
    I couldn't outright identify them but if they were together I could due to things like mannerisms, I mean when I saw them literally minutes after I left the station I recognised them and even said to police officers I wasn't totally sure if I could identify them but was willing to try and they lied and said I couldn't then told my father I missed bus not that I was mugged.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by kieran12321LFC)
    I'm not saying I agree with the bloke, quite the opposite in fact, but I don't think it's the place of the law to enforce moral behaviour that causes no direct harm
    We will have to wait to see what he is charged with but theres the woman herself we dont know how she felt about it and then theres the larger muslim community, which already feels under siege.

He can think what he like, but he has to be responsible what hes posting on social media becayse he has a large audience.

Yo me he looks like hes blaming all muslims for the Belgian bomb, which is the equivalent of blaming all Christians for whatever a single one of them does.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SHallowvale)
    Er, what?

Yes, I'm sure the police personally set aside reports of rapes, burglaries, murders, etc, in order to deal with this. Because police cannot possibly deal with crime which isn't on the extreme end, ever.

Or maybe, y'know, they have time to deal with multiple things at once at various levels of serverity.
    Burglaries don't get responded to unless it is in progress, and there are hundreds of rapes and sexual assaults that do not get followed up simply because there is no evidence on the basis that they did not respond till several weeks after it occurred so much evidence has gone, and what they did collect was not enough to get a prosecution. There are also thousands of people in this country that are being trafficked, and drugs related crime is on the rise again.

But they have the time to respond to this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HanSoloLuck)
    The priorities of the establishment seems focused on protecting certain people from words, instead of say, protecting prepubescent girls from being sexually assaulted by gangs of Muslim immigrants. It feels like the UK gradually changing into one of those ME countries.
    This is a ludicrously one-dimensional view of the problem.

ReputationRep:
    We will have to wait to see what he is charged with but theres the woman herself we dont know how she felt about it and then theres the larger muslim community, which already feels under siege.

He can think what he like, but he has to be responsible what hes posting on social media becayse he has a large audience.

Yo me he looks like hes blaming all muslims for the Belgian bomb, which is the equivalent of blaming all Christians for whatever a single one of them does.
    I have no doubt that he is blaming all Muslims and I think he's an idiot for thinking that, but I don't think it should be the place of the law to condemn him for saying something stupid
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by AlwaysWatching)
    Burglaries don't get responded to unless it is in progress, and there are hundreds of rapes and sexual assaults that do not get followed up simply because there is no evidence on the basis that they did not respond till several weeks after it occurred so much evidence has gone, and what they did collect was not enough to get a prosecution. There are also thousands of people in this country that are being trafficked, and drugs related crime is on the rise again.

This is different becayse the man has posted it on twitter to tell us all what he did and thousands of people have seen it and responded if you look at the articles.

ReputationRep:
    From your post its clearly evident you have a thing against muslims.
    The guy had no right to harass the woman. End of story.
    And yes anyone who sexually harasses women should also be arrested, but labelling all of them to be only muslim immigrants is pretty narrow minded

ReputationRep:
    made a thread on him yesterday

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3969983

If you go to his Twitter he was calling Muslims "towelheads"

https://twitter.com/MatthewDoyle31/with_replies

he also told people to suck his **** on his company page :rofl:

https://www.facebook.com/Grant.Doyle...tes/?ref=br_rs
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Ryouga)
    I couldn't outright identify them but if they were together I could due to things like mannerisms, I mean when I saw them literally minutes after I left the station I recognised them and even said to police officers I wasn't totally sure if I could identify them but was willing to try and they lied and said I couldn't then told my father I missed bus not that I was mugged.
    What im pointing out is that in this situation the man has identified himself so the police dont have the difficulties they might have had with your situation. perhaps it was before social media.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    I have no doubt that he is blaming all Muslims and I think he's an idiot for thinking that, but I don't think it should be the place of the law to condemn him for saying something stupid
    Well that law exists. I dont think you should be able to cite hate speech against other religions with the intention of causing trouble, just like you arent allowed to incite generally.

thats how you get mobs.

ReputationRep:

Yes?

Why shouldn't they? The police in Croydon, at that given time, may not have been full to the brim with serious crime that they could have done something about.

ReputationRep:
    Yes?

Why shouldn't they? The police in Croydon, at that given time, may not have been full to the brim with serious crime that they could have done something about.
    In Croydon...

So you are saying that in the days following a major terrorist attack, in an area that has high crime rate, the worst thing that was happening was a man tweeting about asking a question that may have been deemed offensive but there has been no complaint? Right.

ReputationRep:
    He deserved to be arrested, he harassed a woman in the street, no excuses.

ReputationRep:
    Well that law exists. I dont think you should be able to cite hate speech against other religions with the intention of causing trouble, just like you arent allowed to incite generally.

thats how you get mobs.
    Why should religion be free from criticism? An atheist might say that Islam is just a made up fairytale, would that that be considered hate speech as it strongly opposes religion?

ReputationRep:
    In Croydon...
    Yes.

I'm not saying there isn't serious crime going on, I'm saying that the police can look into both at the same time. It isn't impossible.

ReputationRep:
    So you are saying that in the days following a major terrorist attack, in an area that has high crime rate, the worst thing that was happening was a man tweeting about asking a question that may have been deemed offensive but there has been no complaint? Right.
    No, I didn't say that.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

I'm not saying there isn't serious crime going on, I'm saying that the police can look into both at the same time. It isn't impossible.
    So you are saying that in the days following a major terrorist attack in a neighbouring country, in an area that has high crime rate, the worst thing that was happening was a man tweeting about asking a question that may have been deemed offensive but there has been no complaint? Instead of putting more officers on the ground to guard shopping districts, schools, places of worship, they decide to send a couple of officers to arrest a man who sent an offensive tweet and spend the 4-5 hours processing him. Right. Very sensible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mkap)
    yes well it was harassment...
    not it wasn't...

instead of going after people using freedom of speech lock up the grooming gangs in rotherham and Birminghamstan
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Why should religion be free from criticism? An atheist might say that Islam is just a made up fairytale, would that that be considered hate speech as it strongly opposes religion?
    I never said it had to be free from criticism and thats not illegal. It crosses the line where you are inciting others with hate speech. If you think incitements ok then fine.

ReputationRep:
    No, I didn't say that.
    No, that is exactly what you are implying.

They haven't even arrested him with a charge than an pin on him. Racial hatred wont stand up in court, since there as been no complaint, no evidence that this was done on the basis of race and no evidence that Muslim is a race. (although harassment might).

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.