Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I've been unsure about whether to take the GDL or graduate LLB, but I have decided that if I can get into a grad LLB this late I will pick it over the GDL.

I am a little worried about financing the LLB. I'm pretty sure I won't be able to get funding from SF because their scheme seems to cover masters only. I've looked at the funding pages for the unis I am applying to, but most direct me to bank loans or scholarships. This may seem like a bit of a sheltered question, but would I be able to get a bank loan? I've never used a credit card so I'm pretty sure my credit is non-existant? I've also read about career development loans of up to 10k, but again I'm not sure if I would be able to get one of these with no credit?

I work part-time so 10k to cover the fees would be fine, with work paying for accommodation and cost of living.

Any ideas appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neptuner)
    Hello,

I've been unsure about whether to take the GDL or graduate LLB, but I have decided that if I can get into a grad LLB this late I will pick it over the GDL.

I am a little worried about financing the LLB. I'm pretty sure I won't be able to get funding from SF because their scheme seems to cover masters only. I've looked at the funding pages for the unis I am applying to, but most direct me to bank loans or scholarships. This may seem like a bit of a sheltered question, but would I be able to get a bank loan? I've never used a credit card so I'm pretty sure my credit is non-existant? I've also read about career development loans of up to 10k, but again I'm not sure if I would be able to get one of these with no credit?

I work part-time so 10k to cover the fees would be fine, with work paying for accommodation and cost of living.

Any ideas appreciated!
    Afraid your only option is to work and save up.
    The Career Development Loan is only for courses 2 years or less and that lead directly to a career, as you'd need further study to qualify as a solicitor or barrister.
    You'd also find that aside from the CDL, banks don't lend to students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    Afraid your only option is to work and save up.
    The Career Development Loan is only for courses 2 years or less and that lead directly to a career, as you'd need further study to qualify as a solicitor or barrister.
    You'd also find that aside from the CDL, banks don't lend to students.
    Thank you for the info! I didn't realise to qualify for the CDL it needs to be a qualification leading directly to a career. I think you're right about my only real option being to save up which is a shame... I'll guess I'll rethink my options and worst case apply for 2017.

Edit: I am looking again at GDL courses. The UoL claims that 95% of those who apply to their scheme with Metro bank receive a loan from them. The representative APR is 7.2%. Would rather take an LLB as I eventually may wish to work in Canada, but I guess this is an option.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neptuner)
    Thank you for the info! I didn't realise to qualify for the CDL it needs to be a qualification leading directly to a career. I think you're right about my only real option being to save up which is a shame... I'll guess I'll rethink my options and worst case apply for 2017.

Edit: I am looking again at GDL courses. The UoL claims that 95% of those who apply to their scheme with Metro bank receive a loan from them. The representative APR is 7.2%. Would rather take an LLB as I eventually may wish to work in Canada, but I guess this is an option.
    I think that's partly because they require repayments shortly after you've finished. You also need to be planning to work in the UK/EU after you've finished.

Yeah I'd forgotten about the UoL/Metro Bank tie in, that one doesn't look too bad, although I think its pretty unique to the UoL. Be wary of private finance providers though. I've just looked on BPP's website and they advertise a tie in with Future Finance, however you have to make repayments during your studies and the interest rate is terrible- take out £8,300 and you pay back £14,849.16.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.