Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My phone contract renewed in February, and EE upgraded me from an iPhone 5c to a 5s for free.

As I wasn't really keeping up to date with Apple releases, I didn't realise that they are releasing a new phone to replace the 5s.

The Apple recycle scheme gave me a quote of £100 for trading in my 5c, and another £135 for my 5s.

Is it worth trading them both in and getting an SE?

My main reason for doing that is because I am planning to keep my current phone for at least 3 years. I thought an SE would be better to invest in for longevity, especially as I would have to get a 64GB model as they don't have the SE in 32GB.

With the two apple gift vouchers, I can get £235 off the value of a new phone, making a 64GB SE cost me £204.

Is being £204 out of pocket worth the benefits of an iPhone SE?

Well from what I've seen from the iPhone SE it is much faster than the iPhone 5s and I think it has a better quality camera. However I don't know whether you want that from a phone. It is a small phone (4 inches) so maybe not the best for watching videos, gaming etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by homeland.lsw)
    Well from what I've seen from the iPhone SE it is much faster than the iPhone 5s and I think it has a better quality camera. However I don't know whether you want that from a phone. It is a small phone (4 inches) so maybe not the best for watching videos, gaming etc.
    Good camera is always a bonus as I don't use anything else for photos. The 5s is also 4 inches so I'm used to the small size... I have an iPad anyway so I'm not too interested in getting a phablet-type phone.

(Original post by Bezoar)
    Good camera is always a bonus as I don't use anything else for photos. The 5s is also 4 inches so I'm used to the small size... I have an iPad anyway so I'm not too interested in getting a phablet-type phone.
    Then why not? According to Apple's website, the SE is the same in terms of processing as the 6s so why not buy it instead of forking out for a 6s.
    It also comes in gold and rose gold so you can have a nice snazzy phone colour lol!

I take it android is out of the question?

ReputationRep:
    Then why not? According to Apple's website, the SE is the same in terms of processing as the 6s so why not buy it instead of forking out for a 6s.
    It also comes in gold and rose gold so you can have a nice snazzy phone colour lol!

I take it android is out of the question?
    You think it's worth the £204? Bearing in mind I am a poor student with a 5s that works perfectly fine. I wasn't planning on buying the 6s - it's either the SE, or nothing until this contract renews and I get upgraded again.

I'd rather not have android on the basis that I use iMessage extensively to keep in contact with my friends and family and I've also grown accustomed to iOS since I've used it for 3 years now. Previous androids I have owned have been a lot more glitchy, too.

You think it's worth the £204? Bearing in mind I am a poor student with a 5s that works perfectly fine. I wasn't planning on buying the 6s - it's either the SE, or nothing until this contract renews and I get upgraded again.

I'd rather not have android on the basis that I use iMessage extensively to keep in contact with my friends and family and I've also grown accustomed to iOS since I've used it for 3 years now. Previous androids I have owned have been a lot more glitchy, too.
    iMessage is a lifesaver for the PAYG person like me ^_^
    In hindsight...I guess the £204 isn't worth it, especially since the SE is a glorified 5/5s
    Stick with the 5s and wait for an upgrade, but what you will be upgraded to interests me!

ReputationRep:
    iMessage is a lifesaver for the PAYG person like me ^_^
    In hindsight...I guess the £204 isn't worth it, especially since the SE is a glorified 5/5s
    Stick with the 5s and wait for an upgrade, but what you will be upgraded to interests me!
    I won't be upgraded until 2018 though...

I won't be upgraded until 2018 though...
    hmm well an iPhone 5s is getting a bit dated already...
    How about wait until next year and buy a 6s?

ReputationRep:

Depends whether you think it's worth spending £200 for a better camera and Apple Pay, personally if I had a brand new 5s right now I'd just stick to it. My 5 still works fine and the 5s should still have a decent couple of years support ahead, especially since Apple aren't pulling the plug on the 4 inch screen.

Also, the price of the SE will probably fall in a few months after this years main release, so you could upgrade then for less if you want.

ReputationRep:
    Is being £204 out of pocket worth the benefits of an iPhone SE?
    If longevity is a big factor then it is absolutely worth buying the SE. The SE is essentially an iPhone 6S crammed into a 5S body (minus a few bits like 3D Touch), so it's bang up to date internally. On the other hand the 5S is now two generations behind this point and potentially has only a year left of full iOS support, going by previous support cycles. It may not blow you away with new features as we're in a very iterative stage in the smartphone industry as design matures and innovation slows, but if you want to get several years of use out of a phone then it's best not to start with hardware that's several years old already.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.