Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hi

im currently am in year 12 and I am looking to apply to Bournemouth next year so 2017 entry I want to take part in sociology degree but im wondering about living expenses etc.

I know the prices for accommodation but I am wondering much weekly food will cost , what supermarkets etc and how easy is it to get a job in order to support myself also what gym facilities, sport clubs etc are available I enjoy netball so is there a netball club there at the uni

thanks all for ur replys

ReputationRep:
    HiSoph,

I'm a 3rdyear student at BU, currently on placement with uni.
    I think itall depend on the person you are. If you cook yourself of course you will spendless money but if you decide to get take away every night it might be a bitpricey.
    I normallycook myself with occasional dinner out. I normally spend on average £15 a weekon food depending on what I make and where I shop. That’s just for food.

We have a range of stores in Bournemouth, students tend to shop at ASDA, Lidl,Aldi as they are the cheapest. In your first year you will be most likelyshopping at ASDA as it’s the closest store. In the second/final year most of usshop at Lidl as it’s local to most of us.

It might be a good idea to start looking at what you like and how much thosethings are, just to get an idea of how much you might be spending once you moveaway from home.

Another thingyou could try is cooking for your whole family on Saturdays. That’s what mybrother did before he went to uni. It doesn’t have to be anything difficult.Think of easy things like homemade pizza, spaghetti etc.
    In terms ofthe gym – we actually have gym on campus. It’s around £180 for a year membership.I’ve been a member since my 1st year. They have plenty of classes tochoose from too.
    We have anetball team too and you can choose between being a part of a social team orcomplete for uni. The choice is yours.

In terms of jobs - Bournemouth is a seaside town with lots of shops andrestaurants so it shouldn’t be too difficult to find a part time job forweekends. I have never looked for an extra job. I’ve been student ambassador inthe first two years and that was the only job so far I had whilst at uni.

I’m sorry forthe essay but I hope it makes sense. Let me know if there’s anything else youwould like to know.

Agata

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soph1el0u1se)
    hi

im currently am in year 12 and I am looking to apply to Bournemouth next year so 2017 entry I want to take part in sociology degree but im wondering about living expenses etc.

I know the prices for accommodation but I am wondering much weekly food will cost , what supermarkets etc and how easy is it to get a job in order to support myself also what gym facilities, sport clubs etc are available I enjoy netball so is there a netball club there at the uni

thanks all for ur replys
    Hi Soph1,

It may be worth checking out this blog wirrten by a student about budgeting:
    https://microsites.bournemouth.ac.uk...omics-student/

Also if you think you may want to get a job, this one could be useful:
    https://microsites.bournemouth.ac.uk...-to-get-a-job/

Hope this helps!
    Gemma (Student Ambassador)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soph1el0u1se)
    hi

thanks all for ur replys
    Hi soph

My name is Amy and I am a third year (and student ambassador) at BU. Sorry I am a bit late to the party, but I hope I can help out!

WEEKLY BOX
    I keep this account with £100 in. This is the account to where my card is linked. This money I use for food and anything else I want that week.

FOOD SHOPPING:
    I live across the road from aldi so I can go a shop when I need food.Do not be afraid to shop in the cheaper places. I would be careful but you can eat just fine from places like aldi (I can get about 4 shopping bags stuffed full of food for £25! go to more expensive shops and I can spend that amount of money and not fill up one shopping bag!)

When you go food shopping I would suggest writing a shopping list. It is far to easy to get distracted and buy food on a whim. Be open to trying new things, but just key an eye on it.

JOBS:
    The uni offers lots of different jobs. They pay really well (I would know!) and the hours are great to fit around your studies. Worth looking into. Otherwise there are plenty of shops and bars around, so there is work going.

SUPPORTING YOURSELF:
    IF you are getting student finance and get a job, and are careful with spending you should be fine.

Hope that helps!
    Amy

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.