Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I was wondering about how many hours of revision I should do for each subject in total.

My GCSEs are in mid May and my art exam is in mid April.

The subjects I take are:
    English (Literature & Language)
    Maths
    Double Science (Biology, Physics, Chemistry)
    French
    Geography
    History
    Art and Design

Thank You

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

As an A level student who is also doing revision now, I understand how it can be difficult to know how much time to spend on subjects. The best you can do is spend as much time as possible on them, and divide the time up equally, by making a revision plan. It is different to quantify a specific time for you to study, as some things will take longer than others, and some will have larger specifications than others. For example, it takes me about an hour to fully revise a topic in philosophy. Whereas, in psychology, it takes me five or six hours for a topic. Just spend as much time as you can, and I am sure you will be fine. I am not the most academically gifted, but I always try to put in the work, and that did result in A*'s for me on results day. Have patience too, as it is difficult, and remember to take breaks! You must let all that information sink in to have the best recall. Trust me - I have to know this for psychology, haha. Repetition is key! Find your style of learning by taking one of those quizzes, and that should give you the best chance. Like, I am an auditory learner. So, I find reading things aloud, and using flash cards, and try to 'teach' others is the best way for me to remember. Mindmaps, etc. are less effective.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clucky_chick)
    Hi!

As an A level student who is also doing revision now, I understand how it can be difficult to know how much time to spend on subjects. The best you can do is spend as much time as possible on them, and divide the time up equally, by making a revision plan. It is different to quantify a specific time for you to study, as some things will take longer than others, and some will have larger specifications than others. For example, it takes me about an hour to fully revise a topic in philosophy. Whereas, in psychology, it takes me five or six hours for a topic. Just spend as much time as you can, and I am sure you will be fine. I am not the most academically gifted, but I always try to put in the work, and that did result in A*'s for me on results day. Have patience too, as it is difficult, and remember to take breaks! You must let all that information sink in to have the best recall. Trust me - I have to know this for psychology, haha. Repetition is key! Find your style of learning by taking one of those quizzes, and that should give you the best chance. Like, I am an auditory learner. So, I find reading things aloud, and using flash cards, and try to 'teach' others is the best way for me to remember. Mindmaps, etc. are less effective.

Good luck!
    Thank you for the great tips! It's great to hear from someone who has already done their GCSEs I am most definitely not academically gifted either I get very stressed just thinking about the results I will get in the summer! Ha ha, I will go and take one of those tests now

Thank you again

Emma

(By the way I have just signed up today and this was a great first response!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmalh07)
    Hi,

I was wondering about how many hours of revision I should do for each subject in total.

The subjects I take are:
    Maths
    French
    Geography
    History
    Art and Design

Thank You
    Hey,
    I am doing my gcse's too.
    On school day's i revise for 2-3 hours
    Weekends 6-7 hours
    Easter a lot
    What is your board for English, Science and Geography ?

I do Triple Science - aqa
    Maths- Edexcel
    Statistics- Edexcel
    Geography - Edexcel
    French- Edexcel
    Psychology- Edexcel
    English Lit and Lang - WJEC

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the great tips! It's great to hear from someone who has already done their GCSEs I am most definitely not academically gifted either I get very stressed just thinking about the results I will get in the summer! Ha ha, I will go and take one of those tests now

Thank you again

Emma

(By the way I have just signed up today and this was a great first response!)
    Hi Emma

You are very welcome. Welcome to TSR! I have get really stressed too. My teachers have said that it can be concerning how stressed I get over them. I have always been quite skeptical about mindfulness, etc however, when I tried it, it is really helpful! It is definitely something to think about when getting really stressed. Trust me, you can do it! It is difficult, but you can do this, and the results will be worth it. I am awful with revising, I often cram (really inadvisable) which means I am exhausted on the day of the exam - not good! It is definitely best to start as soon as you can. Sorry if my replies are a little incoherent. I'm tired from college, haha!

You're welcome. Have a great weekend.

Chloe

ReputationRep:
    Hi Emma

You are very welcome. Welcome to TSR! I have get really stressed too. My teachers have said that it can be concerning how stressed I get over them. I have always been quite skeptical about mindfulness, etc however, when I tried it, it is really helpful! It is definitely something to think about when getting really stressed. Trust me, you can do it! It is difficult, but you can do this, and the results will be worth it. I am awful with revising, I often cram (really inadvisable) which means I am exhausted on the day of the exam - not good! It is definitely best to start as soon as you can. Sorry if my replies are a little incoherent. I'm tired from college, haha!

You're welcome. Have a great weekend.

Chloe
    Hi Chloe,

Ha ha Yes, It is stressful I can't stand to think how much you have to do for A Levels! No, ha ha your reply is fine

Thank you again and have a great weekend too

Emma

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nisha.sri)
    Hey,
    I am doing my gcse's too.
    On school day's i revise for 2-3 hours
    Weekends 6-7 hours
    Easter a lot
    What is your board for English, Science and Geography ?

I do Triple Science - aqa
    Maths- Edexcel
    Statistics- Edexcel
    Geography - Edexcel
    French- Edexcel
    Psychology- Edexcel
    English Lit and Lang - WJEC
    Hi!

Ah okay, thank you for the guidelines

For English we are with WJEC (the same as you), Science AQA ( the same as you), and Geography OCR.

Emma

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I'm in a similar boat. My history teacher gave me a planner for all revision to do for the Easter holidays, and for all subjects they want us to spend 10 hours a day, every day, revising!! That's madness, overkill! I wondered how I should split up my time, too. For GCSE, I take:

English (AQA iGCSE)
    Maths (Edexcel)
    Triple Science (OCR)
    Resistant Materials (AQA) (which we've been taught none of the theory so I have to teach it to myself!)
    French (Edexcel)
    History (Edexcel iGCSE)
    Sociology (OCR)
    Further Maths (AQA)
    ICT (Edexcel)

I really just don't know how to split my time, and how much time to spend on teaching myself technology!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jhuk510)
    Hi! I'm in a similar boat. My history teacher gave me a planner for all revision to do for the Easter holidays, and for all subjects they want us to spend 10 hours a day, every day, revising!! That's madness, overkill! I wondered how I should split up my time, too. For GCSE, I take:

English (AQA iGCSE)
    Maths (Edexcel)
    Triple Science (OCR)
    Resistant Materials (AQA) (which we've been taught none of the theory so I have to teach it to myself!)
    French (Edexcel)
    History (Edexcel iGCSE)
    Sociology (OCR)
    Further Maths (AQA)
    ICT (Edexcel)

I really just don't know how to split my time, and how much time to spend on teaching myself technology!
    Hi!

Woah! So much!

Thanks for the help

Emma

ReputationRep:
    Hi Chloe,

Ha ha Yes, It is stressful I can't stand to think how much you have to do for A Levels! No, ha ha your reply is fine

Thank you again and have a great weekend too

Emma
    Hi Emma

A levels are really subject dependent on work load, and I suppose even teacher dependent. One thing I do want to say is do not believe that whole myths that goes around like: teachers don't care / teachers wont wait for you to copy down notes / teachers don't care if you've done your homework or not / etc. That is all so untrue! I feel that they are much better teachers than what I have dealt with previously. If you don't understand something, just ask! They are willing to help. If you are really struggling, they will give you revision sessions, or you can go in one of your study/free periods and go through the work with them.

You are given e-mail addresses for them all, and you can easily send them an e-mail whenever, and they will reply ASAP. This is a little teacher dependent as well, as some are busier than others. Like I e-mailed one of my teachers when they were on a free, and I got a response in five minutes. I always e-mail another one 8am on a Saturday, and got a reply an hour later.

Yes, there will be times when you probably will feel really stressed, but they understand this, and will help you. If I am having a bad day, my tutors always make sure that I am okay, and will not expect me to contribute as much in class. They will always ease you into the work, and will not overload you with work for quite a while. You also get a personal tutor who we have been told to think as a 'college parent'. You can go up to them at anytime, and basically complain, share success, and ask for any admin changes, references, etc. They will also keep a check on your progress and attendance, and will meet with you regularly. As long as you make sure you keep up with everything, you should be fine!

You're welcome

Chloe

ReputationRep:
    Hi Emma

A levels are really subject dependent on work load, and I suppose even teacher dependent. One thing I do want to say is do not believe that whole myths that goes around like: teachers don't care / teachers wont wait for you to copy down notes / teachers don't care if you've done your homework or not / etc. That is all so untrue! I feel that they are much better teachers than what I have dealt with previously. If you don't understand something, just ask! They are willing to help. If you are really struggling, they will give you revision sessions, or you can go in one of your study/free periods and go through the work with them.

You are given e-mail addresses for them all, and you can easily send them an e-mail whenever, and they will reply ASAP. This is a little teacher dependent as well, as some are busier than others. Like I e-mailed one of my teachers when they were on a free, and I got a response in five minutes. I always e-mail another one 8am on a Saturday, and got a reply an hour later.

Yes, there will be times when you probably will feel really stressed, but they understand this, and will help you. If I am having a bad day, my tutors always make sure that I am okay, and will not expect me to contribute as much in class. They will always ease you into the work, and will not overload you with work for quite a while. You also get a personal tutor who we have been told to think as a 'college parent'. You can go up to them at anytime, and basically complain, share success, and ask for any admin changes, references, etc. They will also keep a check on your progress and attendance, and will meet with you regularly. As long as you make sure you keep up with everything, you should be fine!

You're welcome

Chloe
    Hi Chloe,

Thank you again for your detailed reply! Your information is very useful!

I will take this all on board!

Emma

ReputationRep:
    How much revision is enough depends on you as a person, someone could get the content easily in an hour while it takes you 3/4 hours to understand the content. It's also quality over quantity, it's better to be efficient and actually get work done than just doing mindless 6/7 hours a day without actually learning anything. Be smart about revision.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah

Thank you Dilzo999

Emma

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey there, i'm not a good person to take advice from whatsoever, but i didn't revise one single bit throughout my GCSE's, i let my first "love" dominate my mind and i decided there was nothing more important at the time than that relationship... And needless to say i couldn't have been more wrong, anyway i still managed 1 A*, 1 A, 5B's and the rest C's meaning i passed them all, and for that i feel absolutely blessed seeing as though in my mock exams just a few months prior to my actual exams i was getting results ranging from D's to G's (i wasn't even aware there was a G grade until i was handed my computer science mock) , and i didn't actually revise any further for my actual GCSE's being all caught up in that mess, so it's actually a miracle that i managed to pass all of my exams and get into my chosen college, i have literally no idea how that happened.

That being said, i'm not telling you "oh you don't need to revise, they're easy" because personally i believe i got an incredible stroke of luck (or they may have mixed my results with someone elses lol), but there's no doubt that if i had revised i could've achieved much better grades... So really, usually you get what you put into them, mine was a rare exception

The one thing that's worth noting is that generally, people who are able to write well, or more sophisticated are more able to "blag" their exams, as my geography teacher told me, sometimes if you lack the knowledge to answer a question your english may be enough to salvage a few marks... so if you've got a decent vocabulary then you immediately have an advantage

Imo the minimum you need is the "key words" for certain subjects, such as geography, history and perhaps the sciences, being able to implement these key words into your answers may get you some marks right off the bat, any revision material you have been handed usually includes key words on the first few pages

Just a final note, for the geography exam i was told that i was almost certainly going to fail by my teacher and i was undoubtedly the worst in the class, and for one of the 8 mark questions on volcano's on my GCSE, i completely forgot my volcano case study so i had to quickly brainstorm for any volcano incidents that i knew of, and i decided to chose pompeii, as it's the only one i could think of (also the film with jon snow from game of thrones had recently come out) , and you can tell i didn't chose history for one of my subjects as pompeii eruption occurred in 79 A.D, and i wrote about helicopters air lifting civilians out of the town and emergency services, i remember telling my friends and they all burst out laughing. Somehow i managed to get an A in that GCSE? like i said, i'm lucky BEST OF LUCK WITH YOUR EXAMS!!!!!!!
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    For a-level the teachers say 3 hours per subject a day

for GCSE you can probably do 20 minutes a day

ReputationRep:
    Revise until you know all the content.

That's it. The amount of hours you need to put in will differ wildly based on how much work you've put in at school and what you level of ability is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyx)
    For a-level the teachers say 3 hours per subject a day

for GCSE you can probably do 20 minutes a day
    So you're saying people at A-level should be spending 9-12 hours a day revising on top of college? I thought it was meant to be the time spent in lesson should be spent out of lesson revising for the average person to achive and A* or an A.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

The subjects I take are:
    Maths
    French
    Geography
    History
    Art and Design

Thank You
    A level student here, its not necessarily how much your revise but how well you revise
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    (Original post by GoingForIt)
    So you're saying people at A-level should be spending 9-12 hours a day revising on top of college? I thought it was meant to be the time spent in lesson should be spent out of lesson revising for the average person to achive and A* or an A.
    Some of my classmates complained to the teachers that it would mean getting one hour of sleep a day

The teacher said 'so get that one hour!'

ReputationRep:
    How much revision is everyone doing for A2? how many hours and for how many days are you guys revising??

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.