Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing GCSEs and about 2 hours a day?
    (Does nobody else have a Saturday job and extra curricular stuff and homework how do you all survive?!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyx)
    Some of my classmates complained to the teachers that it would mean getting one hour of sleep a day

The teacher said 'so get that one hour!'
    Hell, your teacher sounds pretty harsh! The recommended amount of revision for someone doing 3 hardcore subjects (E.g. Physics, Chemistry and unsuprisingly Psychology if you do AQA) is 2-3 hours revision a day during the college week, thats not per subject either. Your teacher sounds like the education Nazi. ;D

(Original post by emmalh07)
    Hi,

I was wondering about how many hours of revision I should do for each subject in total.

My GCSEs are in mid May and my art exam is in mid April.

The subjects I take are:
    English (Literature & Language)
    Maths
    Double Science (Biology, Physics, Chemistry)
    French
    Geography
    History
    Art and Design

Thank You
    For my GCSEs I only read through my notes once for each subject right before the exams (except maths, I didn't do any revision for that because I had already achieved a C in my foundation paper). I managed to come out of it with a full set of A*s so I would say that the amount of revision being recommended by most people here is highly excessive. I wasn't even thinking about revision so many months in advance of the exams. Clearly, it's different for AS and A levels - you really do need to revise for those.

ReputationRep:
    It is really hard to say "for this subject do X amount of hours"

It depends on your strengths and weaknesses etc.

What I like to do before i study is for each subject make a list of the topics that have to be learnt and then use the traffic light system to categorise them depending on difficulty.

there will be subjects with more 'red areas' than others and so you will then know how to balance your focus.

I use to study for 8 hours a day, which is slightly more than a normal school day and would have a 20 min break every 2 hours.

Hope this helps !

ReputationRep:
    Simple answer. ENOUGTH

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by finch334)
    Hey there, i'm not a good person to take advice from whatsoever, but i didn't revise one single bit throughout my GCSE's, i let my first "love" dominate my mind and i decided there was nothing more important at the time than that relationship... And needless to say i couldn't have been more wrong, anyway i still managed 1 A*, 1 A, 5B's and the rest C's meaning i passed them all, and for that i feel absolutely blessed seeing as though in my mock exams just a few months prior to my actual exams i was getting results ranging from D's to G's (i wasn't even aware there was a G grade until i was handed my computer science mock) , and i didn't actually revise any further for my actual GCSE's being all caught up in that mess, so it's actually a miracle that i managed to pass all of my exams and get into my chosen college, i have literally no idea how that happened.

That being said, i'm not telling you "oh you don't need to revise, they're easy" because personally i believe i got an incredible stroke of luck (or they may have mixed my results with someone elses lol), but there's no doubt that if i had revised i could've achieved much better grades... So really, usually you get what you put into them, mine was a rare exception

The one thing that's worth noting is that generally, people who are able to write well, or more sophisticated are more able to "blag" their exams, as my geography teacher told me, sometimes if you lack the knowledge to answer a question your english may be enough to salvage a few marks... so if you've got a decent vocabulary then you immediately have an advantage

Imo the minimum you need is the "key words" for certain subjects, such as geography, history and perhaps the sciences, being able to implement these key words into your answers may get you some marks right off the bat, any revision material you have been handed usually includes key words on the first few pages

Just a final note, for the geography exam i was told that i was almost certainly going to fail by my teacher and i was undoubtedly the worst in the class, and for one of the 8 mark questions on volcano's on my GCSE, i completely forgot my volcano case study so i had to quickly brainstorm for any volcano incidents that i knew of, and i decided to chose pompeii, as it's the only one i could think of (also the film with jon snow from game of thrones had recently come out) , and you can tell i didn't chose history for one of my subjects as pompeii eruption occurred in 79 A.D, and i wrote about helicopters air lifting civilians out of the town and emergency services, i remember telling my friends and they all burst out laughing. Somehow i managed to get an A in that GCSE? like i said, i'm lucky BEST OF LUCK WITH YOUR EXAMS!!!!!!!
    Hi!

Wow ah ha! You must be very talented

Thank you for the great advice and for your long message

Thank you!!!

Emma

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyx)
    For a-level the teachers say 3 hours per subject a day

for GCSE you can probably do 20 minutes a day
    Hi!

OK, thank you

Emma

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    Revise until you know all the content.

That's it. The amount of hours you need to put in will differ wildly based on how much work you've put in at school and what you level of ability is.
    Hi!

It does take me a while to understand the content
    But I'm willing to do anything to get the grades!

Thank you,

Emma

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shiv Loves Maths)
    A level student here, its not necessarily how much your revise but how well you revise
    Hi

OK, thank you

Emma

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B_Of_Tea)
    I'm doing GCSEs and about 2 hours a day?
    (Does nobody else have a Saturday job and extra curricular stuff and homework how do you all survive?!)
    Hi

I sometimes babysit on a Saturday and I am generally quite a busy person with an active lifestyle, so it's quite hard :eek: My art coursework takes up a lot of my time too! But after the easter break I have my art exam so it will be all over

Okay, thank you

Emma

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GoingForIt)
    Hell, your teacher sounds pretty harsh! The recommended amount of revision for someone doing 3 hardcore subjects (E.g. Physics, Chemistry and unsuprisingly Psychology if you do AQA) is 2-3 hours revision a day during the college week, thats not per subject either. Your teacher sounds like the education Nazi. ;D
    Hi!

Thank you

Emma

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Platopus)
    For my GCSEs I only read through my notes once for each subject right before the exams (except maths, I didn't do any revision for that because I had already achieved a C in my foundation paper). I managed to come out of it with a full set of A*s so I would say that the amount of revision being recommended by most people here is highly excessive. I wasn't even thinking about revision so many months in advance of the exams. Clearly, it's different for AS and A levels - you really do need to revise for those.
    Hi!

Ah ha, wow, that's amazing
    I think I will have to do quite a bit of work though!

Emma

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evalilyXOX)
    It is really hard to say "for this subject do X amount of hours"

It depends on your strengths and weaknesses etc.

What I like to do before i study is for each subject make a list of the topics that have to be learnt and then use the traffic light system to categorise them depending on difficulty.

there will be subjects with more 'red areas' than others and so you will then know how to balance your focus.

I use to study for 8 hours a day, which is slightly more than a normal school day and would have a 20 min break every 2 hours.

Hope this helps !
    Hi!

Thank you for the great tips

Wow, you worked hard! I hope you achieved the grades you wanted!

Emma

Hi!

Ah ha, wow, that's amazing
    I think I will have to do quite a bit of work though!

Emma
    Your choice, of course. Just don't overdo it x
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    During easter 9 hours or even more
    Don't my friends do 11 hours

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Platopus)
    Your choice, of course. Just don't overdo it x
    Ha ha, thanks x

Emma

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nisha.sri)
    During easter 9 hours or even more
    Don't my friends do 11 hours
    Is this in total? x

Emma
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Is this in total? x

Emma
    What do you mean?
    I only do 9 hours sometimes

ReputationRep:
    Is this in total? x

Emma
    some people do 9 hours a day
    some do 6 a day
    some do 3 a day
    some do 1 a day
    do what works for you and experiment
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by shilshark)
    some people do 9 hours a day
    some do 6 a day
    some do 3 a day
    some do 1 a day
    do what works for you and experiment
    How many hours do you do ?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.