Turn on thread page Beta

Why are IGCSE English Language markers so harsh? watch

ReputationRep:
    I remember last time in my December Mock the teachers sent the exams to an IGCSE English Language marker and I got a U. In my Recent mock my teachers marked it and moderated it and got a B (including my coursework).

I'm really worried that this year the markers would be really harsh since we're the last year to sit these exams.

Why do you think the markers are so harsh?

ReputationRep:
    Maybe it was that one particular marker, I'm sure not all examiners are so harsh!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Starlight15)
    I remember last time in my December Mock the teachers sent the exams to an IGCSE English Language marker and I got a U. In my Recent mock my teachers marked it and moderated it and got a B (including my coursework).

I'm really worried that this year the markers would be really harsh since we're the last year to sit these exams.

Teacher was being too generous.

ReputationRep:

Do you sit CIE? If so, that seems to be quite a common thing to be happening. The mark schemes are just really really particular. I think that in the real thing, your score should either be higher or the boundaries lower as it will be nationwide...(or at least that's what I'm hoping for!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by metellaest)
    Do you sit CIE? If so, that seems to be quite a common thing to be happening. The mark schemes are just really really particular. I think that in the real thing, your score should either be higher or the boundaries lower as it will be nationwide...(or at least that's what I'm hoping for!)

Yes, also the grade boundaries are too, my teacher told me that the difference between a D and an A is 5 mark

ReputationRep:
    Yes, also the grade boundaries are too, my teacher told me that the difference between a D and an A is 5 mark
    It's not so bad, most people at my school got either A or A* last year

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.