Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So the question is
    Intergrate Cos to the power of 3 x Dx Using the sub U = Sin X, kinda confusing this is the first type of these questions where the sub that I use isn't in the actual question, can anyone help me to get started on this?

ReputationRep:
    Find dx in terms of x and du and you should see that there is some cancellation. Then write the remaining terms in terms of u and integrate with respect to u - which at that point is just normal integration.
    If it is a definite integral you will have to change the limits, if it is an indefinite integral then you will have to change he variable in your answer to the original variable that you started with (you could also do this with indefinite integrals-but not necessary).

For this example u=six so
     du/dx = \cos x \Rightarrow dx= du/ \cos x .
    Now substitute this in for the dx. You should see that the cosx cancel leaving  \cos^2 x . You rewrite this in terms of u and then integrate normally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SunDun111)
    So the question is
    Intergrate Cos to the power of 3 x Dx Using the sub U = Sin X, kinda confusing this is the first type of these questions where the sub that I use isn't in the actual question, can anyone help me to get started on this?
    Don't worry about it: u = \sin x \Rightarrow \frac{\mathrm{d}u}{\mathrm{d}x} = \cos x \Rightarrow \frac{\mathrm{d}x}{\mathrm{d}u} = \frac{1}{\cos x}

So you integral is \displaystyle \int \cos^3 x \, \mathrm{d}x = \int \cos^3 x \, \frac{ \mathrm{d}x }{ \mathrm{d}u }\mathrm{d}u since \frac{\mathrm{d}x}{\mathrm{d}u} \mathrm{d}u = \mathrm{d}x, so it's the exact same thing.

Sub in: \displaystyle \int \cos^3 x \times \frac{1}{\cos x}  \, \mathrm{d}x = \int \cos^2 x \, \mathrm{d}u = \int 1-\sin^2 x\, \mathrm{d}x = \int 1-u^2 \, \mathrm{d}u

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Don't worry about it: u = \sin x \Rightarrow \frac{\mathrm{d}u}{\mathrm{d}x} = \cos x \Rightarrow \frac{\mathrm{d}x}{\mathrm{d}u} = \frac{1}{\cos x}

So you integral is \displaystyle \int \cos^3 x \, \mathrm{d}x = \int \cos^3 x \, \frac{ \mathrm{d}x }{ \mathrm{d}u }\mathrm{d}u since \frac{\mathrm{d}x}{\mathrm{d}u} \mathrm{d}u = \mathrm{d}x, so it's the exact same thing.

Sub in: \displaystyle \int \cos^3 x \times \frac{1}{\cos x}  \, \mathrm{d}x = \int \cos^2 x \, \mathrm{d}u = \int 1-\sin^2 x\, \mathrm{d}x = \int 1-u^2 \, \mathrm{d}u
    (Original post by B_9710)
    Find dx in terms of x and du and you should see that there is some cancellation. Then write the remaining terms in terms of u and integrate with respect to u - which at that point is just normal integration.
    If it is a definite integral you will have to change the limits, if it is an indefinite integral then you will have to change he variable in your answer to the original variable that you started with (you could also do this with indefinite integrals-but not necessary).

For this example u=six so
     du/dx = \cos x \Rightarrow dx= du/ \cos x .
    Now substitute this in for the dx. You should see that the cosx cancel leaving  \cos^2 x . You rewrite this in terms of u and then integrate normally.

Cheers guys i did the question, But i keep getting stuck on this one question it is
    2/ e to the power of 2x +4
    the U = e to the power of 2x + 4
    I can't seem to do it because I cant get rid of the DU/2e2x.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers guys i did the question, But i keep getting stuck on this one question it is
    2/ e to the power of 2x +4
    the U = e to the power of 2x + 4
    I can't seem to do it because I cant get rid of the DU/2e2x.
    So  \displaystyle \frac{du}{dx}=2e^{2x+4} \Rightarrow dx=\frac{du}{2e^{2x+4}}
    It doesn't cancel but now try and rewrite the term in x in the integrand in terms of u, using the substitution you have been given.
    You will have  \displaystyle \int \frac{1}{e^{4x+8}} dx =\int\frac{1}{(e^{2x+4})^2} dx .
    Just write the integrand in terms of u and integrate as you would normally.

ReputationRep:
    So  \displaystyle \frac{du}{dx}=2e^{2x+4} \Rightarrow dx=\frac{du}{2e^{2x+4}}
    It doesn't cancel but now try and rewrite the term in x in the integrand in terms of u, using the substitution you have been given.
    You will have  \displaystyle \int \frac{1}{e^{4x+8}} dx =\int\frac{1}{(e^{2x+4})^2} dx .
    Just write the integrand in terms of u and integrate as you would normally.
    The +4 is not with the 2x its a seperate number
    So its literally 2/2e to the power of 2x + 4 as a seperate constant not with the power.

ReputationRep:
    The +4 is not with the 2x its a seperate number
    So its literally 2/2e to the power of 2x + 4 as a seperate constant not with the power.
     \displaystyle \int \frac{2}{e^{2x}+4} dx ?

ReputationRep:
    Yes for some reason I struggle with turning the terms into U's for this question.

ReputationRep:
    Yes for some reason I struggle with turning the terms into U's for this question.
    Note that 2e^{2x}=2(e^{2x}+4)-8.

ReputationRep:
    Ive literally done every single quetion on integreation by substition except this one, I just cant seem to do it, when I look at the mark scheme they is a 0.5x in it and it confuses me more.

ReputationRep:
    Ive literally done every single quetion on integreation by substition except this one, I just cant seem to do it, when I look at the mark scheme they is a 0.5x in it and it confuses me more.
    Use  u = 2e^{2x} + 4 then do partial fractions.

ReputationRep:
    Could use  u=e^{2x} .

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 31, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.