Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

does your school teach sex education? Watch

That lesson when we were taught how to put condoms on styrofoam dildos...
    I just had to get the chocolate flavoured one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Legendary Quest)
    Sounds hectic but very informative
    Yeah a lot of back and forth going on between the class and the teachers. Obviously its not a priority in school, so sessions were short and to the point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NotNotBatman)
    In secondary school, it was only taught through Religious studies. So just no contraceptives, no homosexual sex and things like that.
    All of which I disagree with however.
    Do you mean you disagree with the way it was taught or you disagree with contraceptives?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, all the way through from year 7 to sixth form.

More importantly we were taught about both safe sex practices (condoms, sexual health check ups, contraceptions, STIs) but also about the emotional side of sexual relationships and what a healthy and safe relationship is.

It is so important to have knowledge in this area because for the majority of people sex will be a part of their life.

At the start of sixth form we spoke to our school to tell them we wanted a more in depth syllabus to teach us about healthy relationships and how sex can play a part in that and they organised for us to have a group of actors to talk to us and show us a series of videos on the matter of relationships and teaching us along the way what was good and bad about the interactions the characters were having in the videos.

EDIT: to also corroborate my point, not one person in my school since I was there got pregnant, so at least you can say that we were taught well about the responsibilities that come with engaging in a sexual relationship.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dinasaurus)
    Yeah a lot of back and forth going on between the class and the teachers. Obviously its not a priority in school, so sessions were short and to the point.
    Maybe they should've had it more regularly

ReputationRep:
    The last sex ed lesson i had was in yr7. We were shown how to put on a condom and thst was about all i can remember.
    We were told about sti's and consent and stuff but that was during random lessons which werent sex ed.

ReputationRep:
    Learnt everything i know from a dvd called when a pizza man calls

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mightybis0n)
    My Sixth Form did, but I don't think schools should be involved to be quite honest.

Since sex ed began being taught in schools pregnancies, abortions and STD's have skyrocketed.

Leave it to the parents.
    citation needed for those statistics. sounds like a load of rubbish
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Blondie987)
    Do you mean you disagree with the way it was taught or you disagree with contraceptives?
    The way it was taught.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. But not very well.

Still not sure what he's for tbh.

Although I made this post many months ago I would like to bump the thread for more responses

ReputationRep:
    I honestly didn't know sex ed was a legal requirement. At my school we covered puberty for one lesson in year 7 biology and that was it. Absolutely nothing on contraception, STDs, consent or the emotional aspect of sex.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 31, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.