Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have conditional offers from York and Exeter of 36 points in IB and I'm unsure which to put as my insurance. Which is the better uni and which is most likely to accept me if I get less than 36 as my firm is 36 too

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure on the universities. I know that the University of York is a great university and the city is wonderful. Not sure about Exeter. Just wanted to drop in and say that York is great.

ReputationRep:
    Neither will accept you with less than 36, in all honesty. Both are equally good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MNIMxSHINee)
    I have conditional offers from York and Exeter of 36 points in IB and I'm unsure which to put as my insurance. Which is the better uni and which is most likely to accept me if I get less than 36 as my firm is 36 too
    Both are great unis, but I would lean more towards putting Exeter as your insurance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zero_gravity)
    Both are great unis, but I would lean more towards putting Exetr as your insurance.
    Why Exeter?

(Original post by Karaleigh19)
    I'm not sure on the universities. I know that the University of York is a great university and the city is wonderful. Not sure about Exeter. Just wanted to drop in and say that York is great.
    Why York?

ReputationRep:
    Why Exeter?

Why York?

The city is gorgeous (historic, good-ish night life, loads of nice places to eat and the library is decent). The university itself is, what I've heard anyway, a really good university. Like I said though, I don't know anything about the university as I'm only in college and I don't plan on going there myself (don't want to go to a university in the city I live in).

Exeter is ranked 7th, York is ranked 17th on the University Rankings Table for 2016. Obviously this differs on the course you want to do; York is 12th, Exeter is 19th in that regard. Depends on what you want out of the university to be honest, do you want a good city, good facilities, good faculty? That will be ultimately how you decide and I'm pretty sure that both York and Exeter have the same entry requirements and I doubt they'll budge much if you get less than 36 - both are Russell Group after all and they take entry requirements pretty seriously.

Of course, I could be entirely wrong, so just take it as you will. Good luck choosing between the two!

ReputationRep:
    Exeter - beautiful campus, great choice of accommodation, warmer climate, good rep for law, lovely city and not as touristy as York.

ReputationRep:
    Why Exeter?
    Well, I actually consider them pretty on par with each other, but I think Exeter isn't as great as York in the way they teach. As you know, they use PBL (problem-based learning), which would be really useful when it comes to law. While Exeter is quickly rising through the ranks, I do think York's style of teaching is a great way of learning law. However, if this isn't something you are comfortable with, then I would suggest going with Exeter.

For more information on PBL, you can click this link: https://www.york.ac.uk/law/undergrad...-year-llb/pbl/.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zero_gravity)
    Well, I actually consider them pretty on par with each other, but I think Exeter isn't as great as York in the way they teach. As you know, they use PBL (problem-based learning), which would be really useful when it comes to law. While Exeter is quickly rising through the ranks, I do think York's style of teaching is a great way of learning law. However, if this isn't something you are comfortable with, then I would suggest going with Exeter.

For more information on PBL, you can click this link: https://www.york.ac.uk/law/undergrad...-year-llb/pbl/.
    Don't get caught up in the marketing, my young friend. As has been mentioned on this forum several times before, every law school teaches PBL. It's simply that York tries to make itself stand out by banging about it, thus creating the impression that they're somehow special for teaching in this way. They're not.

In fact, Exeter has the exact same thing!
    http://socialsciences.exeter.ac.uk/l...rtuallawfirms/

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.