Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Year 12s- has anyone still not decided what they want to study at uni? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am in Year 12 and, although I have a shortlist of two subjects that I want to study which I will decide between, I feel like there are a lot of people in Year 12 (in my school) who have no idea.

ReputationRep:
    Im in a similar position to you, im tied between economics, accountancy and mathematics

Nope. Not really. I guess I just have to explore/research a bit more.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    When I was in Year 12, I had no idea at all :moon:

But in Year 13 I figured it out, went to a few public lectures and read a few books about Maths and now here I am.

ReputationRep:
    When I was at the beginning of A2 I still didn't know what I wanted to study... I found that by going to universities and getting a feel for the courses and being honest with myself to a certain extent I finally came to a decision. Honestly, if you're stuck between two you'll probably have an idea of what you want to do but you're just unsure. You have the whole summer after AS to research it and decide so don't worry about it too much. I was told by one of my teachers that I wouldn't like the course I'd chosen Chemistry and I should try and change my course but now I dont know what else I would've done and would have certainly hated chemistry. I have 1 chemistry module and it's my least favourite out of all of them.

ReputationRep:
    I go to one of Yorkshire's top colleges and I don't even know if I want to go to University! There's so much expectation put on us to go to university and they actually expect us to go to uni, they've even got us looking about 6 months ago, and I'm only in my first year! I'll be lucky to get a second year at my college never mind going to university! I don't even know what I want to do with myself when I leave college!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Awakening)
    Im in a similar position to you, im tied between economics, accountancy and mathematics
    Yeah i'm tied between economics and maths so I've decided that I will apply for joint honours degree in Maths and Economics- this is quite a popular course at a lot of universities like LSE, UCL and Warwick and a few people from the year above at my school applied for it. Since I want to go into finance or banking in the future the degree doesn't really matter that much. Btw, you don't need to do an accounting degree to become an accountant so I'd probably recommend choosing either maths or economics or both.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    Yeah i'm tied between economics and maths so I've decided that I will apply for joint honours degree in Maths and Economics- this is quite a popular course at a lot of universities like LSE, UCL and Warwick and a few people from the year above at my school applied for it. Since I want to go into finance or banking in the future the degree doesn't really matter that much. Btw, you don't need to do an accounting degree to become an accountant so I'd probably recommend choosing either maths or economics or both.
    True, but there's this KPMG programme at Durham university where if you study accountancy, you are pretty much guaranteed an accounting job after university as well as becoming a chartered accountant.

Basically, Economics has higher risk but greater reward, whereas Accountancy has much lower risk but less reward. Atleast for me that is.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't know until a month into year 13 :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    True, but there's this KPMG programme at Durham university where if you study accountancy, you are pretty much guaranteed an accounting job after university as well as becoming a chartered accountant.

Basically, Economics has higher risk but greater reward, whereas Accountancy has much lower risk but less reward. Atleast for me that is.
    You could do a school leaver programme with one of the accounting big4 companies and then you'll have a full-time accounting job (the same job that graduates get) without the university debt. I'd only recommend going to university if you are also considering other careers apart from accounting, such as banking, actuarial, trading, consulting or risk management.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    When I was in Year 12, I had no idea at all :moon:

But in Year 13 I figured it out, went to a few public lectures and read a few books about Maths and now here I am.
    So you only started considering maths as a degree course when you were in year 13?

ReputationRep:
    You could do a school leaver programme with one of the accounting big4 companies and then you'll have a full-time accounting job (the same job that graduates get) without the university debt. I'd only recommend going to university if you are also considering other careers apart from accounting, such as banking, actuarial, trading, consulting or risk management.
    Those are all careers which interest me, hence why I am opting to go to university. However I'd also like something pretty safe to fall back on if things don't go to plan, which is what accounting will do perfectly. Which leads me to the dilemma I'm currently in XD

ReputationRep:
    Those are all careers which interest me, hence why I am opting to go to university. However I'd also like something pretty safe to fall back on if things don't go to plan, which is what accounting will do perfectly. Which leads me to the dilemma I'm currently in XD
    Yeah it is true that accounting is quite a safe career path to get on, but the accounting degree also prepares you well for a career in banking or other financial sectors as well. So there aren't many jobs that you can get with a maths/economics degree that you cannot get with an accounting degree, and vice versa. Just choose the degree that you find most interesting.

ReputationRep:
    i didn't decide until Year 13 haha. Even now, I'm not sure if I fully want to do my chosen degree this September. It's completely different to every degree I contemplated in the years before as it's not really science or maths based.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peppercrunch)
    i didn't decide until Year 13 haha. Even now, I'm not sure if I fully want to do my chosen degree this September. It's completely different to every degree I contemplated in the years before as it's not really science or maths based.
    What did you choose? Why did you decide on that degree instead of on what you previously comtemplated? Just wondering because I used to want to study engineering but lately I've decided on maths and economics more because I prefer that type of maths and didn't really want to work as an engineer.

ReputationRep:
    Most people in my school had decided by year 9, guess that is unusual for people.

ReputationRep:
    What did you choose? Why did you decide on that degree instead of on what you previously comtemplated? Just wondering because I used to want to study engineering but lately I've decided on maths and economics more because I prefer that type of maths and didn't really want to work as an engineer.
    I was originally planning to do something along the lines of pharmacy or pharmacology, which has quite a lot of chemistry and some maths in it.

I ended up applying for Geography and Economics, with the economics part sort of being imposed by family members who said I can't do anything with geography alone. This was because geography is my strongest subject, and I didn't do as well as I could've in chemistry and maths, but I didn't do that bad in them.

I only decided to change the degree because of my AS results, with the fact that I got over 90% UMS in geography.
    Do you know where you might apply to yet, if you started looking at universities?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aamirac)
    Nope. Not really. I guess I just have to explore/research a bit more.
    (Original post by alsanderson_)
    I go to one of Yorkshire's top colleges and I don't even know if I want to go to University! There's so much expectation put on us to go to university and they actually expect us to go to uni, they've even got us looking about 6 months ago, and I'm only in my first year! I'll be lucky to get a second year at my college never mind going to university! I don't even know what I want to do with myself when I leave college!
    (Original post by Peppercrunch)
    Just wondering, have any of you guys decided now what you want to study?

Im in year 13 but i didn't know till like 2 months into year 13 tbh :P
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    So you only started considering maths as a degree course when you were in year 13?
    Sorry, I'm not sure how I missed this notification (albeit 2 months late).

I guess so. It was the thing I was best at from primary school to A-levels but I hadn't put much thought into uni until Year 13.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.