Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A customer 'threatened' me today Watch

ReputationRep:
    It's a complicated story. He bought several of these cards which I think are for phone top ups, I'm not entirely sure how they work. On a couple of them there was an error, when I scanned them on the till they were marked 0 pounds even though they were labelled 99p. I told him this before he paid. He bought the others, but when the receipt printed the two cards that didn't work were marked on the receipt as 0 pounds.

Well, he flipped. At first he said he wanted the other two cards anyway, since they were on the receipt. I told him I couldn't do that because the cards were marked as 99p, and he hadn't paid for them. Then he said he was going to call the police and that he wanted them to arrest me. I rang for my colleague to come out. The customer them demanded a refund. Then he complained that I hadn't put the money in his hand. Threatened to call the police again. I said if he didn't leave the store I'd call the police myself. He said good, I should be arrested. Then he wanted to rebuy the cards. I let my colleague serve him and he eventually left.
    Has anyone ever dealt with something like this before and what happened? My manager wasnt there.

ReputationRep:
    Obvs it was just empty threats and I stood my ground while he was there but I'm still shaken.

ReputationRep:
    Lol what a **** causing up a fuss for 99p cards (which he obvs hadn't bought). Some people need lives n hobbies.

I had a lady at work once threaten to 'have me done' because i told her she couldnt eat the maoams before she paid for them.

Customer is always right. That's what I have been told.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darkred)
    Lol what a **** causing up a fuss for 99p cards (which he obvs hadn't bought). Some people need lives n hobbies.

I had a lady at work once threaten to 'have me done' because i told her she couldnt eat the maoams before she paid for them.
    I'd scanned them so they were marked on his receipt as 0 pounds. He hadn't paid for them! He made me give him a refund for the other cards he bought and then buy them again just so the two cards for 0 pounds wouldn't show on his receipt! What an ********...

ReputationRep:
    It's so annoying when people walk into shops, restaurants or other public places acting like an entitled brat and treating staff like they have no feelings. I think it was good that you remained calm and called your colleague for help becuase then that means you would have had a witness. I think the best advice is to just ignore idiotic behavior, it says a lot about them if they act up in public
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    You dealt with it well. You didnt panic and you didnt let him bully you. You calle your colleague. Good job.

ReputationRep:
    Just wish my manager was there more often, or that she'd have a supervisor when she's not there. I work there 3 days a week and I swear on 2 of them she's not in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sabrina2929)
    It's so annoying when people walk into shops, restaurants or other public places acting like an entitled brat and treating staff like they have no feelings. I think it was good that you remained calm and called your colleague for help becuase then that means you would have had a witness. I think the best advice is to just ignore idiotic behavior, it says a lot about them if they act up in public
    I just struggle to understand why people behave in this way or why he got so hung up on the 0 pounds on the receipt.

ReputationRep:
    A lady threw her receipt and some other crumpled pieces of paper in my face because I told her I couldn't refund her old (nasty smelling) dirty jeans.

In my 5 yrs of retail work one thing I've noticed is that all of the mean horrible rude customers I've had were ALWAYS middle aged. Never young.

And they say our generation's the one doing it all wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheReckless)
    A lady threw her receipt and some other crumpled pieces of paper in my face because I told her I couldn't refund her old (nasty smelling) dirty jeans.

In my 5 yrs of retail work one thing I've noticed is that all of the mean horrible rude customers I've had were ALWAYS middle aged. Never young.

yeah it was a middle aged asian man.
    I can understand why they'd be upset at not getting a refund, although throwing a receipt in your face is unacceptable.
    but this...? I just don't understand. he paid for what he bought, no more or no less.

ReputationRep:

You should have thrown something at her, a hanger or something That just sounds awful :lolwut: This is why I'm never going to work somewhere where I'll have to face customers because either I'll end up crying or screaming at them.

ReputationRep:
    I experienced plenty of similar situations dealing with unreasonable idiots while working in a call centre, don't let it get to you otherwise they've won.

I just used to repeat myself in a monotone voice to wind them up even more, then smirk to myself while they had a fit on the other end of the phone.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by sherlockfan)
    It's a complicated story. He bought several of these cards which I think are for phone top ups, I'm not entirely sure how they work. On a couple of them there was an error, when I scanned them on the till they were marked 0 pounds even though they were labelled 99p. I told him this before he paid. He bought the others, but when the receipt printed the two cards that didn't work were marked on the receipt as 0 pounds.

Well, he flipped. At first he said he wanted the other two cards anyway, since they were on the receipt. I told him I couldn't do that because the cards were marked as 99p, and he hadn't paid for them. Then he said he was going to call the police and that he wanted them to arrest me. I rang for my colleague to come out. The customer them demanded a refund. Then he complained that I hadn't put the money in his hand. Threatened to call the police again. I said if he didn't leave the store I'd call the police myself. He said good, I should be arrested. Then he wanted to rebuy the cards. I let my colleague serve him and he eventually left.
    Has anyone ever dealt with something like this before and what happened? My manager wasnt there.
    That's an...odd... situation. I think the most difficult customer I've had claimed that he'd "seen it in in the cellar earlier" when I told him that the particular brand of vodka he asked for had run out. I assumed - having only worked there for a month - that he was simply a staff member who I'd not met yet. Turns out he was totally BSing me to get me to ask my supervisor for the key to the spirit cellar and look for said vodka again. Turns out it was in the cellar but was in the wrong place which is why I was convinced we didn't have any of it.

The same customer later proceeded to scoff at the price of the most expensive champagne we sold (about £90/bottle) but later bought it to try and impress some lasses he'd met in the pub. He was a complete arse to all the staff who served him. It might be a busy pub but all the staff are attentive enough to know who's being a **** to their colleagues.

I also remember some lads trying to get served who I assumed were under age so I asked for ID. Apparently they were close friends with the son of the owner and didn't appreciate me reminding them that the law still applies and I didn't want to be prosecuted for serving under age drinkers. At this point I also realised that one of them was horrifically drunk and couldn't talk properly so I refused him alcohol. Again, they protested that their best friend is the son of the owner. Again - I didn't want to get prosecuted for serving someone who is drunk - so I refused him service. The sober ones got an extra drink "for themselves" and proceeded to give it to him as soon as they thought I couldn't see them. Fast forward an hour and the lad couldn't walk out of the pub because he was too drunk.

ReputationRep:

This is so true! Every single teenaged or early 20s customer I've served has been polite, etc. Perhaps because a lot of students work retail/customer service and so know how to be a decent human?
    Not sure, but gosh, you're right, they are so much more polite.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sherlockfan)

Call the police over a grand total of £2?......:lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by celloel)
    This is so true! Every single teenaged or early 20s customer I've served has been polite, etc. Perhaps because a lot of students work retail/customer service and so know how to be a decent human?
    Not sure, but gosh, you're right, they are so much more polite.
    No, its because young people have more fun/interesting things to do with their lives than waste their time arguing with shop attendants.

Also, shop attendants mostly range from about 16-30, and middle aged people being older, are more likely to assume they know better and so more likely to kick up a fuss.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Impressive)
    Customer is always right. That's what I have been told.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If that were true she'd be arrested for not selling him his cards for 0p.

ReputationRep:
    Lol yh tbh happened to me alot when working in retail.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I work as a till operator and we had some very aggressive teens who came into the take away shop.

It all started last week, when my colleague took their order over the phone but when they came in it turned out or according to the group anyway they had ordered something else. So my colleague just wanted to clarify what they wanted to get the correct order made but instead they started being abusive. Anyway the food was made and then they said they didnt order that. Then they started shouting, swearing and even threatening 'I'm gonna slap you'. One of them kept mentioning the fact that they were a team leader and demanded respect. Also kept saying 'customers come first' like it was some legal requirement. They wanted their money back but wanted to eat the food anyway because 'it would go to waste otherwise'. This was the point my manager came in and told them have your money or the food but not both. And that they would not be able to enter the shop again after their behaviour.

Fast forward this week, they come in again with some other friends. We dont take their orders as requested by the manager. They get aggressive, one of them threatens my colleague 'come at the back lets talk alone', 'customers come first' and 'we're gonna slap you'. After shouting and arguing they steal some of the cutlery and poor their drinks over other customers food. Manager was out that day so we called the police who didnt even come. They left but we were left to clean up the mess. Obviously the customers waiting for their food werent happy but were very understanding of the situation.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.