Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A customer 'threatened' me today Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poiuytrewq54321)
    I work as a till operator and we had some very aggressive teens who came into the take away shop.

It all started last week, when my colleague took their order over the phone but when they came in it turned out or according to the group anyway they had ordered something else. So my colleague just wanted to clarify what they wanted to get the correct order made but instead they started being abusive. Anyway the food was made and then they said they didnt order that. Then they started shouting, swearing and even threatening 'I'm gonna slap you'. One of them kept mentioning the fact that they were a team leader and demanded respect. Also kept saying 'customers come first' like it was some legal requirement. They wanted their money back but wanted to eat the food anyway because 'it would go to waste otherwise'. This was the point my manager came in and told them have your money or the food but not both. And that they would not be able to enter the shop again after their behaviour.

Fast forward this week, they come in again with some other friends. We dont take their orders as requested by the manager. They get aggressive, one of them threatens my colleague 'come at the back lets talk alone', 'customers come first' and 'we're gonna slap you'. After shouting and arguing they steal some of the cutlery and poor their drinks over other customers food. Manager was out that day so we called the police who didnt even come. They left but we were left to clean up the mess. Obviously the customers waiting for their food werent happy but were very understanding of the situation.
    my god that sounds horrible. i'll never work in a food place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gucci Mane.)
    Call the police over a grand total of £2?......:lol:
    it wasn't even two pounds, it was showed zero pounds on his receipt because they didn't scan properly. he just didn't like the fact that it was on his receipt.

(Original post by TheReckless)

In my 5 yrs of retail work one thing I've noticed is that all of the mean horrible rude customers I've had were ALWAYS middle aged. Never young.
    :ditto: Most of my rude customers are middle aged too. It's rarely the youngest or the eldest who cause trouble in my shop.:dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Impressive)
    Customer is always right. That's what I have been told.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Are you having a laugh?

(Original post by Emma:-))
    Are you having a laugh?
    no

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sabrina2929)
    It's so annoying when people walk into shops, restaurants or other public places acting like an entitled brat and treating staff like they have no feelings. I think it was good that you remained calm and called your colleague for help becuase then that means you would have had a witness. I think the best advice is to just ignore idiotic behavior, it says a lot about them if they act up in public
    in the restaurant i used to work in one night a guy (in a white suit) was at the bar and got quite drunk and started getting trying to get handsy with one of the waitresses serving him so he walkout back, quite upset and told the boss what happens and he took her tray and told her to watch from the bar
    he loaded the tray with about a bottle-worth of red cooking wine in glasses and walk pasted the bar before dropping the lot 'accidently' over his suit and well the suited guy got angry and turn he was about 6' 8'' and our boss was about 5' 10'' and the boss literally picked him over his shoulder and threw him out of the restaurant he never came back in the six months i was still working there
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I work as a volunteer in a charity shop. 95% of the customers I serve and pleasant but a very small minority can be abusive, especially when I refuse to haggle with them (I am not allowed to do this).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    I work as a volunteer in a charity shop. 95% of the customers I serve and pleasant but a very small minority can be abusive, especially when I refuse to haggle with them (I am not allowed to do this).
    I used to work in a charity shop. I hated it.

ReputationRep:
    no
    Put it this way. The customer is NOT always right, whatever people say.
    Some customers in fact are completely wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sherlockfan)
    It's a complicated story. He bought several of these cards which I think are for phone top ups, I'm not entirely sure how they work. On a couple of them there was an error, when I scanned them on the till they were marked 0 pounds even though they were labelled 99p. I told him this before he paid. He bought the others, but when the receipt printed the two cards that didn't work were marked on the receipt as 0 pounds.

Well, he flipped. At first he said he wanted the other two cards anyway, since they were on the receipt. I told him I couldn't do that because the cards were marked as 99p, and he hadn't paid for them. Then he said he was going to call the police and that he wanted them to arrest me. I rang for my colleague to come out. The customer them demanded a refund. Then he complained that I hadn't put the money in his hand. Threatened to call the police again. I said if he didn't leave the store I'd call the police myself. He said good, I should be arrested. Then he wanted to rebuy the cards. I let my colleague serve him and he eventually left.
    Has anyone ever dealt with something like this before and what happened? My manager wasnt there.
    Its a difficult one because 99p is zero pounds did it show as £0.00 or £0.99? if it did not scan you should of manually added £0.99 if you work in a small retail store. But if you asked him to leave and he refused to go that is tresspassing, and if he was shouting- that is threatening behavior towards you. I think aslong as you have the price clearly labelled on the product- so their is not a misleading description on the product you are abiding by the trade descriptions act. out of curiosity where do you work?

Put it this way. The customer is NOT always right, whatever people say.
    Some customers in fact are completely wrong.
    Okay emma.

ReputationRep:
    Okay emma.
    Its true.
    If you have ever worked in retail you will understand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sherlockfan)
    I used to work in a charity shop. I hated it.
    Most charities lose 70% of donations in Admin fees

Its true.
    If you have ever worked in retail you will understand.
    Okay emma.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yup, customers can go **** themselves in many situations as far as I'm concerned.

They often don't know what they're talking about and you have every right to refuse them service.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Donald J Trump)
    Its a difficult one because 99p is zero pounds did it show as £0.00 or £0.99? if it did not scan you should of manually added £0.99 if you work in a small retail store. But if you asked him to leave and he refused to go that is tresspassing, and if he was shouting- that is threatening behavior towards you. I think aslong as you have the price clearly labelled on the product- so their is not a misleading description on the product you are abiding by the trade descriptions act. out of curiosity where do you work?
    No it showed as £0.00. He had not been charged for them. And they were clearly marked at 99p.
    I'd rather not say for anonymity purposes.
    Though come to think of it you could probably guess anyway by looking at another thread I posted lol.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.