• Section Leader
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Too much ethics involved here for me to make an informed choice :erm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    If we could, do you think we should police peoples' thoughts?

Lets say you have the power to read a person's mind, and you had the power to lock them up.

Which of the following thought crimes would you lock a person up for, and why?:

VIOLENT INTENT:
    -Intent to maim/kill
    -Intent to rape/assault
    -Intent to stalk/harass
    -Intent to rob
    -Intent to violently protest

NON-VIOLENT INTENT:
    -Objectifying thoughts
    -Anti-democratic thoughts
    -Racist thoughts (including seemingly harmless stereotyping)
    -Hatred or fear of groups of people
    -Elitist views (e.g. superiority based on anything from intelligence to wealth to ethnicity)
    -Pro-Hitler views (not necessarily racist, e.g. "he was a great leader, but misguided"
    -Mistrust of authorities
    Sounds like you're not that keen on thoughts being a crime. Do you count Mens Rea as thought crime?

If thoughts should not be a crime, how would you distinguish between manslaughter and murder, or do you think they are essentially the same thing?

ReputationRep:
    No, thoughts are not actions and intent is different to just considering a possibility, if we decided to lock people up for their thoughts, the prisons would be full

ReputationRep:
    no

ReputationRep:
    But wouldn't it save lives, acting preemptively? If someone was minutes away from committing violent crime, shouldn't they be locked up, for the safety of others?

Why?
    I plan to kill people all the time.... Unless I take action im doing no wrong

Also you cant arrest people for sympathising with Hitler.

ReputationRep:
    But wouldn't it save lives, acting preemptively? If someone was minutes away from committing violent crime, shouldn't they be locked up, for the safety of others?

Why?
    Being seconds away from committing the crime and just thinking about anything remotely criminal is not the same thing, plus surely criminals would just find a way around it anyway

ReputationRep:
    No it would be a very difficult thing to try and justify imprisoning someone for.

If someone has a thought they'd like to kill someone you shouldn't imprison them on the off chance they might actually do it.

If you can tell someone has the intention to kill then that's different and is considered illegal in our society anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Let's not bring arbitrarily defined "right" and "wrong" into this

Wouldn't you like to be locked up in prison during your "plan to kill others" periods, to ensure you don't do anything you regret later?

Absolutely not, I might actually have a a good reason to one day and don't want people stopping me because they can read my thoughts.

ReputationRep:
    If there were a good reason to kill someone, you could report them to the authorities...

Nahh I would rather kill them If i felt i needed to.

ReputationRep:
    The technology would have to be robust and completely infallible, with a huge tolerance for error, to allow this. What if someone is reading a book during which a character is murdered? If they have a vivid mental image, surely it would not be beyond the bounds of reason that this device would pick this up as a thought crime?

Even if the technology was completely perfect and intelligent enough to distinguish between thoughts and actual intent to commit a crime, to have any meaningful effect everyone would have to be under constant surveillance. To do this, everyone would have to be fitted with a device of some sort, which criminal groups would be likely to quickly find a way to deactivate, starting a 'Black Market' of sorts.

In principle, the idea is brilliant, ant despite the above problems, it does raise a possibility for those considered to be a suicide risk, for example. They could be fitted with a device like this to monitor their thoughts and automatically alert the relevant people if thoughts of suicide occur. Alternatively, perhaps a patient with a mental health condition could have a device to measure and record their thoughts in order to aid Doctors and Psychologists in making a diagnosis and deciding upon a treatment plan?

What do you think?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If we could, do you think we should police peoples' thoughts?

Lets say you have the power to read a person's mind, and you had the power to lock them up.

Which of the following thought crimes would you lock a person up for, and why?:

VIOLENT INTENT:
    -Intent to maim/kill
    -Intent to rape/assault
    -Intent to stalk/harass
    -Intent to rob
    -Intent to violently protest

NON-VIOLENT INTENT:
    -Objectifying thoughts
    -Anti-democratic thoughts
    -Racist thoughts (including seemingly harmless stereotyping)
    -Hatred or fear of groups of people
    -Elitist views (e.g. superiority based on anything from intelligence to wealth to ethnicity)
    -Pro-Hitler views (not necessarily racist, e.g. "he was a great leader, but misguided" )
    -Mistrust of authorities
    Would never work.

Practically speaking, just thinking about doing harmful things couldnt be a crime otherwise the entire world would be in prison (eg. I want to wipe out all the racists in the debate forum on here). It's not a crime until you actually commit the action.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.