Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi

My daughter has offers from Durham and Imperial for Geophysics. Imperial offered AAA and Durham AAB.

She also got offers from Leeds, Manchester(Planetary Science and Geology) and Liverpool but her firm choice is going to be between Durham and Imperial. Accommodation wise she has got into Castle at Durham so is really attracted by that but London obviously has its attractions as well - especially since she loves ballet and RAD and ENB are only a short walk away.

So on purely academic grounds and maybe future employment which would you choose. She is still undecided and needs to make a choice soon - if only to stop her asking me where she should go!

Thanks for any views you can give

ReputationRep:
    That's such a difficult choice! I'd struggle to live in London for 3 years, but you did specify on academic grounds...so I'd maybe go for Imperial.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Tabath)
    Hi

My daughter has offers from Durham and Imperial for Geophysics. Imperial offered AAA and Durham AAB.

She also got offers from Leeds, Manchester(Planetary Science and Geology) and Liverpool but her firm choice is going to be between Durham and Imperial. Accommodation wise she has got into Castle at Durham so is really attracted by that but London obviously has its attractions as well - especially since she loves ballet and RAD and ENB are only a short walk away.

So on purely academic grounds and maybe future employment which would you choose. She is still undecided and needs to make a choice soon - if only to stop her asking me where she should go!

On purely academic grounds and future employment, then I'd certainly say Imperial wins here. But obviously that's not the only component you need to consider. I'm assuming she's visited both departments - which did she prefer the feel of? They're quite different universities, in terms of their organisation and setting! Has she also looked in detail at the modules offered by both courses? And there's also the issue of finance to consider; Imperial isn't exactly cheap, which is the main thing that put me off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tabath)
    Hi

Castle is beautiful, but as others have said purely in terms of academia and career prospects Imperial is superior by quite a large margin.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your replies.My daughter really liked the course at Imperial best and especially this year is the best option academically,. However she really wasn't sure about spending three years in London (Shes says shes not really a city girl!) and fell in love with Castle when she stayed there overnight on a post offer visit so she has chosen Durham as her firm with Liverpool as her back up. She also decided she wanted to do the BSc as she wants to do an MSc rather than an MSci and this also enables her to go and do a Masters at Imperial.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.