It appreciated because it buy more us dollars

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakei1234)
    how can it appreciate when it could buy fewer us dollars
    The figure showed the dollar being able to buy less and less yen

ReputationRep:
    Answers for the 18 marker?

ReputationRep:
    for the yen exchange rate question with figure 1, i thought it depreciated. Becuase the yen was decreasing, but i might have read the table wrong , what the table headings

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got a link to the mark scheme?

ReputationRep:
    If i wrote the complete opposite and said the currency depreciated but the analysis was spot on and everything how many marks would i lose? Will i get Benefit of doubt and get marks, or will i get 0/4 for analyzing the completely opposite effect. Be honest please

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yousf)
    If i wrote the complete opposite and said the currency depreciated but the analysis was spot on and everything how many marks would i lose? Will i get Benefit of doubt and get marks, or will i get 0/4 for analyzing the completely opposite effect. Be honest please
    Probably 0 sorry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yousf)
    I did exactly the same thing, hoping for some BOD marks for my analysis but to be honest i wouldnt rely on it to pick up marks

ReputationRep:
    The currency appreciated because the dollar could buy less of the Japanese Yan.
    In other words the value of the dollar reduced in relation to the value of the Japanese Yan.

(Original post by jakei1234)
    how can it appreciate when it could buy fewer us dollars

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KatherineOliver)
    for the yen exchange rate question with figure 1, i thought it depreciated. Becuase the yen was decreasing, but i might have read the table wrong , what the table headings
    Fewer and fewer yen bought the same number of dollars. That's an appreciation for the Japanese.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ablojo)
    I thought it was a depreciation as well!
    No it appreciated; started with needing 118 yen in 2008 per dollar then over the years it got stronger until 2012 where only 82 yen was needed per dollar. Therefore the yen currency became stronger against the dollar and thus can be said to have appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yousf)
    Highly doubtful, I did the same thing :/ Looking at previous mark schemes they say award 0 marks for the opposite of what is required.

ReputationRep:
    Didn't the case study say the japanese yen brought an unwelcome depreciation???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pato1)
    exactly?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got predicted grade boundaries considering the paper was one of the trickier ones?

ReputationRep:
    Questions were as follows; see the unofficial mark scheme for potential answers as linked previously in the thread
    F582 23RD MAY 2016 PAPER QUESTIONS
    Using the information from the case study identify two policies that could be used by Japan to reduce inequality in income distribution (2 marks)

Two disadvantages of the Labour Force Survey (4 marks)

Why do lower benefits lead to a decrease in unemployment? (2 marks)

Analyse why a cut in the amount paid in benefits to the unemployed may increase unemployment (4 marks)

How many people were unemployed in Japan than in the UK (2 marks)

What effect would an increase of costs of production have on the aggregate supply curve (1 mark)

State and explain 3 supply side policies using the case study (lines 25-28) (6 marks)

Comment on whether a large decline in output is likely to result in lower government spending (6 marks)

Explain what effect the change in the value of the Japanese Yen shown in fig1 would be expected to have on Japan’s AD
    (4 marks)

Comment on whether a large reduction in the interest rates will lead to a current account surplus reduction (6 marks)

State one similarity between GDP and Real GDP (1 mark)
    State one difference between GDP and Real GDP (1 mark)

Calculate the expected rise in real GDP from UK 2012 to UK 2013 (3 marks)

Discuss whether economic growth will always help the government achieve its other macro-economic policy objectives (18 marks)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pato1)
    From what I recall the question specifically said with reference to fig.1 which showed an appreciation

ReputationRep:
    June 10 essay is very similar to our essay we did today btw

ReputationRep:
    Just searched on Google. The yen depreciated over the last few years. There is a depreciation. You wouldn't get the marks for an appreciation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tenro)
    Questions were as follows; see the unofficial mark scheme for potential answers as linked previously in the thread
    F582 23RD MAY 2016 PAPER QUESTIONS
    Using the information from the case study identify two policies that could be used by Japan to reduce inequality in income distribution (2 marks)

Two disadvantages of the Labour Force Survey (4 marks)

Why do lower benefits lead to a decrease in unemployment? (2 marks)

Analyse why a cut in the amount paid in benefits to the unemployed may increase unemployment (4 marks)

How many people were unemployed in Japan than in the UK (2 marks)

What effect would an increase of costs of production have on the aggregate supply curve (1 mark)

State and explain 3 supply side policies using the case study (lines 25-28) (6 marks)

Comment on whether a large decline in output is likely to result in lower government spending (6 marks)

Explain what effect the change in the value of the Japanese Yen shown in fig1 would be expected to have on Japan’s AD
    (4 marks)

Comment on whether a large reduction in the interest rates will lead to a current account surplus reduction (6 marks)

State one similarity between GDP and Real GDP (1 mark)
    State one difference between GDP and Real GDP (1 mark)

Calculate the expected rise in real GDP from UK 2012 to UK 2013 (3 marks)

Discuss whether economic growth will always help the government achieve its other macro-economic policy objectives (18 marks)
    Thank you, but just wondering where you have posted the unofficial mark scheme?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.