Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys,

I'll be graduating from Biomedical Science next year and hoping to apply to medicine.
    I was just wondering how much of a disadvantage i'd be at if I was to get a 2.1 instead of a 1st?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    From what I've gathered over the few years from different sources, including all the books, leaflets and universities themselves, it doesn't really matter if you have the 1st or 2.1... It comes down after meeting a minimum requirement down to the entrance exam results, PS, references and then, if invited, interview performance, doesn't it? I always thought that there's only a difference between a candidate with a 1st and one with 2.1 if they have the same scores from exams etc and they have to distinguish differently?

ReputationRep:
    I would think it depends on the medical school and what their selection process is like. If they rank candidates on academic achievements, then yes, you would score lower than a candidate who had a first. But there are plenty of medical schools that require a minimum of 2:1 grade and rank based on UKCAT/BMAT/GAMSAT score so only the admissions test is considered after you meet the minimum requirement of a 2:1 - it's just a matter of researching the medical schools' requirements.

Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lastlullabyy)
    From what I've gathered over the few years from different sources, including all the books, leaflets and universities themselves, it doesn't really matter if you have the 1st or 2.1... It comes down after meeting a minimum requirement down to the entrance exam results, PS, references and then, if invited, interview performance, doesn't it? I always thought that there's only a difference between a candidate with a 1st and one with 2.1 if they have the same scores from exams etc and they have to distinguish differently?
    Oh, thank you for that I wasn't too sure and was worried in case I miss getting the 1st. I think I'll look into it more and the entry requirements because most unis do say 2.1 or 1st. Thanks again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VARRRDAQ)
    I would think it depends on the medical school and what their selection process is like. If they rank candidates on academic achievements, then yes, you would score lower than a candidate who had a first. But there are plenty of medical schools that require a minimum of 2:1 grade and rank based on UKCAT/BMAT/GAMSAT score so only the admissions test is considered after you meet the minimum requirement of a 2:1 - it's just a matter of researching the medical schools' requirements.

Hope that helps
    Yeah that's true thanks a lot!
    I'll be researching into it more, I'm glad there's still hope even if I miss out on the 1st!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheArtOfThePoetic)
    I was just wondering how much of a disadvantage i'd be at if I was to get a 2.1 instead of a 1st?
    It used to only be Oxford and Birmingham that prioritised applicants with 1st class degrees - although neither advertised this explicitly on their websites. In short, work experience, personal statements, standardised test scores, and interview performance are much more important. This shouldn't stop you from aiming for the 1st !!

ReputationRep:
    Oh, thank you for that I wasn't too sure and was worried in case I miss getting the 1st. I think I'll look into it more and the entry requirements because most unis do say 2.1 or 1st. Thanks again
    You're welcome I'm graduating myself this year with BSc, going to do Masters and then see if I enjoy anything else than medicine... If not I probably try to give it a shot in few years time myself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MonteCristo)
    It used to only be Oxford and Birmingham that prioritised applicants with 1st class degrees - although neither advertised this explicitly on their websites. In short, work experience, personal statements, standardised test scores, and interview performance are much more important. This shouldn't stop you from aiming for the 1st !!
    Ah right okay, it makes sense that work experience etc are more important bu no definitely not I'll still be aiming for the 1st, thank you for your reply

ReputationRep:
    You're welcome I'm graduating myself this year with BSc, going to do Masters and then see if I enjoy anything else than medicine... If not I probably try to give it a shot in few years time myself
    Aww, good luck with your Masters

ReputationRep:
    Aww, good luck with your Masters
    Thanks! Still need to pass my last 7 exams at Lancaster first haha

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! Still need to pass my last 7 exams at Lancaster first haha
    Aww 7?! I'm sure you'll do well
    I'm so stressed with exams at the minute I'm trying to motivate myself as much as i can :/

ReputationRep:
    I'm also going to be applying to medicine this year, and my likely outcome will be a 2:1.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.