Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by serious narb)
    i dont agree that they do present that image

but actualy when they came out, they were very alternative, not many bands like them around, it was really only blik and greenday who were producing that music.

o.k now you get New Found Glory, Sum 41 etc who have followed the trend, but Blink were one of the 1st bands to start this sort of music
    I'll admit that they were at one point a genuine band and given the number of years they played together prior to thier "big-break" I don't think anyone can dispute that. Unfortunately they sold out.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    I'll admit that they were at one point a genuine band and given the number of years they played together prior to thier "big-break" I don't think anyone can dispute that. Unfortunately they sold out.....
    yeah they sold out after 'all the small things' i agree with that

but if you are in a band, not that famous, just keep playing small shows to make a bit of cash and you had the option to 'sell out' and make a fortune

would you?

a) keep being a small band and get respect from a loyal fanbase

or

b) sell out and make a shitload of cash, whilst still doing what you love

think i know what i would choose

yeah they sold out after 'all the small things' i agree with that

but if you are in a band, not that famous, just keep playing small shows to make a bit of cash and you had the option to 'sell out' and make a fortune

would you?

a) keep being a small band and get respect from a loyal fanbase

or

b) sell out and make a shitload of cash, whilst still doing what you love

think i know what i would choose
    If I thought I had the talent to make myself legendary (likes of Bowie, Led Zep. etc...) then no I would turn down the immediate fortune. If I was in Blink 182 or another bands shoes then I would definitely have sold out!!! I don't say it is a bad thing to do it, I just think that afterwards you can't still expect a following as dedicated and supportive as before. I mean lets be honest, how many Blink fans are older than 21?!? They decided to sell records to teenagers and they do that well, unfortunately they have lost all right to call themselves alternative.

ReputationRep:
    If I thought I had the talent to make myself legendary (likes of Bowie, Led Zep. etc...) then no I would turn down the immediate fortune. If I was in Blink 182 or another bands shoes then I would definitely have sold out!!! I don't say it is a bad thing to do it, I just think that afterwards you can't still expect a following as dedicated and supportive as before. I mean lets be honest, how many Blink fans are older than 21?!?
    yeah i agree with that, at their shows you get a few older fans, not many though, thats just the sort of music they make i suppose

yeah i agree with that, at their shows you get a few older fans, not many though, thats just the sort of music they make i suppose
    I think Dude Ranch was probably the last thing they did of any note, after that there's not much worth listening to.

ReputationRep:
    I think Dude Ranch was probably the last thing they did of any note, after that there's not much worth listening to.
    obviously i disagree

but Dude Ranch is easily Blink at their raw best

ReputationRep:
    I hate Blink182 and the lead singer's voice is soooo annoying!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kieshaxxx)
    pffffft

his voice is cool

what a king:

http://perso.club-internet.fr/mickka...ink182/tom.jpg

ReputationRep:
    Ollie knows my feelings for Blink 182, although he also knows my feelings for thier front-man so I'm going to shut up now...
    Leekey and Delonge, Sitting in a tree...

ReputationRep:
    Aren't Blink182 awesome?!

Come on people, unblock your ears!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kieshaxxx)
    Ha, for a second there I thought you were being serious!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Text_Box)
    Aren't Blink182 awesome?!

Come on people, unblock your ears!
    yes

I love Blink

Tom Delonge is a LEGEND

ReputationRep:
    For a start, the whole 'selling out' thing and 'punk rawk' thing is ********. Seriously. The fact that youre trying to argue about blink182 not being punk and selling out just makes me wonder whether I should reply at all.

Blink182 = amazing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    For a start, the whole 'selling out' thing and 'punk rawk' thing is ********. Seriously. The fact that youre trying to argue about blink182 not being punk and selling out just makes me wonder whether I should reply at all.

Blink182 = amazing.
    But they're not punk, just some MTV joke band put together to make money for the fat cats upstairs by appealing to moronic youngsters to buy their boring meaningless music.
    Punk is dead anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Absolution)
    But they're not punk, just some MTV joke band put together to make money for the fat cats upstairs by appealing to moronic youngsters to buy their boring meaningless music.
    Punk is dead anyway.
    I think that's the point

they themselves say they are not Punk

it is an old tired argument not worth going over

blink are Kings

the end

ReputationRep:
    Punk is dead anyway.
    Sorry? Are you taking the piss? They werent 'put together' by anyone, boring and meaningless lyrics? Name some bands with 'meaningful' lyrics? I can name about 2. 'Punk' isnt a genre of music, its an attitude, which is why the whole thing is *******s.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry? Are you taking the piss? They werent 'put together' by anyone, boring and meaningless lyrics? Name some bands with 'meaningful' lyrics? I can name about 2. 'Punk' isnt a genre of music, its an attitude, which is why the whole thing is *******s.
    Punk IS a genre of music or at least it was, Sex Pistols/Ramones/Clash/New York Dolls etc...mean anything? Probably not i'd guess.

Bands with meaningful lyrics? Christ sake it doesn't take a great deal of thought, go on have a think.

ReputationRep:
    Punk IS a genre of music or at least it was, Sex Pistols/Ramones/Clash/New York Dolls etc...mean anything? Probably not i'd guess.

Bands with meaningful lyrics? Christ sake it doesn't take a great deal of thought, go on have a think.
    lol be honest mate

Punk was not a genre of music at all, it was more of a movement

and yes I do have albums From The Clash and The Damned, they aren't bad but the lyircs still aren't great.

now you have the beetles as your avatar, they sing about an Octopus's Garden and a yellow submarine, so shall we not respect them?

ReputationRep:

No seriously, go on, reel them off, name everyband you know that sing about 'meaningful' things.

Why does it matter what genre of music they are? If you like them, you like them, simple as. Only retards listen to bands that are only 'punk' or dont listen to bands because theyre not 'punk enough'

ReputationRep:
    No seriously, go on, reel them off, name everyband you know that sing about 'meaningful' things.

Why does it matter what genre of music they are? If you like them, you like them, simple as. Only retards listen to bands that are only 'punk' or dont listen to bands because theyre not 'punk enough'
    lol what? Being punk or not has sod all to do with anything, i'm just sick of little teeny boppers such as yourselves thinking blink 182 and the like are actually any good, i mean what the hell are they? Loved by kids of 12 years old and their parents, what a load of cobblers.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.