Hearthstone
    24.49%
    Grand theft auto
    26.53%
    Fallout
    55.10%

ReputationRep:
    What constitutes a hardcore gamer?

I have listed 10 common game franchises: please choose as many games as you think can be associated with someone being a hardcore gamer (choose more than one).

Assume they spend a considerable time playing i.e. above 10 hours a week.

Edit: Why is fallout clearly ahead of all the other options?!

Edit2: Alright after 30 votes here is the conclusion to this thread:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Fallout is by far considered to be the game on this list most likely to be associated with hardcore gaming.

Call of duty is a worthy second.

Angry birds is by far the least likely to be considered a hardcore game.

Discussion:

The only reason suggested for why fallout is top is that it is generally perceived to be the longest game to completion.

Call of duty is perhaps the most competitive on the face of it.

Some may not consider angry birds to be a proper game and perhaps some think it is too easy.

My opinion is that fallout and grand theft auto should be least hardcore as they are mainly about exploring and discovering new fun things to do. There is not really much opportunity to show that you are better than others.

I would suggest that mario kart, fifa, call of duty, hearthstone and pokemon do not generally attract hardcore gamers however can definitely be played in a hardcore way.

The mobile games are not really accepted as being to do with hardcore gaming, although there is definitely a competitive and high difficulty level attached to them which can mimic a similar level of obsession.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xylas)
    What constitutes a hardcore gamer?I have listed 10 common game franchises: please choose as many games as you think can be associated with someone being a hardcore gamer (choose more than one).
    Assume they spend a considerable time playing i.e. above 10 hours a week.
    "A hardcore game: A person who devotes quite a lot of their time into gaming... usually in specific interests
    but is considered good/knowledgeable at most/certain gaming aspects plus is most likely to spend quite a fortune per year on said games" - LeyKtionary

A toned down version would be likes games... gets addicted...gets actually good to a point it's scary... spends monies on games and accessories for days...
    So pretty much any game... just depends on how peeps look at it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeyK)
    "A hardcore game: A person who devotes quite a lot of their time into gaming... usually in specific interests
    but is considered good/knowledgeable at most/certain gaming aspects plus is most likely to spend quite a fortune per year on said games" - LeyKtionary

A toned down version would be likes games... gets addicted...gets actually good to a point it's scary... spends monies on games and accessories for days...
    So pretty much any game... just depends on how peeps look at it
    So you would choose all the games listed?

ReputationRep:
    Fallout and Fifa, I imagine, have the most potential out of the ones listed.

ReputationRep:
    "Hardcore" is just a term insecure nerds use when their hobby becomes popular among the masses and they need to emphasise that elitism smh :sigh:

LeyK explained it best, if you devote your time to any game religiously you're a "hardcore" gamer by definition :yep:

I'm on level 1124 of candy crush currently. I think that makes me sad, rather than a hard core gamer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somemightsay888)
    "Hardcore" is just a term insecure nerds use when their hobby becomes popular among the masses and they need to emphasise that elitism smh :sigh:

LeyK explained it best, if you devote your time to any game religiously you're a "hardcore" gamer by definition :yep:
    So logically any game could make someone a hardcore gamer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Platopus)
    I'm on level 1124 of candy crush currently. I think that makes me sad, rather than a hard core gamer.
    Hey not all hardcore gamers are happy you know :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xylas)
    So you would choose all the games listed?
    Trust me all games there can make you a "hardcore" gamer
    It's just how people would view some games as "simple" (e.g. Candy crush and Angry birds). When actually you'll be surprised that some people will take extremes to exploit those games "nooks and crannys" <--(first time typing that :lol:)

And pretty much another way to view it without being to dictionary like is @somemightsay88
    All about beating/annihilating the game to a point people are amazed with their "talents"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xylas)
    So logically any game could make someone a hardcore gamer?
    Imo, most mobile games, unless console ports or whatever, aren't really games, they're *****y "click this, click that" apps that serve to peddle microtransactions. Most of these games are exempt.

But I suppose so yeah, I don't think "hardcore" umbrellas any games, just games in general. Play a lot of games = Hardcore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeyK)
    Trust me all games there can make you a "hardcore" gamer
    It's just how people would view some games as "simple" (e.g. Candy crush and Angry birds). When actually you'll be surprised that some people will take extremes to exploit those games "nooks and crannys" <--(first time typing that :lol:)

And pretty much another way to view it without being to dictionary like is @somemightsay88
    All about beating/annihilating the game to a point people are amazed with their "talents"
    I don't have to trust you, that's what the poll is for

The results so far don't seem to agree with you tbf.

ReputationRep:
    Imo, most mobile games, unless console ports or whatever, aren't really games, they're *****y "click this, click that" apps that serve to peddle microtransactions. Most of these games are exempt.

But I suppose so yeah, I don't think "hardcore" umbrellas any games, just games in general. Play a lot of games = Hardcore.
    Interesting so it's more the number of games you play not which games...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xylas)
    I don't have to trust you, that's what the poll is for

The results so far don't seem to agree with you tbf.
    lol... My opinion won't make a difference to the standings... It actually predicted such.
    Another predicton.. COD, Fifa and Fallout will be the top ones... Dunno why Fallout would be there but I have hope :crossedf:

ReputationRep:
    Fallout/GTA.

I mean completing both games.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xylas)
    Interesting so it's more the number of games you play not which games...
    Imo yeah.

Although, there's obvs different degrees of depth involved.

It'll take around 150 hours to see absolutely everything Fallout 4 has to offer for example.
    It'll take about 15 minutes to see what Wii Sports has to offer.

Hence why Fallout is running away in your poll and the Clash of Clans voters are probably trolling :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeyK)
    lol... My opinion won't make a difference to the standings... It actually predicted such.
    Another predicton.. COD, Fifa and Fallout will be the top ones... Dunno why Fallout would be there but I have hope :crossedf:
    Yeah I don't know why fallout is so far ahead...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tamil Tiger)
    Fallout/GTA.

I mean completing both games.
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xylas)
    Why?
    Requires console/high end pc so more likely to be invested in gaming.

Relatively high difficulty

ReputationRep:
    Imo yeah.

Although, there's obvs different degrees of depth involved.

It'll take around 150 hours to see absolutely everything Fallout 4 has to offer for example.
    It'll take about 15 minutes to see what Wii Sports has to offer.

Hence why Fallout is running away in your poll and the Clash of Clans voters are probably trolling :lol:
    Yeah but just because a game is big doesn't make one a hardcore gamer. It just means it's a AAA/ blockbuster title.

My opinion is that you're more likely to be a hardcore gamer if you play smaller titles that the average gamer hasn't even heard about...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tamil Tiger)
    Requires console/high end pc so more likely to be invested in gaming.

Relatively high difficulty
    I disagree. I would say candy crush is more difficult than fallout/gta especially since you can change the difficulty in the latter.

Also games like fifa and call of duty require consoles/pc and can be perceived as difficult so why the distinction?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.