Grand theft auto
    26.53%
    Fallout
    55.10%

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by xylas)
    So logically any game could make someone a hardcore gamer?
    Pretty much. I went through what I would consider a hardcore gamer phase some years ago - I would only ever play one game, but I'd get right down to the specifics, create strategies and discover tactics, set records... Hardcore and dedicated, whatever way you look at it and regardless of the game.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by INTit)
    Some games I'd consider hardcore:
    CS:GO
    Starcraft 2
    COD,
    LOL
    Street fighter
    Dark Souls
    WoW
    Grand strategy games
    Rogue-likes
    EXACTLY.

These are hardcore gaming games.

Mario Kart, Fifa, Wii Sports etc are NOT hardcore gaming games.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByronicHero)
    No. I play LOL but these days either ARAM (fun mode) or normals (not ranked) where I play champions in the wrong positions and just have fun messing around. I genuinely couldn't care less if I win or not.

I play some LOL. Some Hearthstone. Then I infrequently (but intensely) play strategy games such as Europa Universalis. I'd say in an average week I might play 5 or 6 hours of games with much of it just killing time while I listen to podcasts or whatever.
    LOL isn't an esport it's a MOBA so I don't know why you are disagreeing.

By some definitions already posted you would be considered a hardcore gamer. But I don't think so due to the fact you tend to avoid ranked matches (except hearthstone obvsly).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gucci Mane.)
    No. When people think "hardcore gamer", this is what they imagine:

Most of the games in the list are too popular to be considered in the realm of hardcore gaming. Call of Duty is the only one that could be considered in the realm of hardcore gaming.
    You are thinking professional... not hardcore. 2 different things my bro...
    hardcore is about devotion to be the best in that game/s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    Pretty much. I went through what I would consider a hardcore gamer phase some years ago - I would only ever play one game, but I'd get right down to the specifics, create strategies and discover tactics, set records... Hardcore and dedicated, whatever way you look at it and regardless of the game.
    No mate.

If you spend all your time playing Fifa or Mario Kart, then you are just a loser with too much free time.

Whereas if you spend all your time playing COD or WoW, you are a hardcore gamer (you're still a loser, but a slightly more respectable loser).

To be considered a hardcore gamer, you have to play certain types of games.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by INTit)
    You could argue COD, Hearthstone and Fifa as they have some esport presense not top tier games though imo.

When I think hardcore games the criteria that come to mind are: Esport, Exceptionally difficult, large learning curves, obsessve player bases where the average player puts in 100s of hours. Games with those characteristics are unlikely to appeal to casuals.

Some games I'd consider hardcore:
    CS:GO
    Starcraft 2
    COD,
    LOL
    Street fighter
    Dark Souls
    WoW
    Grand strategy games
    Rogue-likes
    Yeah agreed. But many people are voting on the poll anyway and I'm surprised fallout is the top choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeyK)
    You are thinking professional... not hardcore. 2 different things my bro...
    hardcore is about devotion to be the best in that game/s
    No, I am not thinking professional.

There is nothing f***ing hardcore about Mario Kart :lol:

ReputationRep:
    No mate.

If you spend all your time playing Fifa or Mario Kart, then you are just a loser with too much free time.

Whereas if you spend all your time playing COD or WoW, you are hardcore gamer (still a loser, but a slightly more respectable loser).

I don't see what calling people 'losers' achieves?

Actually I don't see a difference between spending alot of your time trying to be the best at COD compared to mario kart or fifa. Both would be hardcore gaming I think everyone agrees if you play in such a way that competition and ranking are the main goals.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by xylas)
    LOL isn't an esport it's a MOBA so I don't know why you are disagreeing.

By some definitions already posted you would be considered a hardcore gamer. But I don't think so due to the fact you tend to avoid ranked matches (except hearthstone obvsly).
    You think that "esport" and "moba" are mutually exclusive categories? I'm afraid I disagree with you entirely, as would most people involved in the gaming world that I'm aware of. Esports is an umbrella term that encompasses many different kinds of games.

Sure, but I would contend that those definitions were nonsense

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    Agreed. Not many people know what kind of dedication and skill (both requiring a lot of time) it takes to do hardcore gaming.

ReputationRep:
    You think that "esport" and "moba" are mutually exclusive categories? I'm afraid I disagree with you entirely, as would most people involved in the gaming world that I'm aware of. Esports is an umbrella term that encompasses many different kinds of games.
    No they're not mutually exclusive but MOBA is not contained within esports as a category. That's why when you said "no. I play LOL in fun mode" I can't understand how that disproves playing esports is about winning.

In other words LOL is not an esport but it can be played as one. Of course esports encompasses so many kinds of games, that is my main point.

Sure, but I would contend that those definitions were nonsense
    Haha try telling that to @LeyK and @somemightsay888

ReputationRep:
    No, I am not thinking professional.

There is nothing f***ing hardcore about Mario Kart :lol:
    xylas you see what I mean. :rofl:

Either way as a game designer (in training) that's my take on hardcore gaming :cool:

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the situation. For instance, I would consider games like Dark Souls or Ninja Gaiden "hardcore", but it is also true that MMO games require a good level of skill if the user wants to be highly competitive. Probably the correct definition could be "hardcore gamer is that person that plays with little effort a challenging game" and the challenge could be a strong IA, difficult mechanics or other skilled players.

Fallout is not difficult at all. If you take it seriously and want to win with all one-shots, then you can make it difficult by studying the best character creation ever. Otherwise even if you selected perks randomly, you still have good chances to win.

I would say, based on the list, COD, Pokemon, Fifa. Never tried Heartstone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeyK)
    xylas you see what I mean. :rofl:

Either way as a game designer (in training) that's my take on hardcore gaming :cool:
    Haha :P

Good luck, games are awesome and hope you can make something cool and original!

ReputationRep:
    i selected fallout 4, gta 5 and cod 4, also the one two three of the poll. That proves that i am one huh? lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xylas)
    Haha :P

Good luck, games are awesome and hope you can make something cool and original!
    Thanks bro... Hopefully :crossedf:
    All I'll insight for now is one idea for the future is quite.. unusual. simple but unusual... and probably extremely hard

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hank1996)
    It depends on the situation. For instance, I would consider games like Dark Souls or Ninja Gaiden "hardcore", but it is also true that MMO games require a good level of skill if the user wants to be highly competitive. Probably the correct definition could be "hardcore gamer is that person that plays with little effort a challenging game" and the challenge could be a strong IA, difficult mechanics or other skilled players.

Fallout is not difficult at all. If you take it seriously and want to win with all one-shots, then you can make it difficult by studying the best character creation ever. Otherwise even if you selected perks randomly, you still have good chances to win.

I would say, based on the list, COD, Pokemon, Fifa. Never tried Heartstone.
    Completely agree. Interesting poll huh?

Hearthstone is pretty fun and addicting especially at the beginning. I would definitely recommend but it's not a must-play like most of the other games.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john2054)
    i selected fallout 4, gta 5 and cod 4, also the one two three of the poll. That proves that i am one huh? lol
    Yay for Mr status quo!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by xylas)
    No they're not mutually exclusive but MOBA is not contained within esports as a category. That's why when you said "no. I play LOL in fun mode" I can't understand how that disproves playing esports is about winning.

In other words LOL is not an esport but it can be played as one. Of course esports encompasses so many kinds of games, that is my main point.
    You said "but if you play esports surely you care about winning".

I pointed out that 1) I play esports and 2) do not care very much about winning. We disagree about the definition of an "esport" but my comment was an entirely reasonable one given your statement.

I understand the distinction you are making - essentially that it is the act of caring about winning that makes a game an esport and that the same game can thus be an esport to some people and not to others on that basis. I don't agree, but I think your position is reasonable.

Haha try telling that to @LeyK and @somemightsay888
    I don't need to. They are free to agree or disagree with me as they see fit, and their choosing the latter has no ill effect on me
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    No mate.

Whereas if you spend all your time playing COD or WoW, you are a hardcore gamer (you're still a loser, but a slightly more respectable loser).

Hardcore: the most active, committed, or doctrinaire members of a group or movement.

If you dedicate a lot of time to gaming, regardless of game, that makes you a hardcore gamer. The complexity of the game is irrelevant, that's just you being pedantic.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.