24.49%
    Grand theft auto
    26.53%
    Fallout
    55.10%

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    All games. Some of these "true" (e.g. those who make memes about candy crush) gamers don't view people who play stuff like candy crush as gamers because of things about the game being too simple. Which is ****in stupid because stuff like Hearthstone is a TCG and there is an esport for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByronicHero)
    You said "but if you play esports surely you care about winning".

I pointed out that 1) I play esports and 2) do not care very much about winning. We disagree about the definition of an "esport" but my comment was an entirely reasonable one given your statement.

I understand the distinction you are making - essentially that it is the act of caring about winning that makes a game an esport and that the same game can thus be an esport to some people and not to others on that basis. I don't agree, but I think your position is reasonable.

I don't need to. They are free to agree or disagree with me as they see fit, and their choosing the latter has no ill effect on me
    You did not say yourself that you play esports, you only said you play LOL, hearthstone and europa universalis.

There is nothing to disagree with so far that's what I'm trying to say.

Unless according to you:

Is hearthstone an esport?

If I play LOL casually on and off, am I playing an esport?

Do people play fifa as an esport?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vikingninja)
    All games. Some of these "true" (e.g. those who make memes about candy crush) gamers don't view people who play stuff like candy crush as gamers because of things about the game being too simple. Which is ****in stupid because stuff like Hearthstone is a TCG and there is an esport for it.
    This.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by xylas)
    You did not say yourself that you play esports, you only said you play LOL, hearthstone and europa universalis.

There is nothing to disagree with so far that's what I'm trying to say.

Unless according to you:

Is hearthstone an esport?

If I play LOL casually on and off, am I playing an esport?

Do people play fifa as an esport?
    Yes, yes, generally no. For me esports refers to games with meaningful professional scenes (which is somewhat arbitrary, agreed, but is the standard I choose to personally apply nonetheless). You are free to disagree, but I'm not going to explain my position again as it should be very clear - whether you agree with it or not. I really don't care whether something is or isn't an esport, or whether one is or isn't a hardcore gamer. I have provided the definitions I have tended to use and you have disagreed with them. That's completely fine. Whether you, or anyone else, thinks I am or am not playing an esport is completely irrelevant to me :dontknow:

If you don't want my opinion, or are going to refuse to accept it, then don't ask for it. I am unlikely to reply beyond this.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, yes, generally no. For me esports refers to games with meaningful professional scenes (which is somewhat arbitrary, agreed, but is the standard I choose to personally apply nonetheless). You are free to disagree, but I'm not going to explain my position again as it should be very clear - whether you agree with it or not. I really don't care whether something is or isn't an esport, or whether one is or isn't a hardcore gamer. I have provided the definitions I have tended to use and you have disagreed with them. That's completely fine. Whether you, or anyone else, thinks I am or am not playing an esport is completely irrelevant to me :dontknow:

If you don't want my opinion, or are going to refuse to accept it, then don't ask for it. I am unlikely to reply beyond this.
    No-one cares how likely you are to respond! If you don't want to reply on this thread then don't!

I don't have to accept your opinion, why would you assume I would?? In fact nearly all the other posters including the one above disagree with you.

"I really don't care whether something is or isn't an esport, or whether one is or isn't a hardcore gamer."

You sound like an idiot as that's what this thread is about.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by xylas)
    No-one cares how likely you are to respond! If you don't want to reply on this thread then don't!

I don't have to accept your opinion, why would you assume I would?? In fact nearly all the other posters including the one above disagree with you.

"I really don't care whether something is or isn't an esport, or whether one is or isn't a hardcore gamer."

You sound like an idiot as that's what this thread is about.
    1) I didn't say you have to accept it. I suggested that a course of action accompany your not doing so. These are different things. Please attempt to respond to things people actually write, rather than things you make up in your head. This will take some practice, no doubt, but I believe in you.
    2) One can comment on a thread, or offer experiences or analysis pertaining to that thread, without caring about the conclusion of that thread.

Given your wilful misrepresentation of what I wrote, your inability to comprehend basic statements and your willingness to resort to ad hominems in place of any meaningful engagement with what somebody has written, the irony of you calling anyone else an idiot is amusing.

If I want to have an argument of the type you seem to want to engage in I will speak to my seven year old niece.

Enjoy the rest of your day

ReputationRep:
    1) I didn't say you have to accept it. I suggested that a course of action accompany your not doing so. These are different things. Please attempt to respond to things people actually write, rather than things you make up in your head. This will take some practice, no doubt, but I believe in you.
    2) One can comment on a thread, or offer experiences or analysis pertaining to that thread, without caring about the conclusion of that thread.

Given your wilful misrepresentation of what I wrote, your inability to comprehend basic statements and your willingness to resort to ad hominems in place of any meaningful engagement with what somebody has written, the irony of you calling anyone else an idiot is amusing.

If I want to have an argument of the type you seem to want to engage in I will speak to my seven year old niece.

Enjoy the rest of your day
    Haha I knew you would respond! Unlikely my ass

I read all your words but you still can't read mine. The operative word was 'assume'.

You're the only one who's used ad hominems mate, nice irrelevant post btw.

'conclusion of the thread' lmao are you new to TSR???

I didn't call you an idiot but now I think you may be on to something

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xylas)
    Completely agree. Interesting poll huh?

Hearthstone is pretty fun and addicting especially at the beginning. I would definitely recommend but it's not a must-play like most of the other games.
    Yeah, I like this pool. Do you play Hearthstone? Is it similar to other card game like Magic? I really have no idea of how it is. Would you define it hardcore?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Why are there people referring to certain games THEMSELVES as esports?

ReputationRep:
    None they are all casual, cancer rubbish

Console peasants are such plebs

ReputationRep:
    I guess Pokemon and CoD have the potential to become competitive, otherwise I'd have to agree with INTit's list

"Hardcore" category really belongs in the PC's ballpark, not the console

ReputationRep:
    I think you're a hardcore gamer when you download a SNES emulator on your phone to play Chronotrigger, the greatest RPG of all time hehe
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    Candy crush. :rofl:
    If that's the case, then most mums I see on the bus are "hardcore gamers".

ReputationRep:
    >no dark souls
    >no dragons dogma
    >no vampire masquerade
    >no DOOM
    >no morrowind
    >no age of empires
    >no counter strike
    >no mount and blade

console pleb confirmed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hussm)
    I think you're a hardcore gamer when you download a SNES emulator on your phone to play Chronotrigger, the greatest RPG of all time hehe
    CHRONOTRIGGER!!! Yes omg, I love the soundtrack for the game too.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Cant believe you dont have things like counterstrike and wow on there plus the other mmos. Rubbish list.
    Hardcore is a mix of the amount of time and way you play it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGreatImposter)
    CHRONOTRIGGER!!! Yes omg, I love the soundtrack for the game too.
    You know it. Blows the Final Fantasy games out of the water.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hussm)
    You know it. Blows the Final Fantasy games out of the water.
    I've never played the final fantasy games but yeah I loved frog's and robo's theme and lavos was amazing and it's just one of those games that don't get enough praise, such a classic
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serah.exe)
    this.is.amazing.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.