Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Yet another new advert on TV that's frustrated me. Another advert aimed at teenage relationships where it's assumed the male must be the aggressor in any physical or emotionally abusive relationship...

https://www.disrespectnobody.co.uk/

The message is disrespect nobody but in all instances they are using examples of a boyfriend abusing his girlfriend, could not one have had "if your girlfriend hits you when she's cross?" type of messages. It hardly stops the stereotype that men feel weak admitting their female partner is abusing them when all examples seem to show girls as the only ones who can come forward.

Clearly this research is somewhat old but since it asked over 5,000 of each gender it's not a bad sample size and found...

"In England and Wales, the 1995 "Home Office Research Study 191" found that in the twelve months prior to the survey, 4.2% of both men and woman between the ages of 16 and 59 had been assaulted by an intimate."

If anything it could be worse with more recent research suggesting women (in western nations at least) are getting involved in more violent criminal offenses.

Clearly men have a greater chance of causing more severe physical damage if they hit a partner, but a lot of these targeted messages are discussing aspects of abuse both sexes can easily carry out (controlling behavior).

Just thing the message would be better to focus on "do not abuse your partner" than using genders.

.....le rant over.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with you joey11223!

ReputationRep:
    just came in to post that women are like dogs. You gotta be dominant, not aggressive - the more dominant you can be without resorting to aggression the more she'll do whatever you say.

ReputationRep:
    It came up doing the advert break of a show my roomates and I were watching. We're all men, and we all had the same reaction.

ReputationRep:
    Total ******** advert

but muh-soggy-knee!

ReputationRep:
    Just had an ad about consent come up telling viewers: "If there's no consent, it's rape". Apparently UK GovT doesn't understand the law

Also, if I want to communicate what/who I'm happy/unhappy with a girl wearing/speaking to, that's a matter for us, not the interfering government

Love the way the preachy 'progressive' pussies have disabled all contacts on their videos and have zero social media presence. Orwellian BS

Petition: Remove the "Disrespect NoBody" ad across all platforms (TV, Radio, Ect.)

ReputationRep:
    Completely agree. All of the examples bar one involve situations where the male is the abuser. Even examples which could easily be used examples of more typically female abuse.

The advert is aimed exclusively at men.

As a point though. Is it really unacceptable for someone to tell their partner they are unhappy with the way they have dress, or are speaking to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farm_Ecology)

As a point though. Is it really unacceptable for someone to tell their partner they are unhappy with the way they have dress, or are speaking to?
    I actually thought that. My colour co-ordination on outfits is a bit...****. My girlfriend used to sigh and suggest X top being better to wear with X trousers, she even made a diagram explaining what colours pair well and which shades of them are too light/dark to pair well with other items etc. It was as a sort of joke but...it was kinda useful.

I didn't think of it as negative or abusive. But I imagine it's depending on the tone "don't wear that, wear this. I said wear this you **** idiot." sort of thing might be what they mean.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.