Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So after I graduate from university I want to study for 1 year Mandarin language in China

I know that I can potentially get help from the British Council for grant funding but is there anywhere else I can get additional financial support from to fund this?

The Chinese government seems to only fund those that are doing a full undergraduate degree when all I want is to study a 1 year language course.

My Chinese language skill atm is about HSK 2

thanks
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    No idea, presumably there is some kind of Anglo-Chinese cultural society which might offer grants - do some googling. Maybe dragonkeeper999 can help?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by The Pib)
    So after I graduate from university I want to study for 1 year Mandarin language in China

I know that I can potentially get help from the British Council for grant funding but is there anywhere else I can get additional financial support from to fund this?

The Chinese government seems to only fund those that are doing a full undergraduate degree when all I want is to study a 1 year language course.

My Chinese language skill atm is about HSK 2

thanks

You could easily get a British council scholarship no problem, they cover your tuition and basic living costs (around £120 a month, for either one semester or a year depending on how long the course is). This is what I was on last semester.

As you mentioned, there's also the China scholarship council ones which tend to be more generous but require some previous Chinese language skills (which you have) and supposedly commitment to a degree - however in your case you *may* be able to say that you intend to stay on at the uni for a master's afterwards, so this is the language preparation for that which might work, I remember talking to someone in the lift here who was trying to do that but no idea if it worked. Alternatively, one of the British council scholarships is in collaboration with the Chinese scholarship council (the one that you can go to any uni/ course for) which looks pretty decent.

I've also just heard about the 'global futute leaders progeam' at en.eol-gfl.com which British council emailed us about literally yesterday. I don't know much about it, but they say they will cover tuition, living costs and place you with a host family, it looks pretty good. Only for Beijing and Shanghai though.

Some Chinese universities might have their own scholarships available too, so have a look around
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Also, of you can get to HSK 3 standard quick enough check out the Confucius Institute scholarship: http://english.hanban.org/jxjen.htm

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.