Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Prenups- yay or nay Watch

• View Poll Results: Will you be getting one?
    Yes
    50.00%
    No
    32.14%
    Undecided
    17.86%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    You should qualify that. They are not legally binding, but if one exists hey are the starting point and are generally adhered to by the court unless they think they are unfair.
    I am trying to qualify this statement. I have invited a matrimonial solicitor in TSR, but he is struggling to fit me in.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt a pen nup like that would stand and the court would ignore it.
    What do you mean?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by M14B)
    I am trying to qualify this statement. I have invited a matrimonial solicitor in TSR, but he is struggling to fit me in.
    What's that meant to mean?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    What do you mean?
    They arent legally binding, but if one exists they will follow it unless they think its unfair. making sure your partner gets nothing is hardly fair,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    you need to make a space in ur box

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slutty Salafi)
    you need to make a space in ur box
    Oh I didn't realise,okay

ReputationRep:
    I'm all for the prenuptial agreement. It's simply a piece of paper she has to sign, heck it will hopefully never be seen or used again, just a quick signature and boom job done

ReputationRep:
    They arent legally binding, but if one exists they will follow it unless they think its unfair. making sure your partner gets nothing is hardly fair,
    Why is it not fair? If I earned my money I should be allowed to keep all of it.

ReputationRep:
    Easy, family trust funds - protect assets without the awkwardness of a prenup

ReputationRep:
    What if you have children together,should men still be required to pay child support after the divorce?
    This comment shows a problem with family courts and the fact that it is assumed that the mother will get custody.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    This comment shows a problem with family courts and the fact that it is assumed that the mother will get custody.
    The mother usually does in most cases?

ReputationRep:
    Tsr is full of naive student lefty types and those madly in love with that first girlfriend and so the responses you get won't be those that are rational and thought through, they will be those of a love sick child. Play the long game and do the sensible thing people

ReputationRep:
    The mother usually does in most cases?
    Yes they do and that is the problem.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Why is it not fair? If I earned my money I should be allowed to keep all of it.
    Because there is no probision for the wife and part of that money is earned whilst you are married as a parnership. You also dont know ehether there are any children involved.

She would have to be a very desperate or stupid wife to marry someone like that imo.

ReputationRep:
    Because there is no probision for the wife and part of that money is earned whilst you are married as a parnership. You also dont know ehether there are any children involved.

She would have to be a very desperate or stupid wife to marry someone like that imo.
    But the prenup also means that I'm not allowed to take any of her money if we get divorced. It works both ways- we both keep our own money.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    But the prenup also means that I'm not allowed to take any of her money if we get divorced. It works both ways- we both keep our own money.
    well the courts look at it and follow the guidelines if they think its unfair they wont follow it.

If your lucky wife owns very little before the marriage, then to deny her a penny is hardly a fair bargaining power. If you dont regularly update the prenup to take account of changes, then thats also another reason they might not uphold it. Children being the prime example.

ReputationRep:
    Yes so it can protect either party although they're pretty much useless. I probably won't get married anyways.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah and if my wife dared divorce me I would make her life and future happiness unbearable....impose conditions on the property such as she must sell (getting me my hard earned equity) if she 1. Cohabits 2. The children become aged 21.......honestly it wouldn't be worth divorcing me.......I call the shots #rant

ReputationRep:
    For the girls saying no:

If you're saying no to the prenups because it may cause doubts within the relationship, if you were to get divorced without any prenups, would you ask for the husbands money?

This applies the other way round, for the boys, would you ask for your wife's money?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by UTG8)
    Easy, family trust funds - protect assets without the awkwardness of a prenup
    Kind of , but the court has exrensive powers to take all property into consideration.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 28, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.