Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Prenups- yay or nay Watch

• View Poll Results: Will you be getting one?
    Yes
    50.00%
    No
    32.14%
    Undecided
    17.86%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Kind of , but the court has exrensive powers to take all property into consideration.
    But i thought the point was that any property doesn't belong to you, only the trust, and is treated as separate property. Ik that;s simplistic, but for example if the trust is completely discretionary and established by the parents (as is the likely case in marriages since people tend to be young) then it can't be touched, right?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by UTG8)
    But i thought the point was that any property doesn't belong to you, but the trust and is treated as separate property. (Obviously simplified) And also if the trust is completely discretionary and established by parents for ex/ (as is the likely case in marriages since people tend to be young) then it can't be touched, right?
    Courts will consider and decide what benefit you get from the trust and how to consider it.

The types of orders a court can make depend on what type of trust is in question.
    Sometimes the court’s powers are very limited. If the interest is not immediately available, and if no distributions have been made by way of income or capital, then there may be little impact on the financial settlement.

Alternatively, if one of you has been receiving income and/or capital on a regular basis, then the courts are more likely to look at this as a financial resource – and one that can be relied on as continuing in the future.

If the trust is “nuptial”, then the courts have much wider powers.
    One of the biggest assets is normally the house, so they could just alter the share of the procees o take one parties benefit from a trust into acccount.

Thats all a bit off topic, which is pre nups, if updated and not unfair will be upheld by the courts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nile.)
    Lol good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The older you get the less money is that important to you. I've been married 15 years and am not far off being a millionaire. If my wife wanted out I'd hapilly give her half. In fact, I'd not worry too much if I was left with 10% of it. I'd either (a) just make it again or (b) not bother - go and live somewhere like Guatemala on pennies doing sweet FA all day.

Money isn't that important. Nice to have but I spent years living in 1 bedroom bedsits and cheap motels. I can handle it pretty well.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 28, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.